Options
13»

Comments

• Dill
    Dill Solar Expert Posts: 170 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: Led lights
    2manytoyz wrote: »
    A couple of weeks ago, I purchased 4 LED spotlights to replace the lights in my kitchen. Bought these at Home Depot, about $28 each. Unlike many LED lights I've looked at, these weren't the very white, almost blue lights. These are a very warm color.

I've had friends & family over to the house, and until I told them, they had no idea anything was different about the lighting. Good sign. There's no flicker, and no warm up time unlike many CFLs. There is a half second delay when turning on the switch before they turn on, but not an issue.

These are dimmable, but they are just connected to a switch.

These are 75W equivalent according to the packaging. I believe it, these are bright! So went from 4 bulbs at 75W each (300W total) to 4 bulbs at 14W each (56W total). I will be connecting this lighting circuit to alt-power before long...

I have other LED lighting that's only so/so. But these are great. If they last half as long as the rating, I'd be very happy. I'd certainly recommend giving these a try.

I bought similar lights from Menards, they are warm like those as well. I LOVE them.

Looking forward to seeing your re-install of your system at the new place Robert.
  • 2manytoyz
    2manytoyz Solar Expert Posts: 373 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Dill wrote: »
    I bought similar lights from Menards, they are warm like those as well. I LOVE them.

Looking forward to seeing your re-install of your system at the new place Robert.

No Menards here, but heard good things about their store.

Getting a few other honey-dos done first, but should start putting the panels on the new roof in a few weeks. It's a rather steep pitch, so this is going to be a challenge. Going to be using a safety line for sure.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

So impressed with the latest LED offerings that I'm in the process of throwing out all the CFLs. Gotta love the basically instant on @ full brightness, especially appreciated in the yard lights. and lights in out buildings, when during cold winter nights we really had to look to see if the CFL was actually on for the first 10 minutes. And I LOVE that they give even more light/watt than the CFL's! With CFL's I was getting about 4 times the light. and I used to think that was great, but now with the newest LED, I'm getting roughly 10 times more light per watt!
    My color preference is "neutral", roughly 4000K, which I find gives the best color rendition. I personally don't care for the far warm white (2700k), and hate the blue-white (6500k). But to each his or her own. Unfortunately most of the latest available here now are either warm white, or blue. What happened to the happy medium?