Question about Moringstar Pro-Star 30

Options
fatfenders
fatfenders Registered Users Posts: 5
I have just wired up the controller and realized I don't know if it matters, and if it does, what state the ProStar should be in when I am charging my batteries with a normal battery charger.

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Question about Moringstar Pro-Star 30

No worries; the Prostar changes state according to battery Voltage. Depending on what battery charger you have it will either follow along as Voltage goes up to Absorb or languish in Bulk if the charger can't push the Voltage high enough. If the charger can only do Bulk and there's enough sun, the controller may be able to do the "finish charging" (Absorb & Float).
  • fatfenders
    fatfenders Registered Users Posts: 5
    Options

Great. Thanks for the quick response!
    Now another question... The unit is installed in a small RV travel trailer. I realize the ProStar only uses 25mA but this thing sits for months at a time. I am thinking of wiring a simple on/off switch (mounted near the ProStar) to open the + Battery circuit when not in use. Is that a good thing to do with this kind of an application?
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

If it sits with the panels in sun, leave it; it will keep the battery up. Otherwise you should disconnect the panels first, then everything from the battery. Give the battery an occasional charge. When reconnecting, hook up the battery first then the panels.