Battery-powered LEDs wired for 12vdc

Options
SeanF
SeanF Registered Users Posts: 6
Hello-

I recently had to return my 12vdc LED lights due to a recall...so I had to scramble for lighting. As a temporary measure we bought Garrity brand LED touch lights, which are powered by 4 AA batteries. Using a digital voltmeter it turns out that the light is using about 5 volts from the batteries.

Radio shack sells a voltage regulator that uses up to 35vdc input and outputs 5vdc. Using my marginal soldering skills, the regulator was attached to the +/- wires that normally carry the AA battery output. Works great so far.

They've only been in service for a week, so I can't comment on the longevity of the setup. My suspicion is that the on/off push mechanism of the Chinese-made light is the weak link...but I could be wrong!

Anyway, just wanted to share. Hope this helps!

Sean

Comments

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Battery-powered LEDs wired for 12vdc

Sean, do you have more details on the 12 v LED lights? ie brand , format ( MR 16?) etc?
    thanks,
    Eric

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • SeanF
    Options

Sure, they were 3- and 6-LED lights, manufactured by Plan 9.
    More info on the recall: http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml07/07258.html

HTH
    Sean
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

You can get twice as much light probably by just placing the two LED battery lights in series. Each will drop 6 volts vs the regulator dropping 1/2 the voltage (and costing you 50% power loss).

In any case, make sure you have a reasonable fuse (~1 amp?) in series with you wiring--just in case.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options

Something else you may look at - - Wal-Mart has, or at least did have here in Canada, clear LED replacement bulbs, for automotive #1156. Has 9 LEDs in it and I find it great. Designed for direct use on 12 volts. Directional light output.
    Forget the current draw, 100 ma rings a bell. That would be 1/10 amp. Might also find them at other auto supply outlets.
    Wayne
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Wire 2 in series with 1 regulator. Each regulator is a waste of power (as pointed out before)
    You might get away with 3 in series, with some reduced light output & no regulator needed.

And watch out, if lights are on, when recharging, you have over 14V in the system then.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• SeanF
    Options

Cool stuff...thank you all for the feedback.