OK So my average monthly useage is 1800 KW a month

Options
Polaraco
Polaraco Solar Expert Posts: 102 ✭✭✭✭
In the month of August, we use around 4200 KW We have an average of 1800 KW per month. August is the highest, even with us away for a week.

How much solar do I need to stop the meter?

I'm figuring around 7K strategically place. I have 2- Outbacks 3524 Grid ties. 24V Bus That would keep me gong for about 85% of the day, allowing for shadowing and sun movement. I'm even going verticle on the back of my house ehich right now, will have decent sun until around 6PM.

I don't have allot of flat roof I'm already squeezing 2000 up there, 1500 on my best southern exposure.

I'm having a heck of a time trying to figure it out and those calculators you find give you different numbers.

My wind genny's have knocked about 1500 a month since we haven't had squat for wind around here

How do you spell Help? :D

Comments

• john p
    john p Solar Expert Posts: 814 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: OK So my average monthly useage is 1800 KW a month

I think you first should be seriously looking at ways to reduce that 4200kwh to something about 1/3 of that.
    at 140 kwh a day say for 4 hrs =35kw of panels assuming NO losses.
  • techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭
    Options

Yup, step one in any system design is conservation. You'll spend far less money upgrading existing appliances and adding things like timers and switches to outlets and water heaters - and nothing to adjust your personal habits a bit. I went from 40 kw/day to 30 by doing some of the things in the list below. Still working on the bigger stuff like upgrading the A/C systems. Once you reduce your needs then you can start designing a PV system. I've wanted one for years but still don't have one because I have more conservation to do...

- convert to all CFL and/or LED lights
    - add wall switches or switchable outlet strips (often used for computers) to existing outlets and/or appliances like non-DVR satellite/cable boxes, TVs, computers, etc.
    - add a timer to an electric water heater
    - add 6-12" of insulation around any water heater (be careful not to block external components on a gas/oil heater)
    - add 3-4 feet of insulation to your attic
    - add insulation to your walls and under the floors of any floor over a crawl space
    - upgrade your A/C or heat pump system to a high-efficency system (around 18-20 SEER) or multiple mini-split systems (26 SEER plus the benefit of zone control)
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is
  • Polaraco
    Options
    techntrek wrote: »
    Yup, step one in any system design is conservation. You'll spend far less money upgrading existing appliances and adding things like timers and switches to outlets and water heaters - and nothing to adjust your personal habits a bit. I went from 40 kw/day to 30 by doing some of the things in the list below. Still working on the bigger stuff like upgrading the A/C systems. Once you reduce your needs then you can start designing a PV system. I've wanted one for years but still don't have one because I have more conservation to do...

- convert to all CFL and/or LED lights
    - add wall switches or switchable outlet strips (often used for computers) to existing outlets and/or appliances like non-DVR satellite/cable boxes, TVs, computers, etc.
    - add a timer to an electric water heater
    - add 6-12" of insulation around any water heater (be careful not to block external components on a gas/oil heater)
    - add 3-4 feet of insulation to your attic
    - add insulation to your walls and under the floors of any floor over a crawl space
    - upgrade your A/C or heat pump system to a high-efficency system (around 18-20 SEER) or multiple mini-split systems (26 SEER plus the benefit of zone control)

Thanks

Been there, done that. 45KW is our August useage. We ran 14.5 in January. 18 is the average.

We're all gas, so the hot water is moot. Can't do much more in the attic, it's not a problem though. I do run several Servers continously. One of them I just made green. The main web server is next.

We have a handycapped functional boy, who is about as energy inefficient as you can get. Only took us 40 years to get him to start turning off lights. The killer is the two A/C Chillers. Both are the latest energy efficient designs. We need 2 because of "This old house".

Realizing we had allot of motors that run frequently, I decided to try one of those power factor correctors. Between that and my Wind, I knocked off 60 bucks off the bill. Considering I paid 90 for it. . . Add the 2 A/C units to the power factor, and my 5 HP air compressor, and I am realizing our Power factor was in bad shape. I knew that was an issue for a while. So this is the first full bill since it's installed. Last month, my bill was down 35.00.

But thanks for the thoughs. We're about as efficient as we can get in this house.
  • Polaraco
    Options
    john p wrote: »
    I think you first should be seriously looking at ways to reduce that 4200kwh to something about 1/3 of that.
    at 140 kwh a day say for 4 hrs =35kw of panels assuming NO losses.

