airx 48volt

richardg
richardg Registered Users Posts: 7
Hi.... I too am on the airx disapointed train......
a question for the experts...does it take more wind to produce 48 volts from an airx 48 than 12 volts from a airx 12 volt ? And if so is it true for a whisper ect.....The wind really has to hum to get anything out of it....
Thanks in advance
Richard

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: airx 48volt

Here is an older test report about Airx wind turbines not meeting their performance curves...

The owner's manual here has performance charts (instantaneous and monthly on page 30).

Does your system in a steady wind match the curves (P=I*V)?

Air-X does not give different curves between 12 and 48 volt systems... So, you will probably have to contact them and ask specifically for the 48 vdc performance curves and see what they send you.

I have seen a couple other heavily advertised wind turbines that do require very high winds to output 48 vdc (darn near ~25 mph to get any power). But in these cases, it may be one model that is sold for 12-48 VDC usage, vs the Air-X which has a 12 and 48 vdc model (are the generators wired differently, or is just a different voltage regulator--don't know).

So, it is certainly worth asking the mfg. for the 48 VDC performance chart and if it is different (i.e., lower) than the 12 volt chart--then they have some problems with selling a 48 vdc unit using 12 vdc performance specs.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: airx 48volt

I sent an email to AirX asking about how to convert from 12 v to 24v ... thought it just might be a wiring change.

answer: you need a new rotor and stator.

So, yes, they are totally different machines...12 / 24/ 48v

Cheers
    Eric

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada