Which 24v Inverter to get??

Options
ywhic
ywhic Solar Expert Posts: 621 ✭✭
I am narrowing it down.. based on PM's and reviews on Amazon.. (ugghh)

I am looking at this Sun 2500P Stackable 2500/5000 watt one for $200 or so which came recommended by another forum member on here..

Then theres the PowerBright ML2300 for $240 (but the reviews are split on the lower 12v models) and only 2 reviews on this model..

Modified Sine is fine for what I intend.. fans, lights, and maybe an A/C down the line..

I was going to go 12v and Xantrex PRO SW1000 (which is 900 contin watt rated).. but since I mentioned A/C and you folks talked me into a 24v panel system and battery setup it kinda wrecked that plan..

I am planning on using a NON-MPPT controller.. the Morningstar Pro 30 controller..

I'd like to keep my inverter cost below $250..

I'd love to run 12v but you folks made it seem VERY impracticle.. now I'm having 24v setup issues.. (ugghh).

What models of inverters do you folks run with your 24v system..??

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Which 24v Inverter to get??

Albert, and air conditioner is not going to be happy running on "modified sine wave" as it is inaccurately called.
    It may/may not work, but if it does it's going to use even more power. The motor will run hotter and will die sooner.

Fans may be a little affected by MSW, incandescent lights won't care, CFL's may have trouble.

I don't know anything about either of the inverters you list so I can neither recommend or condemn them.

I'm just full of good news, aren't I? Sorry. :blush:
  • ywhic
    ywhic Solar Expert Posts: 621 ✭✭
    Options

Cariboo..

Thanks..

I may have to just go with a 12v system.. as the 24v system setup seems abit much..

I can still get 3-4 100-120watt 12v panels onto the MorningStar Pro 30 (amp) Charge Controller.. and I am kinda liking the Xantrex Pro SW (Sine) 1000 for an inverter..

The panels I found are 100 watt 18.5v and 5.42 amps each.. I'll start with 2.. then max at 4 for that controller..

I got pricing of $870 without the batteries and 2 panels, controller, wires, inverter... and I can start with the 2 NAPA 6v 200ah batteries for a starting point @ $140 each..

When I was out there in TX (last week for the cabin build) it was 86F and a dry heat.. with just a breeze thru the open door and single rafter vent made it bearable inside..

I may get away with some fans on the better inverter..
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

One of the easiest ways to "expand" a system is to put in a small system for the small items then add a big system for the big items later when you can afford it. After living with the first system awhile you'll be more comfortable with power systems in general and will have a better idea about your usage and needs.