Wind Power

I'm a newbie bear with me, I want to learn more about wind power. I have a question and hope you guys could help me out. Recently I purchased a PMA motor, the graph shows 150V/1000watts @ 1200 RPM. If I have a charge controller rated 24 volt then my battery bank should be 24 volt as well. My question is how can I achieve the maximum wattage or 150 volt from the motor to feed my battery if the incoming load is more than enough for the battery bank to handle and would the charge controller clamps or dump the excess voltage? Thank you and more power folks.

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: Wind Power

airplane propellers spin at 1200 RPM

Wind generators should not.

Are you able to get your money back on the PMA ?

More realsitic RPM's would be 10- 200 RPM
    Most DIY homebrew props will fly quite a distance when they break off the hub.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

There are MPPT charge controllers for wind turbines too (similar to solar panel MPPT charge controllers).

You might try talking with Midnite Solar about the wind version of their "classic" controller.

There are a couple of other places that may have MPPT controllers available too for wind turbines...

However, these are not cheap and you want to be very sure of your setup (>60 foot tower, miserably windy conditions for good power production, mechanically reliable turbine, etc.) before you lay out your cash.

Otherwise, start with a simple diversion/dump type controller (yes, 24 volt battery connected to your turbine which limits its output power) until you get the rest of the system dialed in--then swap in the MPPT wind controller.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    mike90045 wrote: »
    Most DIY homebrew props will fly quite a distance when they break off the hub.

Oh don't I know it! Been there, done that. Some parts I never saw again. But hey, I survived to tell about it - - - because I was 180 miles away then it violently self-disassembled in a wind storm. :p
    Furthermore, extremely few were the days when the wind turbine produced ANY usable power at all, while with solar, very few and far between were the days when it doesn't produce at least some usable power. The facts of life whether we like it or not.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    BB. wrote: »
    There are MPPT charge controllers for wind turbines too (similar to solar panel MPPT charge controllers).

You might try talking with Midnite Solar about the wind version of their "classic" controller.

There are a couple of other places that may have MPPT controllers available too for wind turbines...

However, these are not cheap and you want to be very sure of your setup (>60 foot tower, miserably windy conditions for good power production, mechanically reliable turbine, etc.) before you lay out your cash.

Otherwise, start with a simple diversion/dump type controller (yes, 24 volt battery connected to your turbine which limits its output power) until you get the rest of the system dialed in--then swap in the MPPT wind controller.

-Bill

as to the classic, there is no a special version for wind as each classic has the ability to go for solar, wind, and hydro. the exact model may only depend on voltage constraints. the clipper might be needed for wind and i believe they just started making them. not sure if those are shipping yet. details are still best by contacting them, but they also frequent here too so don't be surprised if one of them answers your inquiry direct here. i know halfcrazy has reported getting a marked increase in power produced by his hy using the classic and visiting their website and forum contains much information the op might like to read.:cool:
  • Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭
    while with solar, very few and far between were the days when it doesn't produce at least some usable power.

Yes Wayne, but just how much toast could you make from my 10kw system on a day with 2.4kwhrs?:grr

Ralph
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Ralph Day wrote: »
    Yes Wayne, but just how much toast could you make from my 10kw system on a day with 2.4kwhrs?:grr
    Ralph

Wait now, I had to read that one! Hahaha Do I pick up a wee bit of sarcasm there? :p
  • kenputer
    kenputer Solar Expert Posts: 27

The battery voltage will hold it down until they are full,that is when your dump controller comes into play. It will not need the 1200 rpm to make 24 volts.
  • Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭

At least tongue in cheek Wayne:roll: Maybe more frustration than anything.

AS far as wind goes, this is one of the few days in the year when wind will provide almost all the energy for the day. And as everyone says, if it was this windy year round, enough to provide all our needs, we would go mad! The noise level of constant wind is aggravating in the extreme.

Ralph