Morningstar TS-45

I am still researching a solar charging system for my motor home and starting the purchasing process at the same time. (Bought #4 wire for combiner thru controller to batteries & some misc connectors, etc.) I want to start with two 130 watt panels or three 110 watt or 100 watt panels (depending on price) with the ability to add on later.
I think I want to go with a PWM controller. Does the TS-45 use PWM technology?
Any recommendations on what and where to buy PV panels would also be appreciated. I would like as much wattage for the lowest price (who doesn't) while staying at three or less panels.
Thanks in advance.
Bill

Comments

• crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Morningstar TS-45

Bill,

The Morningstar TriStar TS-45 is indeed a PWM controller. It does not included DC-to-DC down conversion nor MPPT features, and the nominal PV array voltage should match that of the battery bank. For example, three or four Kyocera KC-130 modules (Vmp = 17.6 V) wired in parallel would be a good match for the TS-45 and a nominal "12 V" battery bank.

This site's sponsor, NAWS, has competitive prices on PV gear. See: http://store.solar-electric.com/

HTH,
    Jim / crewzer
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Re: Morningstar TS-45

Thanks for the reply, Jim. I was planning on wiring 2 or 3 12 volt panels in parallel. I have 4 Interstate U2200 batteries in series/parallel with an auto start 8kw genny. But I want to boondock and keep the generator noise to a minimum.
    I will likely buy the controller from this site's sponsor and I would prefer to buy the panels there as well, but I have found a better deal at dmsolar's website.