Anyone know how to make a "quick" connect/disconnect?

Our plan is for long weekend dry camping.  I have all the answers I need as to panels, charge controller, wire size etc.  What we are planning on doing is ground mounting (I have addressed securing against wind and theft) the panel.  When we move the trailer we will want to disconnect the panel and stow it in the trailer until we arrive at our next destination.  I envision a connector on the outside of the trailer on the opposite side or the charge controller as close to the battery as I can to shorten the wire length. 

Or is there a quick connect/disconnect that can be done from the panel itself.  I have not seen what the panel looks like so until I have one in front of me I don't know what to ask.  Kyocera 130 watt solar panel, KC130TM

Does anyone have any experience or seen such a hookup before and can point me in a direction of a solution.  One idea I did hear was something called an Anderson connector.  does anyone know anything about that? 

I am open to most Ideas and would hate to be stopped after three weeks of resarch.  I refuse to believe I am the first person to try this.

Comments

• crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Anyone know how to make a "quick" connect/disconnect?

Rick,

Anderson SB connectors will work as an in-line quick-disconnect at the PV module. One of their great features is that they're polarized, so, once assembled correctly, you won't have to worry about hookin' 'em up "backwards"...

HTH,
    Jim / crewzer
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

I looked and they have no connectors for #8 wiring. how odd. I could go with #6 but we are already getting pretty heavy for a possible 60 foot circut for a 130 watt panel.

I'll check some other sites.
  • crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭

Keep looking! Anderson's spec sheet says P/N 5952 is the #8 AWG contact for their 50 A SB shell.

HTH,
    Jim / crewzer
  • RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭

Anderson connectors are nice but for that application a trailer tail light plug kit from the auto parts store will be cheaper and better at rain protection. Look for larger one with at least #10 wire.