Prowatt SW for audio??

carilchasens
carilchasens Registered Users Posts: 22 ✭✭
Do any of you know whether the Xantrex Prowatt SW inverters will run audio equipment without a hum?

Comments

• nsaspook
    nsaspook Solar Expert Posts: 396 ✭✭✭
    Re: Prowatt SW for audio??
    Do any of you know whether the Xantrex Prowatt SW inverters will run audio equipment without a hum?

I use a SW 2000 to power a home theater receiver with no problems. The AC power from that unit is cleaner than most grid power.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

i have to ask if plugging into grid power or a generator results in the same noise? if so, then i'd suspect bad filter caps in the power supply of the amp. now another possibility is this could also come from one of the other components in a system such as a preamp so isolating what component is prone is important too before assuming the amp is at fault. if you have a turntable, please be sure it is grounded properly as these are highly sensitive to hum and noise. in fact, grounds can be a problem with all components in a system if there are components in your audio gear.
  • carilchasens

The hum appeared on recording gear.. computer, home receiver, instruments.. and it came from the old modified-sine Trace 812 inverter that - sooner or later - we will probably replace.
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭

I doubt that any modified sine wave inverter would be good for audio, but usually the problem is not hum but a fast "crackling" sound.

That said, almost any Sine wave inverter should work better, but not sure if the SW-2000 series can handle the huge difference between max and min power draw that music or audio might cause. but they are cheap enough to make it worth a try.
  • vcallaway
    vcallaway Solar Expert Posts: 157 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have the 2k PROwatt SW in my Motorhome. I've not had any noise issues with TV's, computers, surround sound etc...
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭

Depends on what kind of audio you are using - home entertainment almost any sine wave will work, for something like an outdoor band you might have to be more picky.
  • carilchasens

We live far off-grid, and may have to replace the old Trace 812 inverter soon. My partner is a musician who does some recording so interference on audio is a concern.