How to clean/maintain battery interconnects?

Options
Volvo Farmer
Volvo Farmer Solar Expert Posts: 209 ✭✭✭✭✭
After going through the December incident, where I had a cell of my Surrette bank drop to below 1100 SG, I thought maybe I might want to go clean and re-connect all the battery cables and inverter cables.

This is a 24V bank, with 2 series strings and 2 parallel strings of L16 sized batteries. The interconnects are 2/0 and the inverter cables are 4/0 Last time I cleaned the cables, I put some sort of non hardening goop made to keep the air off the connections, but I only put it on the outside, not on the mating surfaces. I recently read that I should put it everywhere as it will not inhibit electrical contact.

Anyway. Should I scrub the goop off and somehow clean the terminals and interconnects? And with what? Or if I don't see corrosion and the bolts are tight, should I just leave it alone?

Thanks

Comments

• waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: How to clean/maintain battery interconnects?

I have used a product called Rust Check, designed to prevent dissimilar metal corrosion. Before connections are bolted up tight I give a spray, then about once a year after, just a quick shot without loosening anything. Haven't had a problem in over 10 years. Original connections, terminals, cable ends etc are still like new. Not even a hint of corrosion. I too have heard in the past that such things would prevent proper electrical flow, but after 10 years, I have to say that's BS, especially when I look at a friends batteries, everything corroded to heck after less than one year because he thought Rust Check etc would be harmful, so wouldn't use it.
    I've also used it yearly on all my vehicles since 1980. Because it works.
    http://www.rustcheck.com/rustcheck.asp
  • techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭
    Options

I've heard of rubbing Vasoline all over the battery terminals and the cable ends. I'm curious what other methods are in use here.
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

VF,

All that I've ever used is Petrolium Jelley -- generic Vasoline. Works very well, and NO corrosion whatsoever in 6+ years here.

It does help to use Tin-plated lugs, which add a layer of corrosion resistance. Nice thing about PJ, is that it needs only a clean cloth/rag, should you need to remove it.

And, yes, coat the entire battery lug and the cable terminal as well. Works great, and cheap like me.

Use a dilute solution of Baking Soda to clean the battery tops, sides, and cables, followed by a clean damp cloth. It is good to rinse the follow-up cloth frequently, and best to not leave any Bicarb on the battery tops. YMMV, Good Luck, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I use dielectric grease and use it like others are using PJ, there is also a conductive grease but it's realativly exspensive.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • samuel
    samuel Solar Expert Posts: 80 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I used dielectric grease for the connection and then coated bare metal with vaseline to act as a vapor barrier. System going on three years with no visible signs of wear/corroion.