Nanosolar will anounce selling of $1/watt retail panels

2»

Comments

• solarix
    solarix Solar Expert Posts: 713 ✭✭
    Re: Nanosolar will anounce selling of $1/watt retail panels

No, I'm not holding my breath for Nanosolar, but I would have to cash in a good investment I've got going to do the 10kW system I need (2 businesses here) and while I sell solar to others as being affordable - I gotta say it isn't that good of an investment yet.
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭

This company has been awfully quiet the past few months, after a big round of hype.

Not sure they have actually got anything in production yet. Has anyone heard anything? - A search of news stories for the past few months turns up almost nothing new.
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭

They will probably come out and blame the credit crunch as the cause for delays and the issue another 100 million shares to raise more capital to keep them a float a few more months

I also think solar is going to glut big time this year, a side effect of this is any of the "gold rush" solar new comers, including Nano Scammer will fold
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭

At least two places now I have seen predict a market glut of panels in 2009, due to both falling sales and rising production.

It will not surprise me to see Nanosolar and several other startups that leaped on the hype bandwagon go under this year.

http://www.solarindustrymag.com/e107_plugins/content/content.php?content.2290
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Any news about nanosolar???
  • Ecnerwal
    Ecnerwal Solar Expert Posts: 101 ✭✭

Press releases are a dime a dozen. If press releases were remotely related to truth, I'd have the 8KW propane powered fuel cell for $15K sitting outside my shop, making reliable power and hot water. That was "coming in two years" in either 1997 or 1999, I forget. Last time I looked they cost about $90K and appeared to have an operational life of about a year. Then it was Stirling engines - I think if you drop $30K you can perhaps get a nice quiet 2KW unit to put on your yacht, but if you don't have a yacht or two or three, you can't afford one. Gas Microturbines - again, $30-100K products.

So, I have an 8KW Diesel that set me back $2000 (it's used, but it's a Northern Lights), and a 5KW gas that set me back $200 (it's an elderly Kohler). Fuel backup covered with actual products that can actually be bought, not vaporware.

The Sub dollar per watt solar products have also proved, repeatedly, to be bogus. Unisolar was going to be that - cheap cheap cheap, we pump the stuff out by the mile - what, $7/watt last time I bothered to look? It's flexible, so they can charge more, and they do. Remember good old green and gold from Australia with their vaporware concentrating tracker, supposed (IIRC) to be available for purchase in the US spring 2006 - whoops, not true? It's all about fleecing the venture capitalists until actual product hits the retail market, IMHO.

And when it does, if (as they are now) Kaneka and Evergreen are flirting with $4/watt, the best you're likely to see (no matter what it costs the manufacturer to make) is going to be $3.75, because their job is to make a profit, not to make cheap solar cells. If they can underprice the competition and make 250% profit, that's what will happen, right up until someone else starts selling one cheaper yet.

"If it sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't true"
    "A bird in hand is worth two in the bush"
    "Don't hold your breath"
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

"And when it does, if (as they are now) Kaneka and Evergreen are flirting with $4/watt, the best you're likely to see (no matter what it costs the manufacturer to make) is going to be $3.75, because their job is to make a profit, not to make cheap solar cells. If they can underprice the competition and make 250% profit, that's what will happen, right up until someone else starts selling one cheaper yet."

Evergreen is closer to flirting with $3/watt than $4 depending on where you buy. I think that we are going to see prices fall through the floor for the short term this year as large scale demand dries up for lack of funding.

The current economic meltdown, coupled with crashing oil prices are hell on RE business' of all sorts. Let's hope the new administration shows some leadership and rationality going forward so that at least these business' can have a predictable pricing structure.

Tony