My XW system lost its marbles today

Options
Joe_B
Joe_B Solar Expert Posts: 318 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
Man, I have just about had it with the crappy firmware in the XW4024! Today we had a power failure not like the many others I have had here since installing this system. Usually when this happens, the inverter takes over and you dont notice a thing in the house except the fault alarm. Today, things got weird and although the inverter kicked in, the lights dimmed noticably and the computers reset. I did not think too much about it at the time but after the grid came back a few hours later, the fault did not clear and the unit stayed in AC passthrough.

I tried everything I could from the SCP but the inverter would not go into grid support even though the batteries were at 82% and the sun was shining and the charge controllers were producing well over a kilowatt. I finally had to go down and switch off the inverter both battery feed and grid tie. This finally reset the system and cleared the fault. after the grid requalified, the unit went into load shaving mode as it should have.

It was at this point I realized that it had been acting funny for quite some time as it really never stayed in load shaving mode for very long and always reverted to grid support. What do you know, it is still in load shav ing mode and only drawing 60-70 watts from the grid.

My conclusion is that this firmware can get itself into a wounded mode from time to time and although appear to be acting normally some subtle bugs crop up. The only way I have found to "fix" these bugs is to do a complete power cycle on the system. Sheesh, dont these guys test this stuff before selling these high end systems to people? Normally I would call tech support but they seem to be in the mode that there is nothing wrong and it must be my fault. I have called them in the past with issues over the generator as well as the fault reporting / logging and the have been able to duplicate the issues but no solutions are forthcoming.

I think what has happened is when S bought the line from X they lost the technical knowhow and now they are in damage control mode. The old addage of you get what you pay for is not true in this case, too bad, so sad...