YAY! We Now Have A Well.... Now What?

Options
pabloesguapo
pabloesguapo Solar Expert Posts: 116 ✭✭
I just got word today, our well is dug! But, now what?

I'm told that it's a shallow gusher: 205 ft deep, and pumps at 79 GPM! Our HOA's CCnR's require us to govern the flow at 15GPM. I'm ok with that, that's still plenty of water.

Up to this point, I have been doing my homework and studying up on log cabin plans and construction, solar PV systems and electrical wiring, and as some of you know, last week I was concentrating on hot water solutions. I have very little idea where to begin with how to get the water out of the hole and into the pipes in my house. I think I would like to go with a solar powered pump, but I don't know where to begin looking for one.

So, I was wondering if anyone here could forward me some links to manufacturers, dealers, maybe some tutorials?

Thanks,
-P.
27 Kyocera panels, 6,500w
24 CG2 6v batteries, 48v, 630Ah
Midnite Classic 150 & Classic 150 Lite in "follow me" mode
(2) Outback fx3648 inverters
Generac ecogen 6kw backup generator
Mate3s

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: YAY! We Now Have A Well.... Now What?

Congrats - Now you need to figure out how you want to provide pressure

elevated tank .4psi per foot elevation. (handy if you have a hill, or can build a water tower.) Small pump, running a hour or 2 per day @ 1 gpm, can keep a 500 gallon tank full

Pressure tank, about a 40 gallon tank, with a 20 gallon air bladder (innertube) that provides water pressure, which intermittenely is pumped full, and is used till pressure drops, and the pump kicks in again.

Pressure pump. Vari-speed pump runs as needed to keep desired pressure in the water lines. Deep well pumps, generally can't do this. Can be used with a ground level tank to make house pressure
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Congrats on such a good well in AZ.

Have you been thinking about a ground level cistern with a strictly solar powered pump setup?
  • pabloesguapo
    Options

Yes. In simple terms: Pump it out of the hole into a "X-Hundred gallon" ground storage tank. If I tap out of that from the bottom, the sheer weight of the water will push it to my house, right? (As long as it's uphill or even elevation to the house, that is...)
    Mate3s
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

Our host has some pumps:

Solar Water Pumps, DC Pumps, Solar Well Pumps

Given they are in Flagstaff Az, you can probably get some good help from them on what works well in the area.

Making your list of doable options such as pump to tank/cistern vs well pump+pressure tank, irrigation, and seasonal requirements will help narrow things down too.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • pabloesguapo
    Options

Can I pump it out of the well, into a large "something hundred" gallon tank (so we always have a few days' worth of water in case of system failure) and then let that slowly feed a 30-40 gallon pressure tank?
    Mate3s
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Can I pump it out of the well, into a large "something hundred" gallon tank (so we always have a few days' worth of water in case of system failure) and then let that slowly feed a 30-40 gallon pressure tank?

Unless you have a site to place the tank up hill you will need a pressure pump with a pressure contactor. It probably doesn't need to be large.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

You can always pump from any tank into a pressure tank. Depending on yr use, you might consider avoiding the problems with a large tank, and just pump directly into a pressure tank,, or two or three. Above ground tanks introduce another level of problems,, and sanitation issues that direct pumping into p tanks don't

Tony
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

now knowing a bit more, it takes a large pump, and a lot of power to pump from deep well to a pressure tank, and it has to run every time you use about 15 gallons.

I'd suggest using a small solar pump, to pump to a moderate size above ground tank (500 gal) and let that gravity feed your pressure pump. The pressure pump will not need to be large, because the water is right there, just needs to pressurize it.

Depending on how fast you cycle water through the 500 gal tank, and how clean the water is, you may have to treat it, maybe with an ozoneator.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Volvo Farmer
    Volvo Farmer Solar Expert Posts: 209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    icarus wrote: »
    You can always pump from any tank into a pressure tank. Depending on yr use, you might consider avoiding the problems with a large tank, and just pump directly into a pressure tank,, or two or three. Above ground tanks introduce another level of problems,, and sanitation issues that direct pumping into p tanks don't

Tony

True, but I really like having 1600 gallons of water in reserve. If my well pump quits, I have 3-4 weeks supply to sort it out. We use a Shurflo 2088 into a 40 gallon pressure tank. Not much pressure, but it works and is cheap and easy to replace.

