DIY Panels

Options
There are a number of well intended but maybe misguided individuals posting "How To Build Solar Panel" videos on Youtube. Some of these videos seem to offer good, useable information. I'm retired from construction and think I have the basic skills to build a PV Solar system for my house, leaving the Grid Connection to a licensed electrician. I would go through the permit submittal process but I not sure DIY solar panels are acceptable, even if they are well constructed. Does anyone have the answer to that question?
Thanks,
mikep

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: DIY Panels

yes, we have your answer. they are no good for gt connection as they would need to be certified. we also know that you could not build a pv that will perform and last as long as commercially made pvs for less than they offer them for.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

Yes, for grid tied, the panels need to be UL/NRTL "LISTED" per NEC (or your local code).

Here is an example of what happens with panels that are not build per standard practices (panels may have been "factory built" somewhere--but were not build to UL Specs):

Panel Fire Question

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭
    Options

And even if you could legally use them, panel prices have dropped so much that it simply is not worth the effort. You can buy brand new 20 year warranty Kyocera cheaper than you can build your own.
  • jkhawaii
    jkhawaii Solar Expert Posts: 30
    Options

wow! everything about that Panel Fire install did not look well at all!
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

Hmmm... Looks like the converation is taking place in the new "Blog" section of the forum...

At this point, we really do not support the blog--and asking question in both forum and blog (or several forum threads) tends to confuse people that try to answer questions (where to post/follow discussion). From MikeP's blog posting:
    bmet-March 1st, 2012 16:15 PST

DIY panels are not legal for grid-tie use, and wouldn't be covered by any home owners insurance.they r not certified or UL listed. if they create a hazard which results in damage
    or injury, You alone r liable.

If u want to test your ability on a small project, not connected to the grid, your results will validate the extent of DIY for the long term. my first project started with mis-matched
    pieces, but the folks here helped me develop useful power for my remote shed. i even started a fire that didn't spread, Thankfully to the great advice of the members(proper fusing). Almost a year later that project is still supplying lights and electricity, free from the sun.
    mikep - March 1st, 2012 17:48 PST

I'm in the process of making two 65 watt panels, using 8th inch aluminum, tempered glass and Sylgard. It's fun and I'm a construction kinda guy. I have an electric fence to keep the cows out and outside lights that should work alright with a battery backup. Thanks bmet, I appreciate the feedback and any advice you might care to offer.
    Regards,
    mikep

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset