New Solar Tracker Idea...

Hi Guys,
I've been thinking of a new idea for a Solar tracker for some time.

I have seen projects (single axis) that use two CDS cells with a vertical
plate mounted between them that will cast a shadow on one of them unless
the assembly is aiming at the Sun, and you probably all know the rest....

So now we have introduced a microcontroller already, why don't we simply
calculate the position of the Sun instead of sensing it?
So there are no sensors at all.
The position of the Sun can be calculated given the input of time, date,
and geographic coordinates assuming the array is a permanent installation
only used in a single location.

I have personally tested this Solar algorithm which will not only tell you the angle,
but Sunrise/Sunset times, distance from the Earth, and more.
http://personal.inet.fi/cool/jjlammi/rscalc.c

I understand the motors, etc are easy to work with the constant feedback of the light sensors.
That is the only problem I encounter.. feedback from the motor drivers to tell when the correct
angle of the Sun is reached by the tilting array.
I have figured a possible way to overcome this.

Anything else I might not have considered?

Any random thoughts?

Cheers, Art.

Comments

• Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭
    Re: New Solar Tracker Idea...

been done, many many many times before

The trackers problems is it cost more for the tracker and support ( like many cubic yards of concrete ) than just adding panels to get the same energy harvest PLUS no maintanance on the panels
  • Art
    Art Solar Expert Posts: 32

I don't understand this?
    been done, many many many times before
    I know there are solar trackers.
    The efficiency of Solar trackers isn't the purpose of this thread.

Show me one that finds the position of the Sun using anything other than light sensors.
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭

Just about all the commerical trackers use micro/pc based control, google showes dozens of units ... the idea you suggest has been done for decades, since the 80's with PV

Now the second part my the answer was WHY there are no low-cost residential units forsale, its doesn't make fianical sense when the trackers cost more than adding solar panels.

Your suggesting taking what already doesn't make sense and adding computer hardware which will be both a electrical drag and be the lowest relialble part of the tracker, that addresses your question.

While solar may not be wide spread, just about every concept of improvements have been around for 30+ years.

Here is one found using google

http://www.middletonsolar.com/products/product12.htm

It's default mode is pc computed angles like you suggest
  • nigtomdaw
    nigtomdaw Solar Expert Posts: 705 ✭✭

SG is Right, an american company was on the market 2 years ago selleing just the timer pulse unit you had to make your own frame and actator.and it relied on dip switches to set the parameters up .Expensive for what it was around $200 . Ive searched on the web recently and can find them they were called Solar Compass or something similar.
    Another company last year launched a similar based system using a sattelite tracking head the new compact ones with a timer based system with an inbuilt charge controller, for single panels very price competitive as it included the rack around $200 for a 1.5m2 panel, the more you buy the cheaper they get. I couldnt find them on the internet, but it is a new product, timer based rather that sensor based ! Ive seen european retaillers selling them also.

HTH
  • Art

Well I have to believe what I see in the link.
    I was suggesting using this method with a microcontroller which is already
    in use in some cases to interpret the CDS cells input, so the Microcontroller
    is already there drawing power anyway.
    Fancy using a PC with it's 250 Watt power supply though... unless it's running a
    whole power station....
    but then I guess the whole purpose of the solar installation could be to run the PC.
  • nigtomdaw
    nigtomdaw Solar Expert Posts: 705 ✭✭

Ive found this unit now on the web its called the Suntracer see pdf manual at http://www.teknosolar.es/pdf/Manual_suntracer.pdf

Also for sale at http://www.pro-umwelt.de/suntracer-p-553.html?language=en

As I said for single panels and small panels inbuilt charge controller. The only bit that put me off !

If the links dont work just search suntracer
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Art wrote: »
    Show me one that finds the position of the Sun using anything other than light sensors.

The older trackers used a freon/propane fluid/gas and differential solar heating, to keep them aimed at the sun. Took them a while to "wake up" in the morning and swing back to east.

The sun would heat the tube of liquid, and the vapor would cause an off-balance condition till the array was tracking the sun, and the liquid was evenly heated between right and left side.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Art
    Re: New Solar Tracker Ideas...

Make it "ideas" the plural then.

I hope you like my drawing, I'm particularly proud of how
    I ripped the arrow graphic from the net and used it.

Becasue I'm camping, no installation can ever be permanent,
    so tracking is viable, for weight and cost savings.

But I'm thinking more that the panels are always mounted 45 degrees now,
    and the mast is rotated on it's vertical axis quite quickly relative to a conventional tracker.
    Now the energy consuming components only need to wake up for a short time daily.
    The closer you are to one of the Earth's poles the better.

I'm in Australia, so I think I've done well when I implement a mechanism for turning it.

I don't think every improvement has been thought up and done.
    That is crap actually.
    Every possible improvement exists, but many will be undiscovered.
    :)
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

I have to assume you carry a spare tire soooo, make a nice little base for the mast and place it in the center of the tire (anchor/support) then you dont have to carry something extra... or mount a nice piece of pipe or 2 to the bumper of your truck, put the pole in it and turn to your hearts content...

Cheers
    Eric

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Art

Funny you mention that, because I'm using these:

Tow_Mount.jpg
    Mount.jpg
    Mount_Cut.jpg

to make a better one of these:

TowS.jpg

and was thinking of extendig the length of the pipe for a solar mast.

Only 2WD though :(
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

too bad that that hitch is not a 'receiver type' hitch and you could just swap the ball out for the pole mount.

see the top left pic: http://www.drawtite-hitches.com/?gclid=CKfF0vW8g5ACFRQQhwodzSqdXA

Eric

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Art

Well I'm back again.

Now I have this modified sat dish mount that will become a part of my towbar.
    Tow_Mount.jpg
    So that's My slab of concrete in the ground at little cost.

I've also go this panel:
    Tracker_Back.jpg
    The front of it doesn't matter.
    It was the subject of this thread:
    http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?t=1829
    However naughty, I've given it a solid backing, and used internal aluminium
    bracing to centrally mount to a 45 degree mast that is not yet constructed.

Any ideas on how to get one tube to spin within another with as little friction as possible?
    Many clothes lines do it, and so must some tracking sat dish mounts.

Also....While fixing a multi disc CD player,
    I had a bit of a revelation about a twin axis design that could look up at the Sun a little
    as it makes it's vertical path:
    Irene_CD.jpg
    This machanism is used to lift the laser assembly at the correct timing so that it bobs up
    and down to lift CDs from the multi disc tray as it spins the three discs around.

If the panel were mounted with two hinges, I see a possible way to use a similar design to this:
    Panel.jpg
    But, also looking upwards of 45 degrees as it moves through the centre of it's travel at noon.

Remember in Australia, the Sun's path will never require a panel to be facing directly upwards.
    We are far from the equator, and I'm still thinking this whole contraption should only be powered
    to move for about 2-4 hours a day, and facing East or West the rest of the time.
    Art.