Do below ground tanks have sanitation issues? We have had a concrete underground tank here for years and have never had sanitation issues with it.
  • icarus
    Options

I am not a water quality expert, but it seems to me that any time you have water exposed to air you have. Potential for contamination. That said, if you chlorinate it is probably not an issue.

T.
  • pabloesguapo
    Options

Sounds like I was thinking along the same lines as Mike. Low power/flow pump into a big tank and gravity feed a pressure tank.

Volvo, are you the author of this article, by chance?

http://byexample.com/projects/current/submersible_well_pump/

Thanks for the link, B.B. I tried calling, but it was just barely after hours.

Dave, we have to get together sometime once I move down there, we're practically next door neighbors! :)
    Mate3s
  • Volvo Farmer
    Volvo Farmer Solar Expert Posts: 209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

That is not my article.

So you have a place 100 ft above your house you can put your storage tank? at .4 psi/cu ft (Mike's number) it would take 100 ft of head to supply decent household pressure without a booster pump.
  • icarus
    Options

100 feet of head will yield ~40 psi, less friction loses.

Icarus
  • pabloesguapo
    Options

Right. 100ft? That ain't gonna happen.

Solar pump into a big tank> 12v (solar) pump into a pressure tank?
    Mate3s
  • icarus
    Options

I use a Shurflo submersible, pumping into a 60 PSI pressure tank. Draws ~ 15 amps on 12 vdc, pumps ~ 3-5 gpm.

Tony
  • SCharles
    SCharles Solar Expert Posts: 123 ✭✭
    Options

We have a 2000 gal. cistern [built from concrete block and sitting on the ground, solid rock here so could not bury it] we fill from our well, topping it off every couple months on a sunny, clear day. We run a Grunfos soft-start 120 v. pump to do this. I decided to go with that, powered from our house PV system, rather than a "solar" pump, as to do that would have meant buying another complete PV charging set-up just for the pump. We have plenty of electricity from the house system on sunny days, so I spent a little money on 6 ga. direct-burial wiring and ran it from the house to the well. It was much less expensive than a dedicated solar pumping op' and simpler for us.

We draw water from the cistern with a 12 v. Dankoff Flowlight pump. We have a pressure tank in the house, I don't recall but it is probably around 30 gal., maybe 40. That is all automatic, with a pressure switch, so the only thing I have to do is monitor the level in the cistern and switch on the Grunfos to fill it. And switch it off before sundown.

Works great.

As to the cistern, we've had it over 20 years. It is as sealed up as I could make it. However, I have had to drain and clean it out three times in those two decades. There are always a few crickets or spiders that somehow get in there and drown. And etc. We run the water through a reverse osmosis filter in the kitchen for human consumption.
  • pabloesguapo
    Options

@SCharles - That's an interesting idea. Maybe I can run a 120v line in the same trench (different conduit, of course) when I run the water pipes? Or at least run two side by side as long as I have the trencher rented for the day? Not exactly sure yet how long the run is between well and proposed house site. I definitely like the idea od not having to buy another PV system, even if it's small. We're in AZ, with plenty of sunshine, so I think siphoning a little electricity off the house once in a while isn't going to be much of an issue.
    Mate3s
  • BB.
    Options

I always suggest to bury one or two large diameter ABS plastic pipe (or rated electrical conduit if you not a cheap son of a gun) in trenches to allow for possible expansion without having to open up a new trench.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • SCharles
    SCharles Solar Expert Posts: 123 ✭✭
    Options
    @SCharles - That's an interesting idea. Maybe I can run a 120v line in the same trench (different conduit, of course) when I run the water pipes? Or at least run two side by side as long as I have the trencher rented for the day? Not exactly sure yet how long the run is between well and proposed house site. I definitely like the idea od not having to buy another PV system, even if it's small. We're in AZ, with plenty of sunshine, so I think siphoning a little electricity off the house once in a while isn't going to be much of an issue.