Yeah, you're right, but good luck with that. The only thing I can do is put an awning over my south windows. I have a plan. . . Since they are exposed to strong sunlight 11 months, I plan on making a 25' awning with panels.

I'm thinking I can stretch that 4 hours to 6 to 8 with the 7000
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yeah 4200 kWh is pretty extreme, our worst month here in the desert is 3500 kWh. To get to net zero required a 12.5 kWh system once the conservation methods got us down to the 3500 number. Net metering is key, as our Solar system produces about 70+ kWh per day (about 2100 kWh a month) in the best of months (May). We replaced our old AC with higher seer units, added a Mini Split to the new office/shop construction, put a VFD pool pump in, CFL everywhere with a few LED now making the transition, Energy Star fridge and freezer, low power consumption computers.

Now we have added 2 Chevy Volts into the mix and are expanding the Solar system a bit to compensate. The worst month with them is 300 kWh but that could increase at any time as currently I telecommute a lot.

What does your net metering plan look like?
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

correct me if i'm wrong, but you plan on putting 7000w of pvs into an awning arrangement at 25ft in length? if you accomplish this i want to see detailed pics please.
  • Polaraco
    Options

Net Meter?

The Power Factor correction did the most so far. I don't have a watt recorder yet on my genny system.

You're right, 42 is extreme. Part of the problem, now proven with the power factor correction, is our power here is so crappy. I'm right in the middle of a bunch of light industry too. Those power factor devices they say are a sham, but it depends on where you are. If your power is clean, it will do nothing. You guys in the open spaces are lucky.

So Bill!

I have 16, 100AH bats. They are borken into 2 banks @ 24VDC. The ambient never get's over 75. They are Gel Cells because they are near my heating plant. Nothing like Hydrogen and natural gas heat. LOL I don't understand what you were trying to say. Might help if I wasn't distracted 20 times a minute
  • Polaraco
    Options
    niel wrote: »
    correct me if i'm wrong, but you plan on putting 7000w of pvs into an awning arrangement at 25ft in length? if you accomplish this i want to see detailed pics please.

Nooooooooo! You want my house to tip over? No, about 4 of 5 panels, 38" wide. I'll get a thousand there if I am lucky. Well I say that, but I was looking today and see I have an Ice problem. I could break a panel with Ice falling from the upper roof gutter. Hard to explain, but I saw impact damage on a lower gutter, right above where a Panel will be. I'm afraid the glass will get broken right there. I may have to leave that spot open, or put a skinnier panel in that spot.

Yeah I know. . .What's Ice on a house. LOL

What you have I can put out there? I have the some ungineering I have to do and some aluminum welding
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

The power factor correction capacitor cannot really save you any Power/Energy (as in kWH)--other than perhaps a couple percent off the bill if you have residential billing. Other things happened (you saved energy somewhere, turned something off, etc.).

However, if you have industrial/commercial billing, it is very possible that they charge for "poor" power factor.

Gell Cell batteries are not really great for solar power... In genenral, they need fairly slow recharging (on the order of C/20 or 5% maximum). From our host's (NAWS) Battery FAQ:
    [h=3]Gelled electrolyte[/h] Gelled batteries, or "Gel Cells" contain acid that has been "gelled" by the addition of Silica Gel, turning the acid into a solid mass that looks like gooey Jell-O. The advantage of these batteries is that it is impossible to spill acid even if they are broken. However, there are several disadvantages. One is that they must be charged at a slower rate (C/20) to prevent excess gas from damaging the cells. They cannot be fast charged on a conventional automotive charger or they may be permanently damaged. This is not usually a problem with solar electric systems, but if an auxiliary generator or inverter bulk charger is used, current must be limited to the manufacturers specifications. Most better inverters commonly used in solar electric systems can be set to limit charging current to the batteries.
    Some other disadvantages of gel cells is that they must be charged at a lower voltage (2/10th's less) than flooded or AGM batteries. If overcharged, voids can develop in the gel which will never heal, causing a loss in battery capacity. In hot climates, water loss can be enough over 2-4 years to cause premature battery death. It is for this and other reasons that we no longer sell any of the gelled cells except for replacement use. The newer AGM (absorbed glass mat) batteries have all the advantages (and then some) of gelled, with none of the disadvantages.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • niel
    Options
    Polaraco wrote: »
    Nooooooooo! You want my house to tip over? No, about 4 of 5 panels, 38" wide. I'll get a thousand there if I am lucky. Well I say that, but I was looking today and see I have an Ice problem. I could break a panel with Ice falling from the upper roof gutter. Hard to explain, but I saw impact damage on a lower gutter, right above where a Panel will be. I'm afraid the glass will get broken right there. I may have to leave that spot open, or put a skinnier panel in that spot.

