Sun Frost Refrigerators -OR- Recommend a Refrigerator?

2»

Comments

• erne
    erne Solar Expert Posts: 41
    Re: Sun Frost Refrigerators -OR- Recommend a Refrigerator?

I have a Kenmore. There are a few advantages to a freezer for a refrigerator. If you lose grid power they will stay cool about 40% longer before the contents spoil. (better insulation. Using an external thermostat shuts down all electrical usage until the external thermostats bulb turns on the refrigerator. The thermostat that I listed has a plug that the freezer plugs into and does not alter the freezer. It separates the hot wire up to the device and back to control the add on.These units are used in the beer industry. They use chest freezers as refrigerators to make malt. I have been using these devices for 15 or so years. I have a used upright freezer I got from the repair shop. They are cheaper and better than new (my opinion) I have ran it for over a year now and have no problems with moisture. I live in the high mountain desert at 8500+ feet that may have some effect as it is a dry climate. If you opt for a conventional refrigerator consider this. the heat tube is next to the door so to keep the seal from sticking or it has a electric resistance wire to do said protection. Also it has a timer in it that comes on every 30 minutes to protect the company, (product liability) Ice maker use resistance electric to release the ice from the freezing coil. If you use the external thermostat on a common refrigerator you will disable these features and save about 30% on electric consumption. The most energy efficient refrigerator on the market will be in the range of 1KWh per day. Beware of the energy star label they stretch things a bit. Hope this helps.
  • shiny
    shiny Registered Users Posts: 10
    erne wrote: »
    I have a Kenmore. There are a few advantages to a freezer for a refrigerator. If you lose grid power they will stay cool about 40% longer before the contents spoil. (better insulation. Using an external thermostat shuts down all electrical usage until the external thermostats bulb turns on the refrigerator. The thermostat that I listed has a plug that the freezer plugs into and does not alter the freezer. It separates the hot wire up to the device and back to control the add on.These units are used in the beer industry. They use chest freezers as refrigerators to make malt. I have been using these devices for 15 or so years. I have a used upright freezer I got from the repair shop. They are cheaper and better than new (my opinion) I have ran it for over a year now and have no problems with moisture. I live in the high mountain desert at 8500+ feet that may have some effect as it is a dry climate. If you opt for a conventional refrigerator consider this. the heat tube is next to the door so to keep the seal from sticking or it has a electric resistance wire to do said protection. Also it has a timer in it that comes on every 30 minutes to protect the company, (product liability) Ice maker use resistance electric to release the ice from the freezing coil. If you use the external thermostat on a common refrigerator you will disable these features and save about 30% on electric consumption. The most energy efficient refrigerator on the market will be in the range of 1KWh per day. Beware of the energy star label they stretch things a bit. Hope this helps.

This helps a LOT. Thank you so much!
  • trin
    trin Registered Users Posts: 1

Great thread! Does it matter whether you purchase a frost-free or regular (not frost-free) freezer for conversion? Which would be more energy efficient? Would there be differences in condensation build up or maintenance? Thanks :)
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

Frost Free would be a waste as you won't be going below freezing.

I don't think there would be a difference for freezer conversion.

Here's my favorite link on Freezer conversion, Speaks to the "in use" issues, they found the chest configuration no too hard to get use to, but they appear to have some condesation build up inside.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭

Tried a number of things over the years to combat the moisture/water buildup, and finally have it under control. My latest is an upright freezer converted to fridge, and drilled a small drain hole in the cntr of the bottom. Placed a shallow pan under to catch the drip/occasional dribble, and from there it evaporates. Still more than enough moisture inside, but it's awesome for keeping vegies, they don't dry out and shrivel up as in regular fridges, so there are definite advantages. + so easy to keep the temp very close to 0C, things last far longer than at the traditional 4C. I'd now be very unhappy if I had to go back to a regular fridge. Not kidding.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Wayne,

Do you find you need to use a small fan (turns on when compressor runs) to mix the air to keep temperatures stable from top to bottom?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset