Hurricane Katia

Options
techntrek
techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭
Hate to say it, but the next hurricane is just around the corner. It became a tropical storm last night, will be hurricane by Thursday and will be a major hurricane by Sunday. It is projected to turn slightly north so if we are lucky it will keep turning north and pass between the coast and Bermuda.

If not, this will hit the US by the end of next week... before many people have their power back or repairs done. If you took your panels down for the last storm and haven't put them back up yet, you might want to wait.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at2+shtml/144553.shtml?5-daynl?large#contents
4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is

Comments

• waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Hurricane Katia
    techntrek wrote: »
    if we are lucky it will keep turning north and pass between the coast and Bermuda.

And historically, if it does that, it could well nail us here in Nova Scotia. So we're watching it very closely.
  • techntrek
    Options

Then let's hope it keeps turning so it stays away from you, too.
  • Urbandialect
    Urbandialect Solar Expert Posts: 107 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I hope irene didn't numb people to how serious these hurricanes are. Saw somebody post something here the other day talking about Irene was a bust/ We didn't get one drop of rain here in Georgia from the hurricane, we need rain bad, but not a hurricane. lol
  • bmet
    bmet Solar Expert Posts: 630 ✭✭
    Options

still seeing flood damage on news outlets this morning. Hurricane aftermath probably several times worse than instigating event.
    I hope irene didn't numb people to how serious these hurricanes are. Saw somebody post something here the other day talking about Irene was a bust/ We didn't get one drop of rain here in Georgia from the hurricane, we need rain bad, but not a hurricane. lol
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

There will always be those who will scoff when authorities try to warn them of danger, they are the ones who have to learn the hard way. Every generation has them.
  • Steven Lake
    Steven Lake Solar Expert Posts: 402 ✭✭
    Options

Whoever's in the path of these storms, I hope they're alright. This is the first time in a while that the US has been hit by a Hurricane since the season of Katrina. If I remember right, the last couple years they've flat out missed the US entirely. I'm up in the frozen north, so the worst we get is some severe storms and lots of snow. :( Hope you guys stay safe down there.
  • techntrek
    Options

The good/bad news is the latest update shows this turning north into Bermuda. Bad for them, good for the mainland unless it continues up into New England and Canada.
  • techntrek
    Options

... and now the latest update shows it turning slightly south again in a few days, putting it back on course to be a glancing blow to the Carribean and a direct hit to the US and Bermuda. As a category 3+.

Still looks like a good idea to keep your panels down - or if you live in Florida, to take them down this weekend.