Yeah I know. . .What's Ice on a house. LOL

What you have I can put out there? I have the some ungineering I have to do and some aluminum welding

ok i must have misread. i do know what you are talking about as i have to clear an 1ft overhang at my place too. it's not because of ice, but other issues like shading and some aluminum coating bleeding off of my soffit and fascia. i suppose if my gutter ever fails or is overloaded the ice can also be a problem.

i have not as of yet found a solution to my mounting problem as there aren't any commercial wall mounts out there. the closest is a pole mount and that would need extra hardware and adapted to be suitable for a wall. let me know what you come up with.
  • ws9876
    ws9876 Solar Expert Posts: 440 ✭✭✭
    Options

your the problem. period. use less, yea use less. pretty soon your not going to have any choice.
  • BB.
    Options

20 kWH per day is about and average of 833 Watt continuous load... If you have a couple servers, that added to your normal home usage, it is very easy to see that happening. If you have UPS systems for your servers--that also adds more losses (can be upwards of another 20% of your computers' power usage) and heat to your home.

Add hot summer weather and servers--You are spending a lot of money to move that ~1kW worth of electric "heat" out with your A/C systems.

If you can get a Kill-a-Watt meter (or similar) or a larger monitor for your whole home--You can track down where your power is being used.

Another issue that may hit you--In some areas, over 10kW of solar array may have to be installed/billed under a different set of rules/tariffs. So there may be other requirements/restrictions that you need to understand before you commit any money.

If your billing does include Power Factor (or KVA) measurements/penalties, you could look for servers/computers with PFC power supplies (Power Factor Corrected). That would also add savings too.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Polaraco
    Options
    niel wrote: »
    ok i must have misread. i do know what you are talking about as i have to clear an 1ft overhang at my place too. it's not because of ice, but other issues like shading and some aluminum coating bleeding off of my soffit and fascia. i suppose if my gutter ever fails or is overloaded the ice can also be a problem.

i have not as of yet found a solution to my mounting problem as there aren't any commercial wall mounts out there. the closest is a pole mount and that would need extra hardware and adapted to be suitable for a wall. let me know what you come up with.

I'm going be in the same dilemma. But I thought I would by some stand offs from some outfit I know in AZ. Then use some 2" aluminum angle, then putting more angle aluminum reversed to hold them in the bay. Short screws in the sides. Have to shim a bit, but that will work. Helps when you can weld Aluminum.
  • Polaraco
    Options
    BB. wrote: »
    20 kWH per day is about and average of 833 Watt continuous load... If you have a couple servers, that added to your normal home usage, it is very easy to see that happening. If you have UPS systems for your servers--that also adds more losses (can be upwards of another 20% of your computers' power usage) and heat to your home.

Add hot summer weather and servers--You are spending a lot of money to move that ~1kW worth of electric "heat" out with your A/C systems.

If you can get a Kill-a-Watt meter (or similar) or a larger monitor for your whole home--You can track down where your power is being used.

Another issue that may hit you--In some areas, over 10kW of solar array may have to be installed/billed under a different set of rules/tariffs. So there may be other requirements/restrictions that you need to understand before you commit any money.

If your billing does include Power Factor (or KVA) measurements/penalties, you could look for servers/computers with PFC power supplies (Power Factor Corrected). That would also add savings too.

-Bill

PFC does not mean Power Facting as you think it does in Chinese. LOL It means, the PSU will adapt to any power or Freq down to 80 Volts. What does matter is the number of hard drives, CPU's Fans and sizing the PSU correctly. The inefficiencies increase in the bigger supplies. I've been the owner of justservers for 23 years. End of PSU 101 :)

The servers are in our cobblestone basement. Since neither one runs that hard, then the heat is heald down. I've been looking for the leaks for a long time. I took out the UPS's a long time ago, was going to wire in the batteries into my bank. There's so many of them. They are 2- 3K's with 8 hour aux. Grossly over sized.

I have a hard time keeping the waste under control around here. But it's my job to fix it. Catch 22. LOL

Regulations? There aren't any here I am aware of. When I got the permits, I declared 500 watts. What you guys have that looks like roof shingles? LOL
  • Polaraco
    Options

Must be my breath
  • BB.
    Options

I just was not quite sure what to say... PFC definitely does not mean "...the PSU will adapt to any power or Freq down to 80 Volts".

There are features of (power supplies with active) PFC that can mean that the power supply will accept from ~90 volts to ~264 volts (including the 135 to 180 volt range that non-PFC power supplies typically do not support), from 50Hz to 400Hz plus OR DC (DC, in theory, upwards of 370 VDC).

But, what PFC was designed for and why it is required on larger power supplies is because it makes the input of the Power Supply look "resistive" instead of a series of Peak Voltage pulsed current wave forms--Which have very poor power factor (0.67 or even less) because of the Diode Bridge in front of a high voltage capacitor (bank).

If you have a commercial meter which measures Power Factor and adjusts your billing--then PFC power supplies can be very much worth the extra costs. Power Factor Correcting Capacitors only work on "linear" sinusoidal current waveforms. The non-linear (non-sinusoidal) wave forms for rectified/capacitor based power supplies cannot be corrected with capacitors.

Also a PFC power supply will allow you to pull upwards of 1/0.67 (1.49x) more power from a 15 amp (for example) service than you can with a non-PFC power supply.

If you have a residential meter/billing program that does not charge for PF (or KVAR) based measurements), then there is no real power or $$$/kWH savings with PFC power supplies. The only advantage is that a PFC power supply will pull less RMS current than a non-PFC power supply.

Regarding your roofing shingle question--None of us Moderators work at NAWS--So we cannot (and should not) answer any business/product related questions for them. Windsun and Rick both are the Admins, and work at NAWS. But, your best bet is to call NAWS directly as they do not monitor the forum for questions directed towards them.

Personally, I do not like flexible solar panels. I don't think they last as long, don't cool as well on roofs, and usually they are thin-film products which require about 2x the square footage for equivalent power capture from the sun.

If you have restrictions from local covenants/architectural boards, and/or have issues with flying debris, then thin film/roof tile panels may offer some advantages. Again, this is all in my humble uniformed opinion--There are others here that know much more about those products than I.

-Bill
  • Polaraco
    Options

Heh

Thanks Bill

It doesn't seem to work that way in these PSU's They're junk. Maybe in larger supplies. But I've never experienced any real power factoring from them. We scoped them a couple of years ago for a military job. I think we ended up going 48VDC to get the stability we wanted/needed. Normally, we're under a 1000 watts. Doesen't matter, I'm selling this nightmare business next year.

Anyway, I came home to a large pallet sitting in my driveway (And a cross looking wife) My 1920 watts arrived today. Nothing to mount it on. Ugh
  • Polaraco
    Options

I should't read your stuff in a hurry. I'm always on the go. I'm one of those Go To guys. They Go To me to get things done. Sort of cuts my life off.

The cap design is a crude way of trying to correct way. They do more for inductive loads than for Resistive loads. Since I have two A/C chillers, a washing machine that never shuts off, and a busy refrig, I thought it couldn't hurt. But I never expected $90 drop in my bill. 1/2 of Jan it went down 30, and 60 this month. We had some cold days in there too so the heat was running
  • techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭
    Options

Do you have commercial power billing, or residential? As Bill said, if you are on residential service the drop in your bill was NOT from your power-factor correcting device.
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is
  • Polaraco
    Options

I know what you are saying, and I agree. But it doesn't make any sense. As soon as I installed it, things changed. We have done nothing to be more energy conservitive. I can't say it's the wind generators. We haven't had that much wind
  • drees
    drees Solar Expert Posts: 482 ✭✭✭
    Options
    It doesn't seem to work that way in these PSU's They're junk. Maybe in larger supplies. But I've never experienced any real power factoring from them. We scoped them a couple of years ago for a military job.
    Modern computer power supplies definitely have active PFC (power factor correction) in them and typically measure around 99% under any amount of load.
    Anyway, I came home to a large pallet sitting in my driveway (And a cross looking wife) My 1920 watts arrived today. Nothing to mount it on. Ugh
    Uh, so what exactly did you order?
  • Polaraco
    Options

8 Hyundai 248's

I haven't been able to focus on what we were talking about. I'm talking like i have my head. . . . . . . . I know this stuff. We'll start over sometime. All I know is we have done nothing other but put that cap bank on. Actually I got it in the hopes it would round off the square wave in my generac.

