Large Scale Ground Mount Systems

Philip C
Philip C Solar Expert Posts: 45
What racking company would you use for large scale ground mount systems, 100kW+
The cost of labor is a significant factor also.

Thanks
Philip

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Large Scale Ground Mount Systems

Not that I can help you with a recommendation, but is this going to be in the Milwaukee, WI area?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Philip C
    Philip C Solar Expert Posts: 45

No the Milwaukee job is not ours. Looking at different systems today, it appears some are driving an I-Beam into the ground. This seems like it can reduce labor cost quite a bit.

Got another question, are solar trackers still feasible? With Module prices hitting sub $1/W, its hard to believe one would want to deal with the hassle of moving parts. They say it can deliver up to 25% more energy. My guess is that the initial investment would have to be under 10%, as service and maintenance is increased also.

Philip
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

Its easy to compare the tracker system cost to PV panels, probably will fall in favour of more PV and no hassles...

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Here is an older thread (2009) about:

Solar Trackers for PV -- Worth it ?

"Dave Sparks", and installer that specializes in Off-Grid systems in the California Sierra Nevada Mountains still likes trackers because of better battery life (more hours of charging during the day)...

You may also be able to make a case if you have grid power and Time of Use metering (can be as high as $0.50 during summer afternoons in my area of California) vs the $0.09 for bottom tier off peak net metered power.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset