New Trace 4024 failure mode

Well new to me. The charging voltage appears to be suddenly uncontrolled. Minutes after starting the inverter cuts out due to high battery voltage. Batteries measure 32V. All shut down now. Has anyone had experience with this? Is it fixable?

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: New Trace 4024 failure mode

I don't know about the SW problem... But is the wiring solid (no high resistance/loose connections) and the battery bank in good shape (not sulfated, not low on water/electrolyte)?

A fair number of charge controllers seem to lose control of their output voltage if they to not have solid wiring and a good battery bank.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭

I have heard of such an issue with XW inverter. (assuming this is XW not SW series). Try running on inverter without any ACin for a while. While on invertering without ACin check all the settings with SCM. Then flip on ACin breaker. Make sure you set max. charging current based on your battery AH sizing.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Thanks guys,

It is an SW circa 1999. Wiring is 3/0, certainly not the problem, but I'll chase it anyway. These are new batteries, perhaps I'll swap the old ones back for a test. First I will try RCinFLA's suggestion.
  • RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭

Never heard of this issue with SW series. Make sure the temp sensor is good, or just try removing it. Also check charger equalize, bulk, and float voltage settings.