Ground Mounting and the Septic Tank

I made one mistake when I had the house built, and that was putting the septic tank and drainfield on the south side of the house. This created another problem where I was forced to put the well on the north side of the house, instead of on the south side right by the electrical panel where it could have been used as a great grounding point.

Now, I'm wondering if there isn't another problem because of the placement.

Is it possible to put ground mounted panels over the area that the septic tank and drainfield use? Will the drainage be the same if the panels just let the water run down between panels?

I can't believe overlooking one thing out of thousands of details would lead to such problems.

Comments

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Ground Mounting and the Septic Tank

depends if you ever want the tank pumped out, a 'job' that needs done every 2 - 10 years depending on use and what gets put into that little biosphere...

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Eric L
    Eric L Solar Expert Posts: 262 ✭✭

You probably wouldn't want to cover the tank for the reason westbranch said. But I'd think the drainfield would be o.k. provided that whatever you use to anchor the panels to the ground isn't penetrating any of the drainlines or the gravel that surrounds them.
  • CDN_VT
    CDN_VT Solar Expert Posts: 492 ✭✭✭

My drainage field / perk off area is the best for growing , plus always needs weeding , the area is cool when were baking because of the plants and moisture.
    Im glad that I built my above ground garden on it. There is a different garden for root crops , that is not part of the Septic perk field.

Just letting you know that those ares help plants grow, so consider that also.

VT
  • Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭

Im glad that I built my above ground garden on it.

Interesting, you have an underground garden? Are you a survivalist, ready for anything?:confused:

Also don't forget, tile beds sometimes need replacement. That would require moving your array, kind of like de-comissioning a roof mount to re-shingle.
    Ralph