please recommend clamp ammeter with accumulator

Options
vtmaps
vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
I am looking to buy a DC clamp type ammeter. There are hundreds of models, can you recommend one? I don't know if there is such a thing, but it would be useful to have one with an accumulator (something that keeps track of current and time, and can give me an AmpHour reading. thanks, in advance,
--vtMaps
4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i

Comments

• waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: please recommend clamp ammeter with accumulator

Have never heard of one with the features you are looking for.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

Sounds like you might actually be looking for a battery monitor? That's the only thing I can think of that keeps track of current flow over time. Needs to be hard-wired in, though. A clamp-on meter would not be reliable in such an application as the zero point would be almost certain to drift.
  • vtmaps
    Options
    Have never heard of one with the features you are looking for.
    Sounds like you might actually be looking for a battery monitor? That's the only thing I can think of that keeps track of current flow over time. Needs to be hard-wired in, though. A clamp-on meter would not be reliable in such an application as the zero point would be almost certain to drift.
    OK, Thanks. I will stop looking for such a device. I do have a trimetric battery monitor. I was looking for an easy way to monitor the energy usage of my DC fridge and freezers. I would like something similar to a kill-a-watt, but for DC current. Perhaps I will build one out of a battery monitor and shunt.
    --vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

There are DC versions of the Kill-a-Watt... A couple (smaller amperage) ones are available here. They do not "record backwards"--so they cannot totalize current into/out of a battery bank.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • vtmaps
    Options
    BB. wrote:
    There are DC versions of the Kill-a-Watt... A couple (smaller amperage) ones are available here.
    They look perfect! I can hardly wait. Thanks so much for the link. --vtMaps
  • techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭
    Options

Fluke 374 and higher have a min/max/average function.
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is