XANTREX XW INVERTER: 50Hz vs 60Hz

Hi,

I wanted to buy the Xantrex XW inverter to be used in Africa (230Vac 50Hz), so I contacted Xantrex to know if the 120/230Vac split-phase 60Hz output can be adjusted to give 230Vac 50Hz. I got a reply from Xantrex saying that the output of the XW can not be changed. I was advised to wait for the European version of the XW with 230Vac 50Hz.
Please, I will like to know if any body is aware of the European version, or knows any solution to my problem. The system that I want to set up will be a grid-tie system with battery back-up, though the grid part of it will be ONLY for receiving power and switching to the battery back-up when the grid fails. No provision for excess buy back as this is not allowed in my grid system.

I am relatively new in this Solar/Inverter power business, so I will need/appreciate any information you can give me.

Regards,
Wene

Comments

• crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: XANTREX XW INVERTER: 50Hz vs 60Hz

Wene,

There are several companies that make 230 VAC / 50 Hz inverter/chargers intended for use applications where the grid is the backup. For example, here's a link to OutBack's inverters intended for just that purpose: http://www.outbackpower.com/Export.htm

HTH, and feel free to come back with additional questions.
    Jim / crewzer
  • nigtomdaw
    nigtomdaw Solar Expert Posts: 705 ✭✭
    Re: XANTREX XW INVERTER: 50Hz vs 60Hz

Wene , thanks for your PM . Your question relating to my SW and the new XW from Xantrex, I think you have got confused somewhere. I use the soon to be phased out SW3024E inverter charger, I do not have a XW or intend to get one as my SW is just 2 years old. From your post here I see you have the grid but are looking at an inverter and batteries from back up when the grid fails is that correct ?

Depending on how often and how long the grid goes down will greatly affect your decision making .

Do you intend using solar or a generator or both when the grid goes down and your batteries are depleted ?

The new european XW will be 240 v 50 hz only not 110-120. as we dont have the split voltages that are common in USA. If you are using a generator in your setup at anypoint I would have to say look at Magnum inverter chargers also and consider waiting for the euro spec XW, both have PFC power factor correction chargers which make better use of ic generators for charging. Niether OB or X Sw do . Thats if you intend using a generator.

I would suggest running past the forum members what you intend in more detail . Grid backup only ?,solar ? grid failure times-frequency. Then they will gladly provide more details and options for you to consider HTH