Ways To Increase Your Solar Knowledge To Become Smart Like The Moderators Here?

Options
rss2q
rss2q Solar Expert Posts: 75 ✭✭✭✭
:D I'm curious about what methods some of the moderators around here like, BB (bill), Cariboocoot, niel, and others used to become so darn smart at solar related content/details?

Do you guys have any eBook suggestions or other suggestions for one trying to increase their solar knowledge?

I know a large portion about the basic fundamentals about solar energy and building solar power systems, but not anywhere close to the level as some of these moderators here at Wind & Sun.

Solar energy does not relate to my degree (computer engineering and minor in computer science) I'm seeking, but it's become something I enjoy learning more about and being able to help others with their solar projects.

I'd like to find an easy to follow, down to earth, introduction to solar book to read on my spare time. Videos are great too :D

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: Ways To Increase Your Solar Knowledge To Become Smart Like The Moderators Here?

Me, pretty much learned solar here.

This thread has links to many random solar related projects and other sources of information:

Working Thread for Solar Beginner Post/FAQ

And start helping others by answering their questions (and making a few mistakes along the way).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Ways To Increase Your Solar Knowledge To Become Smart Like The Moderators Here?

This forum is a course on solar in itself. If you take the time to read the FAQ section first, then go off on a search for various topics as they come up in the FAQ's (use the Google site:windsun.com method) you'll probably get a better education than you would from any printed book. The data gets old fast in this field as new products come out quite often.

As for me ... You know that joke about how do you get a garden looking so good? You start about 600 years ago. In this case about 40 years ago when the new transistors were made of Germanium and most things ran off what you'd call vacuum tubes. It helps if you pay attention too. Solar is new to everyone: Selenium cells aren't used anymore, are they? :p
  • john p
    john p Solar Expert Posts: 814 ✭✭✭
    Options

Ya have to eat ya spinach. Then you be smart like mods.:cool:
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    As for me ... You know that joke about how do you get a garden looking so good? You start about 600 years ago. In this case about 40 years ago when the new transistors were made of Germanium and most things ran off what you'd call vacuum tubes. It helps if you pay attention too. Solar is new to everyone: Selenium cells aren't used anymore, are they? :p

Hahaha Sounds sooo familiar. Looks like we've more or less traveled the same path, just that sometimes it seems you're gifted with more patience than I:p
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

aw shucks.:blush::p
    i have an old degree in electronics which helped allot. crewzer also had one. the amount of knowledge of electronics bill, tony, and marc have i am not that certain of, but they aren't dumb when it comes to electronics imho. dabbling with it adds to the knowledge through experience, plus we have quite a few engineers in solar products that also read and post on this forum. experience gets added to when so many tell of their experiences and thus furthers the knowledge base here.

you would be surprised to know we aren't all that as we are still learning too.:roll: