M C cable definition

westbranch
westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
I have seen pictures of MC boxes and MC cables but for the life of me I have not found a definition of what MC stands for...??? & can some one explain the origin of MC ? why do we need them? etc etc.

thanks
Eric

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
West Chilcotin, BC, Canada

Comments

• icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: M C cable definition

MC= Metal clad.

I am not current on NEC or CSA, but I suspect that they want the wire runs to be "protected" by the cladding. I"m sure someone else can clarify NEC or CSA.

Icarus
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

There is MC cable for AC - Metallic Cable
    there is MC for Solar- the plug or connector, it means multi contact. The wire in not metallic cable.

The NEC code has decided the new connectors will be MC4's they have a latching lock system.
  • icarus

Shows you what I know!
  • System2

Who among us knows everything about everything?
    Would that person please stand up?
    It sure isn't me. LOL
  • westbranch

Thanks guys.
    My reason for asking is I just looked at the Mitsubishi site and the latest listing for my panels now shows that they come with MC cable connectors on the output terminal. I have some older version panels that just need plain old wire ( for the output).

So is there a way to 'merge' these 2 wire types? :confused:

From this page it looks iffy... http://www.multi-contact-usa.com/pdf/literature/solarline-1.pdf

Cheers

Eric

CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
  • rplarry
    rplarry Solar Expert Posts: 203 ✭✭

Westbranch,
    MC cables have male and female connectors and are basically designed to be plug and play, If you do not have MC connectors on all your panels then you can simply clip/cut the connector off and extend the wire to your junction box by soldering or crimping the wires together.
    Larry
  • icarus

It's a new (old) twist on plug and play,,,I've been doing it for years,,,Cut and play! So many things are designed to be "simple" Problem is it makes it hard to mix and match stuff. Sometimes a good thing, but not always.

Icarus
  • System2
    westbranch wrote: »
    So is there a way to 'merge' these 2 wire types?

Eric

Buy a male/female MC cable and cut it in half, use the cut ends to wire normally.

Cheers,

Bad Apple
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭
  • Telco
    Telco Solar Expert Posts: 201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who among us knows everything about everything?
    Would that person please stand up?
    It sure isn't me. LOL

I know everything about everything, there's not a thing I don't know. If I don't know it yet, it doesn't exist yet. When I learn something new, I know that now too, and there is an increase in the existing world. When I forget something, the existing world becomes smaller, for I don't know about it any more.

I am the center of the universe, all things revolve around me. I know this because I can turn in a full circle and see stuff in all directions, with myself in the center.

There are also only 600 people in the world. I've never seen more at the same time with my own eyes.

There are never single cows, there are always 2 cows, to the cow. Each eye sees a different world that never meet, therefore there must be two cows, with each one looking at a different world.

I wish the nonexistent people in the stock market would run my stocks up so I could retire, so that the corporate world can disappear forever. But then, if the corporate world disappeared forever, would Dilbert still be funny?

Sorry, couldn't resist... :p
  • westbranch

Hmmmm... :confused:

I do not see a wire guage mentioned in the W/S link.
    Anyone know what ga. they would be?
    I currently have 10/3 ga. multi-strand Cabtire...

Eric

• PhilS
    PhilS Solar Expert Posts: 370 ✭✭✭

"Buy a male/female MC cable and cut it in half, use the cut ends to wire normally."

That's what I did just in case there was a warranty problem with the panels. Cutting the MC connectors off would void the warranty I'm sure.

Phil