bubbling batterys in absorb mode

machineman
machineman Solar Expert Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
The other day I had lots of sun and my off-grid system went into absorb mid day. My XW60 CC was putting in 29.2V and I could hear the batterys bubbling fairly loud. Is this vigorous bubbling normal for absorb mode? I never noticed this before but maybe becuase i'm only there every 3 weeks and the batterys are in a shed.

24V, 440ah, 820w Solar, syetem age ~2.5yrs.

Off Grid Cabin, 24V 440ah 6V GC battery bank, Xantrex MPPT60-150 CC, Magnum MS4024 inverter-charger, >1200w Solar bank

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: bubbling batterys in absorb mode

Some bubbling is perfectly normal and necessary. Absorb mode is when battery Voltage is held highest (except for Equalization) and as such the bubbling will be most noticeable then. There are a couple of caveats: be sure you have a remote temperature sensor on the batteries so that the Voltage set point will be properly adjusted for the temp, and watch the water usage so that you're not having to add water too often (which is a subjective thing).
  • machineman
    machineman Solar Expert Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
    Re: bubbling batterys in absorb mode

Yep, I have the temp sensor from the XW60 on there. Thanks.

Off Grid Cabin, 24V 440ah 6V GC battery bank, Xantrex MPPT60-150 CC, Magnum MS4024 inverter-charger, >1200w Solar bank