Solar Panel roof mounts and theft prevention

Hairfarm
Hairfarm Solar Expert Posts: 225 ✭✭✭
Greetings,

I've purchased 5 Kyocera 135- GX-LPU solar panels. Can someone on this board recommend mounting hardware for this model that won't break the bank? Also, I'm looking to protect against theft and am looking for a way to lock the panels to the mounting hardware. Is this possible?
Occasionally, there is high wind in the area so the mounting hardware will need to be strong enough to withstand.

My roof is asphalt shingle.

thanks,

Comments

• drees
    drees Solar Expert Posts: 482 ✭✭✭
    Re: Solar Panel roof mounts and theft prevention

You'll want to figure out what kind of mounting system you want to use - some of them may have a theft-resistant bolt option.

Otherwise, find the specs of the bolts used to clamp the panels down, and replace them with something like the ones from this site (quick Google search turned this up): http://www.brycefastener.com/SolarPanels.html
  • TnAndy
    TnAndy Solar Expert Posts: 249 ✭✭

Theft protection on rood mounted panels ? Really ? Seems if they went to the trouble to climb on your roof, a 6' railroad pinch bar and a cordless sawsall could de-mount about anything. If you have that kind of theft problem, I'd suggest relocation to another area.
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

Hf,

Well, with (only) five modules to mount, plus wind, you might want to consider some standard racking system. Some, like UniRac, and perhaps Iron Ridge etc have online configuration programs that take into account your roof, wind, location and PV Module parameters and give a canned answer, with some engineering applied. Not an Engineer's Wet Stamp, but a good place to start.

These racking systems seem quite expensive, but it can make the tradeoffs easier to do quickly.

I have considered a Tamper Lead connected to an alarm system to help deter theft. Moving one's property is difficult. Seems that we are often bound to our property. As PV Modules become less expensive, it may be that they are less of a target of thieves.
    Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • telljf
    telljf Registered Users Posts: 26 ✭✭

My panels are mounted on the terrace, so given enough time and some spanners, anyone can unhook it. So I bought a loop burglar alarm. It has a wire that goes through screw holes on the back of the panel, connecting all panels in a closed loop which is then connected to an alarm that is remotely placed. The panels cannot be removed without breaking the wire. If the wire is broken it will trigger the alarm and will not stop by joining the wire back again. It should be placed such that both the intruder and the owner can hear it. It will have to be switched off by the person who knows how to do that. I saw it once listed on ebay.
  • bluz4evr
    bluz4evr Registered Users Posts: 7

seems like nothing will stop a determand thief -its just some we have to put up with today.ya do the best ya can to protect your stuff and hope for the best .but it hard to beat a german shepard in the yard.
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

Hi telljf,

YES, what you describe is exactly what I was referring to. On alarm systems, this type of loop is called a Tamper Lead -- where if there is tamepring, the alarm sounds. And, in my application, this lead would be llped through the unused mounting holes on the PV Modules.

If the thief knew about this lead, it could be defeated. However, perhaps some known resistance would be placed in this lead, and if that resistance was reduced by any bypass of the lead to defeat it, could also sound the alarm.

Will try this with the new array -- perhaps on-line tomorrow, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • pHredd9mm
    pHredd9mm Registered Users Posts: 15

Determined thieves are going to take what they want short of installing man-killing defenses (certainly illegal and most likely immoral). But, perhaps by placing a hidden camera the bad guys can be caught on video or stills. Maybe something like a hidden motion-activated (wild animal) game camera or two to monitor your equipment.
  • SolaRevolution
    SolaRevolution Solar Expert Posts: 410 ✭✭

I suggest covering the bolt heads on the mounting hardware with J-B Weld.

It's not going to stop a determined thief but it would foil many opprotunists.
    Removing them would require tools a thief might not bring and would be to big to carry in pockets or a tool belt. You would have to use a grinder which would make showers of sparks and a lot of noise.

Can you think of any other way to remove J-B Welded PV modules that would not risk damaging them?

-Alex
  • jagec
    jagec Solar Expert Posts: 157 ✭✭
    I suggest covering the bolt heads on the mounting hardware with J-B Weld.

It's not going to stop a determined thief but it would foil many opprotunists.
    Removing them would require tools a thief might not bring and would be to big to carry in pockets or a tool belt. You would have to use a grinder which would make showers of sparks and a lot of noise.

Can you think of any other way to remove J-B Welded PV modules that would not risk damaging them?

-Alex

Most mounting systems use aluminum clips to hold the panels down. With nothing more than a big pair of pliers, a thief could quickly and quietly bend them far enough to slip the panels out. Even if that wasn't possible, aluminum cuts like butter, and doesn't make sparks. Thieves might think that it's worth making some noise if they can get the job done quickly.
  • SolaRevolution
    SolaRevolution Solar Expert Posts: 410 ✭✭
    jagec wrote: »
    Most mounting systems use aluminum clips to hold the panels down. With nothing more than a big pair of pliers, a thief could quickly and quietly bend them far enough to slip the panels out. Even if that wasn't possible, aluminum cuts like butter, and doesn't make sparks. Thieves might think that it's worth making some noise if they can get the job done quickly.

I just tried to use my lineman pliers and some channel locks on a mock up of Unirac and one of Pro Solar. The end clamps are some what vulnerable but the mids would be tough without damaging the module frames. I don't think I could do a whole system with a sawsall without marring the frames either.

But then, the determined thief....