6kw turbine, OFF GRID, need upgrade help.

Options
DaveMarion
DaveMarion Registered Users Posts: 1
Hello all, I'm at a bit of a loss.

Here is my system, off-grid.

6kw rated HIKTACU 3 phase, 3 wire wild wind turbine max rating of 8.1kw

5 kw charge controler (stops blades when 5kw is being generated, even though I've seen it hit the full 6)

8x 12v 110 AMP Hour deep cycle lead acid batteries.

3kw, inverter with auto off grid switch.

Here is my problem.

as you can see, when I have wind... my batteries are full in like 2 minutes. I should have way more batteries than this, and a much stronger inverter to power the house.

so here's my question.

I want to completely replace the 3kw inverter with a 12kw off grid inverter,

here's the reason.

We get allot of wind, I live in a valley and I'm sitting here with full batteries in just 15 minutes of runtime, my hot water tank is as hot as it will get (because it was tied to the grid through the inverter all day before the wind came)

what I'm trying to achieve is to have a system that I can run about 1/2 my house on, I already run all lights and the hot water heater on the off grid / which means that if the batteries are loaded up then I don't use anything from the wind when it start to blow.

very frustrating, but can I use a 12kw inverter with 20 batteries and the same charge controller that I have or should I also upgrade the charge controller to allow for the full 6kw and cut out at 7. I get allot of wind, and i don't think I get to use even 10% of the wind I should be able to use.

The generator is too strong for this little bank of batteries isn't it.

anyway, I'm all over the place, question is, can I use a larger inverter with more batteries with a turbine that produces less than the inverter puts out?

Comments

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: 6kw turbine, OFF GRID, need upgrade help.

If you have that much power why do you not go grid tie? Also why are you not using the DHW tank as a dump load, with so much energy to spare?

A bit more info as to location etc would help understand your particular situation.

HTH

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

I am not completely clear on your current setup... Is this a grid tied or off grid system? Do you currently have utility power (seems like yes)? Does your utility support net metering?

What is the voltage of your current wind turbine/battery bank?

In general, a 48 volt battery bank should have at least 600 AH capacity for a 6kW turbine (or even solar array). For a 12 volt battery bank, that would be 4x as much or 2,400 AH.

Obviously, with anything that large, you should be looking at a 48 volt battery bank minimum for your system.

There are several very nice Hybrid Inverters that do both Grid Tied + Battery and Off Grid power (same unit, automatic switch depending on utility power).

And, how much power do you really need (peak watts of loads, Watt*Hours/kWH per day, by season, etc.)?

Large battery banks (and power systems) are not cheap to install, and you need to replace the batteries every 6-15 years or so, and probably your electronics after 10 years or so (not worth/able to repair 10+ year old systems--No parts and no service).

Conservation can both save you with your current power needs and keep your overall power system smaller/less expensive (both short and long term).

-Bill

PS: Are you in Romania? I assume that this will change the which suppliers are more cost effective for your region of the world.
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • coolwilly
    coolwilly Registered Users Posts: 3
    Options

just wondering if you could send a picture of your wind mill. What kind is it. We dont have anything like that here in the US. Without it costing 80 grand.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Google comes up blank for HIKTACU.. doesn't appear to exist.

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada