APS Renewable Energy Incentive?

Options
pabloesguapo
pabloesguapo Solar Expert Posts: 116 ✭✭
I read somwhere that in order to qualify a residential PV system MUST be installed by a licensed, approved contractor. What about us DIY homeowners? It's not as if installing this stuff is brain surgery. Sounds like the continued incestuous relationship between government and business to me...
27 Kyocera panels, 6,500w
24 CG2 6v batteries, 48v, 630Ah
Midnite Classic 150 & Classic 150 Lite in "follow me" mode
(2) Outback fx3648 inverters
Generac ecogen 6kw backup generator
Mate3s

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: APS Renewable Energy Incentive?

It all depends... I don't think the Federal 30% tax credit requires anything special. But some state and local (and utility) rebates may require a licensed electrician or even a "solar installer" for the rebates (of course, you do usually have to meet the local building code requirements).

This website, DSIRE, has a pretty good list of state by state and local requirements for solar (laws, rebates, etc.).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • solarix
    solarix Solar Expert Posts: 713 ✭✭
    Options

As one who rails against the "system" as well, I feel your pain, however I also have learned that left unchecked, people - including DIY'ers - can really foul things up. Something as powerful as electricity needs to be done with some degree of correctness, safety margin, and verification. Hooking up to the grid has always required a licensed electrician and utilities are only being reasonable to require this when they are good enough to fund a hefty portion of your solar system. It is a small concession to make compared to the old days of solar when the utility was absolutely against you and your solar. Do you realize that the utility is paying you to reduce the amount you pay them every month? Yes, for a DIY'er the cost of the extra red tape to qualify for the utility rebate almost equals the rebate. Get over it. We DIY'ers have a real independent streak and need to learn that stuff like licenses are our gift to everybody else that we do know what we are doing. No man is an island.
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yeah I think APS requires a licensed electrician and a permit. They want to make sure the grid is protected and that the install meets NEC. The permits are generally the larger hurdle, they claim for instance that Glendale, AZ exceeds the NEC. The permit also covers the structural issues, fire safety issues, etc. I think when they did my install Glendale required engineering drawings for both the electrical and structural.
  • pabloesguapo
    Options

Except that my house will be 100 percent completely off grid. there isn't an electrical line within a mile or so of my place, and I'm not spending the same amount of money that I would fora solar pv ystem as I would to run a line to the property and then give them the privilege of charging me for the electricity after that. I fully understand why they want to protect their own systems by not letting just any old boob plug in, but come on...

Yes, no man is an island, but I can at least try to be an archipelago, or a peninsula...

Maybe I can convince a local, approved contractor to check my work (i'll pay him for the service call) so I can qualify...
    Mate3s
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

Generally, Utility funded rebates will not pay for pure off grid systems. They are usually only for connected customers.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Is those incentives foe the power company,s customers? If you aren,t connected to the power company then you aren,t thier customer. I would think You should qualify for the 30% federal taxbreak. solarvic
  • pabloesguapo
    Options

Called APS (1-800-659-8148 ). The lady said that with an off-grid system, I would qualify for the incentive, but, obviously, wouldn't get any credits towards my bill for any extra electricity I would sell back to APS, since I wouldn't be connected to the grid. Their program is closed for 2011, but they should be announcing the new incentives for 2012 soon. They don't know what the rebate per watt would be, but in 2011 it was $1.45/watt of PV generating power.

I found the following on the DSIRE website: (Emphasis added by me)
    http://www.dsireusa.org/incentives/incentive.cfm?Incentive_Code=AZ06R&State=federal&currentpageid=1&ee=1&re=1

"With the exception of solar energy systems designed or installed by the final owner, systems sold or installed in Arizona must be installed by licensed solar contractors and must comply with any consumer protection, rating, certification, performance, marking, installation and safety standards adopted by the Arizona Department of Commerce. Furthermore, the installation of a solar energy system must meet the requirements of all applicable fire, safety and building codes; consumer-protection standards, including freeze protection and temperature-related-damage standards adopted by the Arizona Department of Commerce; and all other applicable federal, state and local laws.

I'm the final owner, I'm designing and installing the system myself, therefore I don't need a contractor. As long as it is UL, NEC, and/or IEC listed, and it passes a Yavapai county building code inspection, should be good to go, right?

Am I correct, or am I not?
    Mate3s
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Called APS (1-800-659-8148 ). The lady said that with an off-grid system, I would qualify for the incentive, but, obviously, wouldn't get any credits towards my bill for any extra electricity I would sell back to APS, since I wouldn't be connected to the grid. Their program is closed for 2011, but they should be announcing the new incentives for 2012 soon. They don't know what the rebate per watt would be, but in 2011 it was $1.45/watt of PV generating power.

I found the following on the DSIRE website: (Emphasis added by me)
    http://www.dsireusa.org/incentives/incentive.cfm?Incentive_Code=AZ06R&State=federal¤tpageid=1&ee=1&re=1

"With the exception of solar energy systems designed or installed by the final owner, systems sold or installed in Arizona must be installed by licensed solar contractors and must comply with any consumer protection, rating, certification, performance, marking, installation and safety standards adopted by the Arizona Department of Commerce. Furthermore, the installation of a solar energy system must meet the requirements of all applicable fire, safety and building codes; consumer-protection standards, including freeze protection and temperature-related-damage standards adopted by the Arizona Department of Commerce; and all other applicable federal, state and local laws.

I'm the final owner, I'm designing and installing the system myself, therefore I don't need a contractor. As long as it is UL, NEC, and/or IEC listed, and it passes a Yavapai county building code inspection, should be good to go, right?

Am I correct, or am I not?

I would say that if you can get a permit and a green sticker from the inspector you should be good to go with APS. The did require a couple things the inspector missed but they were minor things on ground bonding. Get your reservation from APS before you pull the permit, then you have 6 months with APS to get it done.

If you want to come and look at one that has been accepted just PM me.
  • solarix
    solarix Solar Expert Posts: 713 ✭✭
    Options

Part of the reasoning for permits and inspections is to standardize building construction so that someday when you move on, the next owner will not be left with an unrecognizable mess. A huge restriction on our freedoms I say - but then I've seen some really sad messes too.
    I'd be glad to work with you on getting approved. Send me a schematic, do the work yourself, send me good pictures or have me run over there to inspect it and I'll get you going.
    APS does pay for off-grid systems. Haven't heard yet what the level will be for 2012 though. (maybe down to $0.75/watt)
    I believe you are in Yavapai county which is a difficult jurisdiction. Very strict on the plan checking - CAD drawings only, and a wet-stamped structural engineered mounting plan.
  • pabloesguapo
    Options

Thanks, guys. I will definitely take you both up on that once I get to those points.

I have our hosts working up a quote for me on a PV system. Once I get that, Solarix, if I could send you the list amd you could draw up a schematic for ne, that would be awesome.

Yeah, Yavapai is super-stupid strict. Fortunately, I'm working already with an engineer who can draw and stamp some CAD plans for me pretty cheap.
    Mate3s