Spire Solar Equipment

I've heard nothing but negatives regarding Spires equipment line. Poorly designed with poor performance and always needing service. I've been told to avoid them unless you like down time. Anyone have any eperience with Spire?

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,433 admin
    Re: Spire Solar Equipment

Understand that I am not a fan of small wind turbines...

At this point, do not even bother with any Vertical Axis Wind turbines. They are inefficient and, from what I have read so far, not mechanically sound.

Here is a two year old thread about Windspire (Mariah):

Windspire Questions

Here is a energy blog with Mariah customer comments that are less than a year old--sounds like the same old VAWT problems... Units tearing themselves apart, failed inverters, no parts to repair or even finish construction.

Again, to not put a big negative spin on small winds:

Small windpower a scam ? Survey says SO
    Truth About Skystream & SWWP

If you can--do conservation first--Almost any and all conservation (insulation, more insulation, energy star appliances, replacing heating/AC systems with higher efficiency units, new heat pump water heaters, using laptop instead of desktop computers, turning stuff off with a external switch when not in use, etc.) will be an better "investment".

If you have the sun, solar PV system is going to offer less expensive and more reliable power (on grid or off grid)....

But, generating your own power will not be cheap... Grid Tied solar--you can come pretty close to breaking even or even saving money (depending on your local power costs).

Off Grid power is going to cost ~$1.00 to $2.00+ per kWH (about 10x grid power costs for most people). It only makes sense if you have no grid power at your home.

If you are still interested in wind power--Mount a Horizontal Axis Turbine at least 60' in the air, in an area with "flagging trees" (an area that is usually "uncomfortably windy" to live), and plan on service costs (Crane, Lift, tilt down) for the turbine.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset