solar wand

Options
ws9876
ws9876 Solar Expert Posts: 440 ✭✭✭
anyone have one of these by Butler...???? what do you think of it..??? I guess they are 550$ now...

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: solar wand

i think it's worthless for most applications. 1000a? i want to see how anybody would wire it as that would be outrageously big wire.
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    Options
    niel wrote: »
    i think it's worthless for most applications. 1000a? i want to see how anybody would wire it as that would be outrageously big wire.
    I'm confused. I googled it and came up with a link to the Butler Solar Wand, which is a heat exchanger that cycles glycol from a rooftop collector through a replacement to an electrical heating element in a conventional water heater. It's not electrical at all.

I didn't see a reference to 1000A anywhere, but many electrical heating elements for water heaters are 1000W; perhaps that is what was meant?
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

Water heater elements are usually 3500 Watts, not 1000.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

my bad as i was looking at something else. senior moment.:cry:
  • ggunn
    Options
    Water heater elements are usually 3500 Watts, not 1000.
    They come in different flavors. I once built a CO2 fog machine from a small metal oil drum and a water heater element I got at a hardware store. It was 1000W @ 120VAC.
  • ws9876
    ws9876 Solar Expert Posts: 440 ✭✭✭
    Options

its the glycol circulator folks
  • ggunn
    Options
    ws9876 wrote: »
    We know.

Eighteen characters...
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    ws9876 wrote: »

To that end, I shouldn't think there's much surface area in an element-sized heat exchanger to do much transfer at the temperature available. In other words, I wouldn't expect the glycol unit to get as hot as an electric one. That doesn't mean it won't work, but expect the recovery time to be much longer. Probably better with a smaller tank.

And I did says water heater elements are usually 3500 Watts, not always 3500 Watts. Some of them are 4500, in fact; faster recovery time (at the expense of more electric of course).