Sunpower 230 solar panel

Folks,

New guy here and I'm taking the leap soon. I have a bid for a 24 panel SunPower SPR-230-WHT-U panels. Are there any issues with SunPower? I did a search and alos spent an hour looking but didn't find anything concrete about these guys.

With my usage this set up should provide a near zero utility bill (grid tie system).

TIA
Greg
BAkersfield, Ca.

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Sunpower 230 solar panel

if you are utilizing sun power all the way there's no problem, but if you are piecing stuff together watch out that all of the stuff you get is for positive grounding for sun power pvs require a positive ground to operate correctly. failure to do this will result in a huge loss of power. other than this i have not heard anything negative that i recall about them.

ps-watch that none of your antennas windup shading the pvs.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Thanks Niel,

Just making sure I'm not buying a dog. Very little if any shade from the antennas. If you do a look up on QRZ you can see the front (south facing) of the house and the antennas. I specifically wanted to make sure I wasn't in the bird poop zone(s).

The SunPower was recommended to keep the footprint down, these are smaller than the "recommended" SolarWorld panels. I can fit them all in one roof section rather that splitting them between south facing areas.

Thanks,
    Greg
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

yes, they have a unique design to them giving them a higher efficiency and thus a smaller size. it was that design that caused the need for the positive grounding.
  • SolarLurker
    SolarLurker Solar Expert Posts: 122 ✭✭

Sunpower makes a great product, we have a both a sunpower system and a system with kyrocea panels and sma inverters. Adjusted for the system size differences, the sunpower outperforms the none sunpower system.