Samsung Refrigerator

silvertop
silvertop Solar Expert Posts: 155 ✭✭✭✭✭
I remember reading on this forum, someone saying that every time they unplugged and replugged their refrigerator, that it would automatically go into the defrost cycle. I am considering purchasing the Samsung RF197ACPN French door (17.8 sq. ft.) but have a concern of this happening. Since our array is smaller, should we get cloudy weather in the winter, we would have to put the fridge back on grid, and hate to play games with the defrost cycle. Anyone have an opinion or experience with this fridge and this particular issue? From what I've researched, this seems to be one of the most efficient short of going DC or propane. My wife:D WANTS this particular fridge, so DC/propane styles aren't possible. This unit runs on 445 KW per year.

Thanks.

Comments

• petertearai
    petertearai Solar Expert Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Samsung Refrigerator

I have a samsung .Not that model.
    My set up is off grid mainly weekend, when I arrive I turn on the fridge freezer and it will run for an hour or so to get down to temp.Then cycles on an off as you would expect.Mine is rated 339kw per year.I have tested it over 24 hours and it used .9 kwh, so the 339 kw per year would seem to be a good assessment.
    Not sure why it would want to do a defrost on start up.
    The spec label on the unit says it draws 100 watts on run and 130 watts on defrost.
    I suppose a test of amps during a start up period would give some indication.
    Unfortunately I will not be at the holiday home for some weeks to check it for you.
    All the best with the Samsung, I am happy with mine,The build quality is not as good as some but value for money overall is good.
    Regards
    peter
    2225 wattts pv . Outback 2kw  fxr pure sine inverter . fm80 charge controller . Mate 3. victron battery monitor . 24 volts  in 2 volt Shoto lead carbon extreme batterys. off grid  holiday home 
  • silvertop
    silvertop Solar Expert Posts: 155 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the info.

We don't have the specs on this, but hope it's close to what yours is. I like the idea of keeping the run watts down around 100 or so. I am planning to purchase online soon.
  • PhilS
    PhilS Solar Expert Posts: 370 ✭✭✭
    silvertop wrote: »
    I remember reading on this forum, someone saying that every time they unplugged and replugged their refrigerator, that it would automatically go into the defrost cycle. I am considering purchasing the Samsung RF197ACPN French door (17.8 sq. ft.) but have a concern of this happening. Since our array is smaller, should we get cloudy weather in the winter, we would have to put the fridge back on grid, and hate to play games with the defrost cycle. Anyone have an opinion or experience with this fridge and this particular issue? From what I've researched, this seems to be one of the most efficient short of going DC or propane. My wife:D WANTS this particular fridge, so DC/propane styles aren't possible. This unit runs on 445 KW per year.

Thanks.

You may have seen my posts regarding our Sears fridge that goes into 'defrost' mode whenever power is "first" applied.

I posted this in regard to the inverter that powers it. IF I allow the inverter to go into 'search', when the fridge is cool and the compressor stops, the inverter goes into 'search' as it should. When the fridge would normally start, it doesn't because of how the electronics are configured (my educated guess -- the fridge doesn't realize it has power). It will wait until the inverter turns on (comes out of 'search') and will then act as if it's just been plugged in, and goes into a defrost cycle.

So... fridge stops running (normal), but doesn't start running again until I switch on a light, then the fridge starts defrosting. Then runs normal until it's cool enough, at which time it stops and waits, and the inverter goes into 'search', and then the cycle starts over again.

This was easy to get around... that inverter is programmed to always be 'on' rather than go into 'search'. Fridge operates normally. Yeah, the inverter uses a little more power but it doesn't seem like that big of a deal.

Other brands may act differently but as long as you understand the potential situation you can plan accordingly.

Unplugging and plugging back in would send my fridge into that defrost cycle. If your fridge acts the same way, then when you moved the plug to grid it'd start the defrost cycle. Back to inverter, defrost cycle again. It's not a HUGE problem, just something to realize and understand.

Phil
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    PhilS wrote: »
    Unplugging and plugging back in would send my fridge into the defrost cycle. It's not a HUGE problem, just something to realize and understand.

You're far more accepting of such things than I, it would bug the heck out of me. :cry:
  • snuffy
    snuffy Solar Expert Posts: 72 ✭✭✭✭
    silvertop wrote: »

Thanks.

Just bought the wife an LG refrigerator. 25 cu/ft, French door, bottom freezer, that is supposed to use 416KWH a year. 2 days of testing with temps ranging from the low 90's to high 70's in the house it used 1.34 KWH on the Kill-a-watt meter each day. A bit less usage than the old Kenmore 16 cu/ft that was just a refrigerator with no freezer.