Good we got back to the topic

so the first 2000 watts are here. How much more do I need? I really want to sell all day and buy back at night. I'd go totally off grid, but don't have room for allot of batteries.
    Unfortunately, my education on this stuff has been tainted by bad information.I was already invested into allot of hardware before I caught on.
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    8 Hyundai 248's

so the first 2000 watts are here. How much more do I need? I really want to sell all day and buy back at night. I'd go totally off grid, but don't have room for allot of batteries.
    Unfortunately, my education on this stuff has been tainted by bad information.I was already invested into allot of hardware before I caught on.

so go look at the PVWATTS site and see what your production might be. You are going this a bit backward, if you know your loads over a day, and your,utility net metering,plan the number should flow to the amount of,solar to get what ever offset you are looking for.
  • BB.
    Options
    All I know is we have done nothing other but put that cap bank on. Actually I got it in the hopes it would round off the square wave in my generac.

Not to beat a dead horse, but placing capacitor(s) on square wave/low resistance/and some inductance circuits is not going to do anything except cause ringing (an LC Oscillator/Tank Circuit).

There is no "good" way of killing the sharp edges on a square wave (or modified square wave) unless you "dissipate" the high frequency components (see Fourier Series) either by shunting the energy away or turning it into heat.

One way of turning that "high frequency energy" into heat is with a ferro-resonant transformer. But they are heavy, expensive, and wasteful of power.

Back to your question... What is it you want to do? Grid Tied? Off-Grid (no grid or emergency power)? Hybrid (UPS like system)? Save Money? Go Green? etc... And how much power do you want to offset?

And, if grid tied--As Solar_Dave says--Your utility's policys will have a big impact. Many smaller utilities will not support GT systems. Some will only pay you wholesale cost of excess power generated (usually ~50% of retail).... Others will put you on a Time of Use plan and you can generate power at $0.30 a watt afternoons, and buy it back at night for $0.09 per watt...

-Bill
  • Polaraco
    Options

I was looking to at least zero out most of the day, but i know that won't happen. I keep asking my wife to call the util, but she just looks at me with a dumb look. Ugh I can't do it all. What they pay us is moot, if they pay us. I want to sell all day and buy back at night. Eventually, when I have some more space, I may dual invert with the grid tie by day and transfer to a battery bank at night, I dunno, that's down the road. Right now I want to dump those $500 electric bills and be more self sufficent. 400 AH won't last too long around here.

Yeah Bill, not arguing with you about that. I said HOPING it would help. I know about Ferro's too. I've placed enough of them. A Ferro is also good for taking all that leaking to neutrals from power supplies. The quality of the power here is so crappy, I'm actually desprate to improve it. 80 Bucks was a small price to pay, and I am surprised to see the bill with no conservation at all. It's been a real long time since I studied this part of electrics. 40 years in fact, and there was never much lecture on it either. In those days, it wans't a big issue like it is today. So I am ignorant to a point. Talk to me about flow, V drop, stuff like that. That's where my focus has been since. You don't use it you loose it and my brain is in the passing gas mode anymore. I whole heartedly agree with everybody. There is no way those 4 wind turbines offset that much money. If it did, then I'll be filling every square inch with solar and wind. What an eye sore 8 wind generators would be LOL
  • BB.
    Options

For the sake of discussion, lets guess you are around NY/New Jersey--Pick NYC, grid tied (to save money), using PV Watts and 1kW of solar panels (defaults):
    "Station Identification"
    "City:","New_York_Ciy"
    "State:","New_York"
    "Lat (deg N):", 40.78
    "Long (deg W):", 73.97
    "Elev (m): ", 57
    "PV System Specifications"
    "DC Rating:"," 1.0 kW"
    "DC to AC Derate Factor:"," 0.770"
    "AC Rating:"," 0.8 kW"
    "Array Type: Fixed Tilt"
    "Array Tilt:"," 40.8"
    "Array Azimuth:","180.0"

"Energy Specifications"
    "Cost of Electricity:","14.5 cents/kWh"