This is what I did [one trench]. The hillside I had to run the pipe and wire down is extremely steep and rocky. No machine I can think of would work. I had to do it by hand. So, no way I wanted to do two trenches. I got some of that sky-blue plastic pipe for potable water from a well/pump/etc. wholesale place through my driller who let me go get stuff on his account. I put the direct-burial cables in the same trench.

The run from my inverter to the well pump is a ways out there. Don't recall exactly, but it was probably 350 feet, possibly more. I calculated the loss due to that run for 120 v. and the draw of the pump with a relative who just retired as an electrician and was interested and still had some books he used when he worked. That gave me 6 ga. wire for a slight and acceptable loss. The wire was expensive, but it was nowhere near as expensive as a solar installation with controller/battery/panels/rack/etc. down at the well site. The dedicated solar pumping station is a very elegant solution but also quite pricey for just running a pump.

So figure out how long of a run you will have for the wiring, how much starting current your choice of pump will need, and whether your house inverter will handle that surge. I suggest buying a bit longer wire than you think you'll need; you don't want to hassle with "extending" a too-short wire and you can use the left over for other PV stuff sooner or later.

For us, using our existing house PV system worked out to be so much simpler once I had it all done. And I put control switches down at the well house as well as up at the cottage so I can turn the pump on from either location. Another thing I did was to put an electrical outlet down at the well house, on the same wires I ran for the pump, in case I ever needed to operate an electric drill or whatever down there. I have already used that outlet several times.....
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    SCharles wrote: »
    I put control switches down at the well house as well as up at the cottage so I can turn the pump on from either location. Another thing I did was to put an electrical outlet down at the well house, on the same wires I ran for the pump, in case I ever needed to operate an electric drill or whatever down there. .....

I like both those add ons.. I am going to duplicate them next summer... Plus add an empty conduit with a string inside in case something happens to the original. BTW the lines have to pass under my boat launch access road

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you're pulling one wire, pull at least one more! The minimal cost of wire will be saved if you don't have to trench again.

Been there, done that. It was nice to just hook up the extra pulled wire when it was needed.

Ralph
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Ralph, good idea. what are your thoughts about conduit size?

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Fe-Wood
    Fe-Wood Solar Expert Posts: 96 ✭✭
    Options

I run the Grundfos SQFLEX system and love it! I have 4000gls of above ground storage that I use for irrigation and domestic water. The system is stand alone, meaning it has 4 PV panels to run the pump, float switch and controller. I live on a hill so one dwelling has gravity feed while the other has a small sureflo 120VAC pressure pump run into a small bladder tank (pressure tank). The irrigation runs on gravity. I am at the minimum elevation drop to make this work. Think on demand hot water heater and solenoid valves.

One suggestion-
    Narrow down your needs and requirements as best you can before you put anything in. By anything I mean your power system, water system, heating system (water and air), cooling system etc. Whether or not you will be putting in a pond. I know, its the desert but still... With careful planning and all the new goodies and old technologies available, you can tie them all together to achieve optimal efficiency and simplicity.
    I wish I had done this as my systems have been evolving for the last 10 years.
  • pabloesguapo
    Options

Thanks for all the input, guys. This will help a lot.

I have a new riddle to solve. I will repost this as a new htread too.

I would like to use this well to irrigate a few acres of my land in addition to providing H2O to my house. The well is at the same level for about half this land I want to irrigate, and even a bit below some of it too. How do I provide enough pressure to irrigate a few acres worth of land, especially the land that is uphill?
    Mate3s
  • BB.
    Options

Since you did ask the questions in a new thread--I will move my post over there... And I would suggest that everyone post their discussion points there too (more difficult if same question on multiple threads).

-Bill