Best remote monitoring options?

topper
topper Solar Expert Posts: 113 ✭✭
I have been really interested in Xantrex/Schnieder XW6048, but the reviews on their gateway for remote monitoring is looking real iffy. I haven't found any positive notes on it at all. Every post is a real disappointment. I would like to have a battery based system with remote monitoring and/or data logging capability. A remote gen start option would be nice, and online options for when we are away.
All opinions are welcome.
Name your brand and your comments. What is out there that works and what does not.
Thanks
Ken

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: Best remote monitoring options?

Julie has been working on the GreenHouse software - I don't know if she is still active here or not.

I've got a gateway, and it's mostly a pain to configure, and the yahoo widget is useless, but it does log data.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Altnrgy
    Altnrgy Registered Users Posts: 6

If you just want to be able to monitor check out this line of battery powered sensors. It might be able to do most of what you want to do.

http://www.monnit.com/

They have a large variety of sensors that will allow you monitor and datalog many things. I've got this system at my place. Very affordable and easy to set up. It works very nicely when it works but it randomly quits and requires me to be on-site to reset it about every week or two. Of course this makes it nearly useless for remote monitoring applications.

They promise me that I'm the only person this happens too. They are very serious about getting to the bottom of my problem and have requested that I send my gear back to them for analysis. I suspect it has more to do with my HughesNet satellite internet than their product. Oh...the second I get another ISP option...

I sure hope someone is able to respond with a product that does what you want it do. I've been watching the market for such a product for years and it's been pretty disappointing. Nothing does it all from what I've seen and all of the products have what I would classify as severe limitations that the manufacturer is "a month away or so away from resolving" for two years going on now.

Best, T
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Altnrgy wrote: »
    ......suspect it has more to do with my HughesNet satellite internet than their product. Oh...the second I get another ISP option...

I'm looking at a "wireless hotspot". I have 3G cell coverage in my area, should be at least as satisfactory as satellite, and someday it will build out to 4g, so I can burn through the 5GB cap faster.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• topper
    topper Solar Expert Posts: 113 ✭✭

Everything I have found only does 1/2 of what I would like. I may have to go with independant sensors and a computer to run it. Real cost DEFECTIVE solution. Still have lots of time anyway. Project is on hold till I decide what I'm doing.
    Is anyone running sunnyboy? or a Sunny island?
    Is anyone using Solar Edge?
  • tallgirl
    tallgirl Solar Expert Posts: 413 ✭✭

I have a client, Maverick Brown of Maverick Solar Enterprises, who's been using a PentaMetric to do inverter-indirect monitoring for a number of his XW clients. I have the Xantrex Gateway Modbus specs lying around somewhere, but I'm underwhelmed by the reliability of the Xanbus.

I've been trying to find the free time to sell the "Model 229P" -- pre-programmed greenMonitor Lite configured for a PentaMetric -- through NAWS, but this has been a hugely busy year for me. I have all the contact information for the sales peeps at NAWS, I just haven't had the time. Which will correct itself now that the sun has crossed the equator in the wrong direction. So ... hopefully you'll be able to order that model.

I know Maverick has been slammed for work, but if he shows up, I'm sure he can put in a good word for the product.

Plus, the greenMonitor Lite does tricks -- it runs on 5 watts DC at 12 volts and has a very nice embedded web server with more information than you can shake a stick at.
  • tallgirl
    mike90045 wrote: »
    Julie has been working on the GreenHouse software - I don't know if she is still active here or not.

I've got a gateway, and it's mostly a pain to configure, and the yahoo widget is useless, but it does log data.

Dude. I've been working on my commercial gear for the past 6 months. I'm hoping to position myself better to compete against Deck and Draker next year.
  • techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭
    mike90045 wrote: »
    I'm looking at a "wireless hotspot". I have 3G cell coverage in my area, should be at least as satisfactory as satellite, and someday it will build out to 4g, so I can burn through the 5GB cap faster.

Cell vs. satellite is no comparison anymore. I now have 3G+ in my area and have seen speeds as high as 5 GB/s, with little latency, usually its around 2 GB/s. I've talked to several people in my area that HAD Hughes, but got rid of it due to very high latency and because it was far slower than cell phone tethering is now. Not to mention you can take your connection anywhere including going down the road. Can't do that with a dish.
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is
  • tallgirl
    techntrek wrote: »
    Cell vs. satellite is no comparison anymore. I now have 3G+ in my area and have seen speeds as high as 5 GB/s, with little latency, usually its around 2 GB/s. I've talked to several people in my area that HAD Hughes, but got rid of it due to very high latency and because it was far slower than cell phone tethering is now. Not to mention you can take your connection anywhere including going down the road. Can't do that with a dish.

Somehow I doubt 5GB/s. That's around 100GHz for the radio frequency!
  • b. ecologìcAll
    b. ecologìcAll Registered Users Posts: 41 ✭✭✭

please provide more information regarding the monitoring of a xantrex xw6048
    I need a solution to display in a webpage historical data of solar systems with xantrex xw inverters
    thanks
  • stephendv
    stephendv Solar Expert Posts: 1,571 ✭✭
    topper wrote: »
    Everything I have found only does 1/2 of what I would like. I may have to go with independant sensors and a computer to run it. Real cost DEFECTIVE solution. Still have lots of time anyway. Project is on hold till I decide what I'm doing.
    Is anyone running sunnyboy? or a Sunny island?
    Is anyone using Solar Edge?

There have been some open source solutions to this using cheap wifi routers + software. See: http://sisolo.softwaredd.net/operating-system.html significant DIY required, but will cost under $100