What to do on vacation?

Telco
Telco Solar Expert Posts: 201 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've been wondering. What do you do with an off grid solar setup when you go on vacation and will be away for a few weeks with nobody available to check up on things? I'd like to get an idea of what to expect before, during and after a vacation. I'd hate to go away for a while, then come back to a bunch of exploded batteries and fried solar panels.

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: What to do on vacation?

You should have an idea of what your batteries act like (water every week, water every month ...) I'd water them, kill the major loads, and walk away, and enjoy vacation.

I'd worry more about 2 legged varmits.

The Charge Controller should manage your batteries, and leave them on float.
    The PV panels won't care about anything except bowling ball size hail or .22 shells.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Telco
    Telco Solar Expert Posts: 201 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool thanks, this is something I've never seen addressed before. I don't have to worry about it yet as I'm not solar yet, but since there's no issue beyond the normal security issues, good deal.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

Nothing!

Assuming that your batteries have water, there should be nothing to worry about. (Assuming that you have proper fusing etc!)

I leave one remote system for as long as 9 months. The batteries just float, and when I return they are fully charged. I do disconnect all loads however just to limit as much potential for trouble.

Icarus

Ps. I don't do an automatic equalize while I am gone however, since I can't monitor the water in the cells.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Leaving property unattended is always scary, and a risk. I have a 20 acre place in the trees in Utah that we hit every other week. When winter comes we pull the trailer home but have to leave a brand new $14k, 21Kw Kubota diesel genset locked in a pump house. I live in deathly fear of vandalizm, but WTF can you do...I have good insurance and good neighbors that keep an eye on stuff, but you still never know. Just wish I guess LOL