"Results"
    "Month", "Solar Radiation (kWh/m^2/day)", "AC Energy (kWh)", "Energy Value ($)"
    1, 3.17, 79, 11.46
    2, 4.17, 93, 13.48
    3, 4.57, 108, 15.66
    4, 5.25, 116, 16.82
    5, 5.30, 118, 17.11
    6, 5.78, 121, 17.55
    7, 5.64, 120, 17.40
    8, 5.52, 119, 17.25
    9, 5.06, 108, 15.66
    10, 4.48, 102, 14.79
    11, 2.90, 66, 9.57
    12, 2.85, 69, 10.01
    "Year", 4.56, 1218, 176.61

So, 1,800 kWH per month or 21,600 kWH per year:
    • 21,600 kWH per year / 1,218 kWH per 1kW of panels per year = 17.7 kW of solar panels

So, that is the size of purely solar array that would, on average, zero out your power usage over 1 year.

Assuming you live in one of the progressive states (like California) that have tiered power rates (the more you use, the more you pay), then you don't need to have a 100% solar array to get good cost savings.

For example, in California we can pay ~$0.40 to $0.50 for power >1,000 kWH per month. And pay ~$0.13 for less than 300 kWH per month. Also, if you have Net Metering, you can get paid $0.40+ per kWH during summer peak and pay $0.09 for off peak power the rest of the time (nights, winter, etc.).

If you are planning on paying an installer--I would call a couple of locals and have them give you some options. They know the local utility and AHJ and their requirements--and should be able to give you better information than I. At least you have some basic numbers and questions to ask so that you will be prepared to look past their sales pitch (we have a next door neighbor that is well shaded much of the day, especially during winter--Does not slow down the sales pitch a bit).

Other issues to think about--If you are not going to live there for somewhere around 10 years or more--It may not be worth placing panels on your roof. Not all buyers think that solar on the roof is a good thing--Plus I do not believe it adds "that much" to the value of the home (for most buyers).

Do you have a roof that is fairly new? You don't want to pull of the panels after 10 years to install a new roof.

And--how do you have 4 wind turbines and not much room for solar (on lot?). In many areas, you have to have a good amount of property to legally install wind turbines.

-Bill
  • Polaraco
    Options

Wow! 17.7 KW. Best I'll be able to do is 13KW Right now I can only convert up to 7. I'd have to find something for the excess to do. I'm hoping to have 5 KW up by the end of the summer. Starting with 2 right now. This time of year our useage is low and our sun is high and rising. Wish I had the roof space and the funding. I am opting for Roof because I don't have a place for a free standing unit with a tracker. And because we are so tight here, I would have to go up.

The sun shines in NYC? Wow. LOL A place I hae to go. I'm 35 miles west of the rotten apple, over here in Jorsey. But the stats are about the same. My gennies are attached to the side of the house and are 17 feet above the roof. That puts me 42 feet. I need to work on getting them to run a bit faster in low winds. Theres some new blades coming out and a multiplier I will be BETA testing. Like I said, I know allot about wind and squat about solar. I knew I would have to do both to get anywhere. i just bought the wrong gennies from Missouri Wind and Solar. They don't work! I replaced them with Thermodynes and all works well now. I saw 30+ amps from the 4-500's i have @ 24VDC.

Oh yeah. . . . It looks like I'm retiring here. The roof is a 30 year roof, 10 years old.
  • niel
    Options

you have me curious as to why you didn't bolt it by the eve of the roof too as it is so close to it?
  • Polaraco
    Options

There's two towers with 4 genny's One on each corner. I can put up 4 more if I want

Here, This is before I went to the Y towers. I'm building a small wind farm. I'm hoping to have 8 up there. I have stopped on the wind until I get the beta parts. I need to speed up my gennys a bit. The winds are here, but not quite strong enough to get continous output. Of Course I'll have higher output on the bursts. I'm going to gear for 2:1. I should be able to get the torque I need with larger blades, or using larger hubs. I am looking at one made in the UK. But Thermodyne is supposed to be coming out with a solution soon. That is what I am going to Beta. I prefer not to gear up, but I am afraid that will be the only solution

Now you get to really see my environment. You'll also see my roof and understand what my problems are
  • BB.
    Options

Are you going to end up shading the roof so much with the turbine that you will not be able to use solar panels?

-Bill