string calculator

bobdog
bobdog Solar Expert Posts: 192 ✭✭
Is there a good yet understandable string calculator out there? I've attempted to understand SMA's version but with no luck. Any ideas? Thanks.

Tim

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: string calculator

Each manufacturer has their own calculator.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• bobdog
    bobdog Solar Expert Posts: 192 ✭✭
    mike90045 wrote: »
    Each manufacturer has their own calculator.

Thanks. After more looking I figured that out. I'll go back and look at the SMA again. Thanks Mike.
  • solarix
    solarix Solar Expert Posts: 713 ✭✭

SMA recently updated their string calculator. Now its a "design tool".
    I want the old one back - Anyone know where to find the old one?
    The new one leaves out a lot of detail and doesn't allow you to print out the string results in detail. Won't even allow you to print out the on screen results.
    One more reason to design in a distributed system and eliminate all the string size hassles.
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    solarix wrote: »
    SMA recently updated their string calculator. Now its a "design tool".
    I want the old one back - Anyone know where to find the old one?
    The new one leaves out a lot of detail and doesn't allow you to print out the string results in detail. Won't even allow you to print out the on screen results.
    One more reason to design in a distributed system and eliminate all the string size hassles.
    I use the Sunny Design tool frequently and I find it quite satisfactory. What problems do you have with it?
  • solarix

My AHJ requires documentation of the string size. The SMA design tool shows the design results with string Voc etc. (doesn't show the options though of alternate string sizes like the old one did) but when you go to print it, you get a whole different page without any string details. Can't even do a screen shot. I talked to SMA tech support about it (and I'm in the SunnyPro club) and got a sorry, too bad answer.
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭
    Can't even do a screen shot.

If you can display it in a web browser, you can always make a screen capture

snagit is a great tool for this
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    My AHJ requires documentation of the string size.
    What documentation will they accept if you do all the calc's by hand?
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

ALT-PrtScrn will capture the active window, in windows, paste into any graphic editor or excel
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• solarix
    ggunn wrote: »
    What documentation will they accept if you do all the calc's by hand?

I'm a degreed engineer, but because I don't have a PE, they require proof from manufacturer. Legal liability mindset is behind this. Hey, why don't they require the coal industry to prove they are not causing global warming?