5548 SW Plus Inverter Control Board

Mangas
Mangas Solar Expert Posts: 547 ✭✭✭✭
One of our four SW Plus 5548 Inverter control boards had to be replaced after operating 6 six years 24/7.

The inverter displayed a 5G Error "Input Relay Failure" message and it shut down the master and its stacked slave.

A long established pump manufacturer located a couple hours away who services our ranching community with pumping and solar hardware, bench tested the 5058 SW Plus unit and found the control board bad. The A/C relays and points were like new. Surprisingly, they had a new control board in stock. The engineer installed the board in a hour and bench tested it for another hour. I was on my way the same afternoon and reinstalled the inverter next morning.

For this potentiality, we designed the system with two inverters running half the house and two running the other half which worked out well. We had heat, phone and lights in half the house until the unit was repaired. Electricians had installed a bypass which to enabled energizing the pump house until the inverters were back on line.

Learned another lesson. They're getting a spare SW Plus 5548 inverter for me to keep as back up.

Someday, I guess the inverters will have to be replaced with newer technology. Maybe 8000w Outback Radians.
Ranch Off Grid System & Custom Home: 2 x pair stacked Schneider XW 5548+ Plus inverters (4), 2 x Schneider MPPT 80-600 Charge Controllers, 2 Xanbus AGS Generator Start and Air Extraction System Controllers, 64 Trojan L16 REB 6v 375 AH Flooded Cel Batteries w/Water Miser Caps, 44 x 185 Sharp Solar Panels, Cummins Onan RS20 KW Propane Water Cooled Genset, ICF Custom House Construction, all appliances, Central A/C, 2 x High Efficiency Variable Speed three ton Central A/C 220v compressors, 2 x Propane furnaces, 2 x Variable Speed Air Handlers, 2 x HD WiFi HVAC Zoned System Controllers

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: 5548 SW Plus Inverter Control Board

hanging onto a spare may not be such a good idea. the reason is that the parts, particularly the electrolytic capacitors, age. after 5yrs or so if you put this online it may work or it may fail right there on the spot, even though it may be good now. odds are it will work, but you will probably have a shorter lifespan than a brand new inverter of the same would've offered. with advances in the technologies it might pay to buy a newer inverter at the time of failure rather than hang onto spares.
  • Mangas

Good point Niel. As you know the SW Plus is no longer made. I've got no idea where to find a new one as a spare.

Since I have four like SWs' mounted on the backing plate and wired in conduit, I'm not too keen about replacing them just yet but had planned to do so in 4 years.

I like the Radian technology, higher wattage, heavier relay circuits, cleaner sine wave, great specs, stackable way beyond my needs all with Outback's proven reliability. I will probably go this route. Presently the Radians are much more expensive than the Xantrex'.

The problem with solar manufacturers are their maturation from a cottage industry into mainstream where companies are built on stable ownership with a strong financial footprint. Once you sign on to an OEM product dependable aftermarket parts and tech support becomes a very important factor in making the OEM decision. Second, acquiring companies often aren't committed to backing up manufactured products by previous owners. In my case, I found a stocked new control board but who knows in a year or two if I could get other new parts. Already, I know the transformers are unavailable.

Anyway without a backup unit this may force me to move up my replacement timing. Then, decide which company looks to be around awhile, if that's possible.
    Ranch Off Grid System & Custom Home: 2 x pair stacked Schneider XW 5548+ Plus inverters (4), 2 x Schneider MPPT 80-600 Charge Controllers, 2 Xanbus AGS Generator Start and Air Extraction System Controllers, 64 Trojan L16 REB 6v 375 AH Flooded Cel Batteries w/Water Miser Caps, 44 x 185 Sharp Solar Panels, Cummins Onan RS20 KW Propane Water Cooled Genset, ICF Custom House Construction, all appliances, Central A/C, 2 x High Efficiency Variable Speed three ton Central A/C 220v compressors, 2 x Propane furnaces, 2 x Variable Speed Air Handlers, 2 x HD WiFi HVAC Zoned System Controllers
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Mangas,

I would bet that you could find a New In Box SW + 5548, if you looked around. Perhaps you could find one on the dreaded e-bay. A year ago, we still had two NIB units, but placed them in service in Dec '10. Did not want to sell them, as they had been reserved for development of another location. Some folks do have spares, or plans that have changed.

niel makes a good point about capacitors, but think that the SW + 5548s predate Surface Mount parts, and leaded parts are easier to change, (at least for people llike me).

