got my solar hooked up! a few questions

Options
spanel
spanel Solar Expert Posts: 36 ✭✭
I have a trimetric hooked up and it shows around 30watts positive power going into the batteries... (2 x135watt panels). Would this be because the batteries are 100% charged? (im thinking so.. just trickle charging now).

I have 2 trogen T105re's..

The trimetric setup.. I used

P1 14.3 volts
P2 5
P3 230

Does that sound about right? Also.. I dont have a second set of batteries.. anyway to make the B2 not show up 1st or at all when pushing select?

Thanks!!

Chris

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: got my solar hooked up! a few questions

If the charge controller has decided the batteries are "full" or in the tail of the absorb phase, the charging current will be reduced going into the battery bank...

So, what is the charger's voltage setting(s) and what is the current battery voltage?

Note that having too thin/too long of cables from the charge controller to the battery bank can also reduce charging currents (too much voltage drop in wiring will confuse the charge controller).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • spanel
    spanel Solar Expert Posts: 36 ✭✭
    Options

sunsaver 20... showed 14.4 volts on the meter.

Chris
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

Basically, when the voltage on the battery reaches the set point, the current into the battery is controlled by the battery itself.

If the controller has a "float mode", after a period of time, the controller will drop the voltage down to ~13.2-13.6 volts to reduce out-gassing on the battery bank (to much charging on a battery bank is hard on the batteries too and wastes water).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset