need controll panel for 3 way charging

Options
in need of a controll panel that can since, manage and controll three things. Solar
panel, wind generator and a motor driven gen. I am looking for three ways to keep
my bank charged. During low light and no wind. Looking for a panel that can measurre
input from the wind generator and solar panel. This panel needs to since battery
load demand and incomming current from both sorces. If either or chargers are not
keeping up with demand this panel needs to have the capabality of turning on a third
option. A motorised gen to off set the lack of power comming in from the other two
chargers. When load demand and bank charge is up to limits it will need to shut off
this third generator.
See I want all three areas covered. If low light and no wind no incomming charge.
battery bank dies. With a controlled third input being a electric generator all
areas sre covered. Battery bank charge stays up and load on bank is as well covered.
I am using 12 volt bank
Hope someone can help in this quest. thanks Melvin bigsmel@vidiacom.com

Comments

• System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options
    Re: need controll panel for 3 way charging

I would build my own. Since I don't know what kind of current we're talking about, I'll assume you could use MX60 charge controllers. This might be over kill for a charge controller in your case but I don't know what you have for components. I would also use a dc voltage sensitive relay with adjustable hysteresis. that could activate your ac input on the inverter, which units like Outback and many others actually will charge your battery bank with ac input.

There are so many possibilities. I would have to know exactly what you have for components, etc. before I could draw you a schematic that you could use for your system.
    Kimberly
  • System2
    Options

I have a 45 watt solar charger w controller. I will have a pma wind charger with a 60 amp flex charger controll module with a dump load. I wish to add a third item. a dc or ac motor driven alternator to charge the battery bank when the solar and or both wind gen is not charging the bank or able to keep up with demand. This way I have all ereas covered. when I have wind I have incomming charge. good sunny days i have the help of solar power. on quit cloudy days I have nothing.well not enought to carry the load and or need. by adding a third item the draw and charging of the bank can be maintained. to do this one needs to have the abality to switch on and off this third source of input. Its output will be driven not only by it's own power but produce more then it uses and will be able to maintain the bank.
    So this controll panel I am looking for has to know its inputs, amount of input,where it is comming from and when to add this third scource according to the banks health and needs to maintain a good charge.
    This way regardless of the outdoor conditions I can have a way to keep my bank open. hope you can help. need more info send me a email thanks melvin
    I have very little knowledge on building a circuit board but wouldbe willing to try.
  • nigtomdaw
    nigtomdaw Solar Expert Posts: 705 ✭✭
    Options

If your system is DC only then a DC generator with a voltage sensoring autostart auto stop would fit the bill.

If your system requires or uses AC then any of the modern Inverter Chargers with Automatic Generator Start modules either built in as with Outback and SW by Xantrex or as an additional module that works with the Inverter Charger like Magnum Energy and the new Xantrex XW can utilise a standard AC generator to provide power to the inverter which then converts the AC to DC to charge the batteries.

The solar charge controller and wind turbine controller do there job based on the systems battery voltage as do the automatic generator systems.

http://www.freesunpower.com/overview.php Has some nice graphics which will help you have a browse. Also this site owner has some excellent educational references http://www.windsun.com/
  • System2
    Options

thanks for the message. where would one look for a 12 DC generator with a voltage sensoring autostart auto stop I am all 12 volt. I do run a 12v to 110 ac inverter
    I can make a dc or ac driven generator using a GM alternator. so I may only need this voltage sensing auto start auto stop device?? Hook it to the generator and I should be ready to go! This 3rd way of creating energy needs to know when to come on and when to go off automatically according to the battery bank state of charge. If the wind is blowing good I will have incomming charge and if the sun is up and good I have incomming charge. this device I believe I need needs to since when additional charging is needed and when it is not and have the abality to add this 3rd charging station when the other two can not keep the bank fully charged. Or keep up with the systems demand.
  • Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

bigsmel,
    Speaking of wind, Central Oaklahoma...how are things anchored down in tornado alley? I cringe when i see my H80 unit buffeting around in 40-50mph winds:D

Ralph
  • System2
    Options

not to bad. the wind does change alot. one day slight brezze and the next 10-25 mph gusting to 35 and up. guy wires help keep things closer. bigsmel