generator in to AC disconnect

Options
ws9876
ws9876 Solar Expert Posts: 440 ✭✭✭
do most AC disconnects have a generator in??... like this diagram from homepower shows..??

and what size generator is suitable to run a submers. pump 240v 10 amp..Franklin..

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: generator in to AC disconnect

Semantics of nomenclature!

A "disconnect" is something that shuts off power flow to a load. It has two positions: 'ON' and 'OFF'.

You're thinking of a "transfer switch" which is designed to switch loads from one power source to another. The most common of these would be the type use for generator back-up on critical AC loads. They may not be label as such, but essentially it's 'LOAD' switched between two inputs such as 'MAINS' and 'GEN'. Usually the main panel will have a 50 Amp or so breaker going to a sub-panel with the transfer switch to accept generator input and a sub-set of breakers for critical load circuits.

As for the pump question, 240 Volts @ 10 Amps is 2400 Watts, but the pump will draw potentially more than this especially upon start-up. How much more is difficult to predict without some expensive metering equipment to check just what the surge is. I know that's not an answer, but I'd hate to say "5kW" and then have you get a gen that can't handle surge or one that uses more fuel than is necessary. Certainly you need a minimum 3kW with a good surge rating, and probably the 5kW is the right answer.

Now along will come the nitpickers to tell you I'm wrong. :p