Regarding the Radian, am not so certain that it has a Power Factor Corrected charger. Was unable to get a straight answer from OB, after asking that question several times. Finally did get an ambiguous reply. Seemed that there might have been a desire to ignore the question. This is important, and as you know, it dictates the ability to use the capabilities of your genset. Although, generally large, heavy duty gensets tolerate poor PF fairly well, ... but ..

Also, believe that you will not find an off-grid inverter that has the surge capability of the SW +es. To me, just look at the weight, pretty well tells most of the surge story. Altho, advances is switching technology might help reduce the weight for a given power capabulity.

Just my $0.01. All The Best for the Holidays, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Mangas

Hi Vic,

Thanks for your very good analysis. I was not aware of the Outback's apparent downside. Agree, finding a new SW Plus is preferrable and I'm going to start looking but am not enthused about sourcing it from EBay either.

We must have a very efficient genny interface. I was unaware of the Power Factor Corrected charger problem. And, we've got to have plenty of surge capacity which Xantrex is well known for.

As far as the leaded parts go the engineer who worked on the unit agrees with you. He said the old board probably could be repaired and used a spare. He said they still can get the control and A/C boards and relays. They're going to send it out to see if it can be reliably rebuilt. But as you say, tough to know if rebuilit parts deliver acceptable reliability.

Thanks for the heads up. If you learn anymore about the Radians versus Xantrex I'd be interested in hearing your opinion.
  • boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭

The Magnum inverters are power factor corrected for charging.

Don't think the Radian is. It is more like the FX and VFX is my understanding.

boB
  • solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭

I have an unused SW 5548 in my closet that I never used. Its out of the box and I know I will never use it. If anyone is interested give me a reasonable offer. Contact me. Solarvic
  • Mangas

Thank you Solarvic.

If they can't find one, I may come back to you.
  • Vic

Say boB,

Thanks for the confirm on the OB Radian Charger. I did ask that specific question on the OB formu. THe first reply from OB Tech, stated that the responder "did not understand the queston". So I restated the question, and waited for about a week, no reply. pinged again. Did get a reply that I thought was ambiguous. Something like it depended upon the charge source. I should go back and refresh my memory.EDIT --FWIW here is that Thread on the OB Forum, perhaps I'm being toosnarky in posting this, but, :
    http://www.outbackpower.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=5672

Historically, have liked OB very much. Seemed to be an honest, customer-friendly company. But, to me, in the general sense, either the Radian charger IS either PC Corrected, or it is NOT. Guess there is a delta in the degree of PFC, I dunno.

Mangas, hope that your board gets repaired, and you have a good spare. I know NOTHING of the Radian, just what have read on the OB site.

solarvic, I might be interested in the 5548, BUT, it MUST BE an SW plus 5548. THe older 5548 will not stack with SW plused, as I read it.

BTW, a number of neighbors have original SW inverters, a number have been in service for 10-or more years. Very solid hardware ... knock, knock.

OK Best Wishes to all for the Holidays. Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Mangas

Ditto Vic on the 5548 SW plus.

Engineer said I should normally get 10 years out them. But, should have bought a spare in 2005.

In those days, I was still recovering from solar "shock". $1,300 185 w panels. . .
  • solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭

My SW-5548 is not a plus. I boyght it when I first planned on bieing offgrid. When my power co approved gridtie I went that direction and went gridtie. Still for sale to someone that needs the regular SW-5548. Also have a sw-4024. :Dsolarvic:D
  • Mangas

Vic, if I'm able to find new SW Plus 5548s', I'll post.
  • Vic

vic, Thanks for the info -- the SW line is very solid. Am sure that you will have no trouble moving it along. Thanks.

Mangas, Thanks will keep looking for any info. Am not actively looking for a spare, but prob would snag one complete unit as a spare. Do not lean on them too hard here, but the new cabin will prob use M/S Heat Pumps, so will need quite a lot more AC.

Thanks again, HH, Vic