Garbogen VS Wind Blue.

Options
old wind
old wind Registered Users Posts: 15
mike90045 asked my to explain the Garbogen. I've been DIY building small scale wind generator for 13 years.

The Garbogen is this. Garbage disposal ac induction motor conversion alternator purposed as a wind generator. 13 years ago it was decided that name was to long. Garbogen is shorter and easier to say.

This unit is a 1 HP, 120 vac, 10 amp, single phase , 1725 rpm, induction motor. Its original rotor has been removed. It has been fitted with a home built solid steel armature fitted with 4 curved NEO magnets. It is configured as a 2 phase output. It has 2 fullwave bridge rectifiers. The bridge dc outputs are paralleled. The start and run coils are reconfigured for 12 volt use.

In truck mounted wind tests this unit has been pushed to 80 amps at 15 volts. This was for short term and without burnout. This was 1200 watts. That just happens to be the motors wattage rating. 120vX 10 amps = 1200 watts. This rating though does not include the start winding rating. The start windings do contribute to power production however but are not used during motor operation, only for starting.

In tower mount applications its not unusual to see 40 amps in higher wind speeds.

I've been testing 5 small wind generators at the same time. This test procedure uses an amp meter for each wind generator. The load is a common 12 volt battery bank consisting of 4 each 6 volt golf cart batteries. There is a common battery volt meter. There are also an analog and digital anemometers.

This is a good system to compare all units against the others at a glance. I've made Hrs of videos and many still shots.

The wind generators being tested are the Garbogen, Wind Blue, Wind Blue with mods and my blades, DIY GM 24 volt = NEO stator , DIY 14-11 dual rotor axial flux.

All of the units have the same 55" blades accept my Garbogen it has 49" blades.

Here are the garbogen pictures.

The first picture is the new rotor. The second picture is a comparison of the Delco Wind Blue type stators and the Garbogen stator.

The last picture shows the meter readings of all 5 of the wind generators at 21 mph. This was at 15.11 battery volts.

From left to right.

Garbogen 16.5 volts, Wind Blue 5.92 volts, Wind Blue with my mods and blades, DIY Delco GM alt with my blades, the 14-11 dual rotor axial flux alternator. Also a pictures of the wind generators of the shed roof.

Jerry