Xantrex C60 overcurrent

Monitoring our six-panel system I noticed that in bright daylight the C60 is having to regulate beyond its current rating--I have seen as much as 68 amps passing through to the batteries. Will this harm the C60? Or is it maybe somehow self current-limiting? I will replace it with an 80 amp model as soon as I can, but am wondering if this is urgent.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Xantrex C60 overcurrent

The Xantrex C60 is a PWM controller and cannot, easily/directly, control the current through the unit. It is rated for 60 amps continuous and 85 intermittent current (PDF).
    Electronic overload and short-circuit protection with
    automatic and manual reset capability increases the
    reliability of unattended systems by eliminating blown
    fuses and tripped circuit breakers.

So, while it may work, it is probably stressing the unit and fail sooner and/or turn off at times because of over current/over temperature conditions.

MPPT type charge controllers (much more expen$ive) can limit their output current to their max current rating (internally a "switch mode" power supply).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭
    Re: Xantrex C60 overcurrent

The C60 is just a switch when its passing full current, so the only issue is heat, if its not over-temperature then its not a big concern. The current measurement on the C60 is very crude, so just because the LCD display 68 amps, doesn't mean that's whats really going into the batteries. ( its just measuring the voltage drop internally on 8" of 12 gauge wire )

I'd just make sure the C60 heat sink isn't burning hot, otherwise, you should be OK