Mixing Charge Controllers

firefly
firefly Solar Expert Posts: 66 ✭✭
Can you mix charge controllers, as long as they are on separate arrays? My first thought is no, but I am not sure. The system is 2 Outback inverters, Hub and Mate, 24 volt battery bank. Right now the charge controllers are Blue Sky. Would like to replace one Blue Sky with an Outback MX60. This person can only afford one at this time.

Comments

• The Only Sarge
    The Only Sarge Solar Expert Posts: 164 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: Mixing Charge Controllers

Sure. I have a Morningstar on one array and a Xantrex on another. Both to the same battery bank. Absolutely no issues whatsoever.
  • SCharles
    SCharles Solar Expert Posts: 123 ✭✭

I've gradually added controllers to where I have two MX60s and two FM60s all charging the same bank....
  • snuffy
    snuffy Solar Expert Posts: 72 ✭✭✭✭

I haven't used 2 solar charge controllers but have used solar and the Prosine inverter charger at the same time to charge my AGM bank when they were predicting heavy nasty storms. Storms often knock the grid out here so I wanted to get as full charge on my bank as soon I could before the storms hit. Maybe I ain't supposed to but I did and it worked just fine as far as I can tell.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    snuffy wrote: »
    I haven't used 2 solar charge controllers but have used solar and the Prosine inverter charger at the same time to charge my AGM bank when they were predicting heavy nasty storms. Storms often knock the grid out here so I wanted to get as full charge on my bank as soon I could before the storms hit. Maybe I ain't supposed to but I did and it worked just fine as far as I can tell.

Not a problem.
    Batteries do not care how many charge sources they're attached to. If all chargers are properly regulated they'll get along fine, whether solar or grid powered. If they have different set points, the lower Voltage one will shut down first while the higher Voltage continues to charge.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭

Me too, me too:p
    Have Morningstar Sunsaver MPPT supplied from micro hydro, and Outback MX-60 on PV, both supplying the same battery bank for about 3 years now. Only problem I've run into is that at times, the hydro is outputting the max the Sunsaver can handle (15 amp) and it has a brain fart and locks up in a safe mode. Hydro is usually dumping around 12 or so amps into the battery (through the MPPT), but when the MMPT does a sweep, the turbine revs up momentarily, then when the load comes back on, the amps shoot way up for part of a second. Have a TriStar MPPT 60 on order, so that should fix that. The hydro is also reaching for the max voltage the Sunsaver can handle. No load 55 volts, Sunsaver max 65 volts. Didn't start out that way, but with improvements in efficiency, the output has gone up.
    The Sunsaver normally locks on at 30 volts and 6 amps from the hydro, and at night, it's common to see 12.9 battery volts, with 12.9 amps delivered from the Sunsaver to the batteries. Very nearly 4 Kwh/day from just the hydro alone! That's a whole 50 cents worth of electricity! :p But seriously, gotta love it! I was truly handed a great gift when I got this property and I appreciate it every day!
  • 2manytoyz
    2manytoyz Solar Expert Posts: 373 ✭✭✭

I'm using three Morningstar charge controllers, each has their own set of solar panels. The output of each controller is tied to the battery bank bus bars.

Morningstar said there was no issue running their controllers in parallel, and I can report they work fine in parallel.

One is a Sunlight 10L model, the other two are Prostar 30M models.

I've connected relays to the output of the 10L, allowing it to operate all my outdoor lighting at night. One relay operates the 12V LED pathway lighting, the other relay operates a 400W MSW inverter - connected to CFL carriage lights on each side of my garage exterior.