Magnum inverter

Options
ws9876
ws9876 Solar Expert Posts: 440 ✭✭✭
People say the Magnum is good in part because of the price and the battery charger onboard.... does their charger make it unnecessary to have a charge controller..????

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    Re: Magnum inverter

Generally inverter + charger is an AC battery charger. It does take the place of a solar DC battery charger.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you have PV input, you will need a Charge Controller.

The Magnum on board charger that runs from the grid or generator is well-regarded. One of the reasons for this regard is because it is Power-Factor corrected. This is more kind to a generator, making better use of its output capability

I have no experience with Magnum, but a number of members here use them.

Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

as was basically said the charger is for the 120vac input power and not a dc input from pvs. controllers normally address a dc input voltage usually from a renewable power source.
  • solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I just bought one last week. Manual shows that you can supply it with either 120 or 240 v. I understand that you can charge with 120 and get 220 out if read the manual right. :Dsolarvic:D Ps I will have more questions. Ordered a classic 150 yesterday.