Airtap - any users here?

autoxsteve
autoxsteve Solar Expert Posts: 114 ✭✭✭✭
I am researching the Airtap retrofit kit.

Does anyone on this forum use this? I am looking for user feedback.

Comments

• n3qik
    n3qik Solar Expert Posts: 741 ✭✭
    Re: Airtap - any users here?

Looked at them also. My concern is the coil is not a double wall. This means the freon will leak into the water.
  • autoxsteve

I thought that also. Do the other models (Nyle and the hybrid units) all have dual walled condensers in the tank? I suspect not as well....
  • n3qik
    n3qik Solar Expert Posts: 741 ✭✭

From the Niel website:
  • halfcrazy
    halfcrazy Solar Expert Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

I installed a Nyle therm Geyser in my Mom's old damp basement at her old farmhouse. It works very well and has dried the basement up a lot and gives them more hot water than they need. I would highly recommend it to anyone with a higher humidity level.
  • autoxsteve

I bought the Airtap A7 and it arrived this past Wed, Jul 13. I finished install yesterday and have one leak to fix (it is extremely slow) and I will do that today.

I'll post a longer writeup with pics in the next few days. It appears to work as advertised.... Largest challenge was sealing the leaks. Inserting the condenser into the tank was not as bad as I thought it was going to be.....

More to come.
  • raydias
    raydias Solar Expert Posts: 68 ✭✭✭✭

can we get links to purchase these units. So far i get the run around and have been told to go through a Distributor who wants to do the installation.

thanks
  • autoxsteve

I bought the unit I have from The Upgreen Store.... Free shipping.
  • raydias
    raydias Solar Expert Posts: 68 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks Steve.

It will be interesting to see how this performs for you.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

can you guys explain what this airtap is without my needing to research it? just curious.
  • autoxsteve

It is a retrofit 'hybrid' water heater kit. It is a heat pump that can be added to existing electric or gas water heaters.

This is basically what is added to create the GE hybrid (and other models).

This unit comes with all of the components to install it into a water heater.

The unit is a heat pump (basically an air conditioner) and you insert the condenser into the water tank. The compressor, evaporator and remaining controls sit on top of the unit.
  • niel

ok, so what is it air to air, air to water, or water to water? i realize it won't be direct with any of the exchanges, but i'm thinking i could possibly use something like that down the road in a water to water arrangement.
  • Slappy
    Slappy Solar Expert Posts: 251 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

neil..here is the company that make them http://www.airgenerate.com/

and here is University of Illinois used AirTap heat pump water heater for heating water in Solar Decathlon http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlH-KcSjyng hope this helps
  • Slappy
    Slappy Solar Expert Posts: 251 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

and here is a install video..... http://www.airgenerate.com/installation_demo.php
  • niel

alright, it's an air to water arrangement and my basement is always cool during the summer, but in winter it is downright cold down there and i don't think the airtap would run effectively in that environment, climatically speaking, for me.
  • autoxsteve

Result of first 'typical' summer day: I produced 7kWh more thjan I consumed and that included running the dishwasher. Last week I was using about 7 to 10 kWh more than I produced. Electric water heaters are energy hogs!

Fyi, Neil, my water heater is in the garage whose doors face west so there is plenty of heat there in the evening when the most hot water is used (showers)
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the anode link ! I have been looking for this for quite some time for a solar water tank retro.

http://www.airgenerate.com/superanode.php
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• autoxsteve

They aren't selling the super anodes yet. They told me that this fall they should be offering them....

Just an update, I have spun off about 12 kWh in the past week... That's included lots of cooking and laundry (electric over and dryer) as well as a couple of drains of the hot water heater (replace cold inlet gate valve with ball valve)...
  • Dave Angelini

We "spin off" as you say about 50KWH a week running a heat pump. I have seen as high as 80KWH in a hot stretch! It is amusing to me as we use on average less than 10KWH to run the household for a week.

Thanks for the info on the anode rod. I may just use a flexible one for now and hope that the elegant solution here gets to market !

• XRinger
    XRinger Solar Expert Posts: 529 ✭✭✭

I found A7 Airtap units on Ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/120832618149
    They are also listed on the Lowes website, but for a lot more moola..

I've decided to buy one from Ebay, and give it a try..

Since I don't have any well insulated hotwater storage (oil heat), I'm thinking of buying a new 50 gal tank from Lowes, to use with the A7..
    http://www.lowes.com/pd_140452-135-E2F50HD045V_0__?Ntt=e2f50hd045v&productId=1015941&rpp=32

The total cost would be about 1/2 of buying one of the new Hybrid HP hotwater heaters..

Comments or suggestions are welcome. :)

Cheers,
    Rich
  • Dave Angelini

The ebay unit is certainly priced to roll dice on! Even a complete do it your self drain back solar hot water system for pumps, copper, D-tank, and a contoller is going to be near 1.5K. I say do it unless you have a perfect application (and the skill you have) for solar hot water, then I would cost it out.

• XRinger

We had solar hotwater on the roof many years ago. But these days, my wife won't allow any kind of panels on the roof..
    (All my PV stuff is out in the backyard, in poor locations)..

I think the price is pretty good. Lowes has it listed for 714+MA sales tax..
    http://www.lowes.com/pd_363103-31169-AIRTAP+A7_4294856709__?productId=3482047&Ns=p_product_price|0

We are currently using the oil burner to heat our hotwater. The cost is about $2 a day. (1/2 hour run on timer).
    Plus, we have no clue what oil prices are going to be next winter. I guess it depends on what happens in Washington this November.

I wonder if this A7 heat pump will run on MSW or will I need to repair my sine wave inverter..?.

Got to run, lightning storm is here.

Cheers,
    Rich
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭

went to the airtap site http://www.airgenerate.com/products/hybrid and the A7 page is missing. or on this one too http://www.airgenerate.com/retrofit.php
  • XRinger

P1000711.jpg

Got the AirTap A7 installed and it seems to be working ok..
    http://ecorenovator.org/forum/geothermal-heat-pumps/2286-a7-airtap-install-ashp-hot-water-heater-8.html#post23434

Edit:
    It's been in for almost two full days.. We are getting all the hot water we can use (two old folks) and the cost seems to be 1 to 2 kWh per day.

In the winter, it's going to be higher, but until it reaches 12.25 kWh a day ($2), we won't go back to burning oil. (and who knows what oil will cost this winter)?
    Actually at 600w, it would have to run 20 hours a day to hit 12.25 kWh..
  • rollandelliott
    rollandelliott Solar Expert Posts: 834 ✭✭

thanks for the ebay link I'll probably get one at that price. My local lowes has a clearance heat pump water heater for $1000. doesn't look that hard to install.
  • XRinger

Be sure to read my post about the A7 here: http://ecorenovator.org/forum/geothermal-heat-pumps/2286-a7-airtap-install-ashp-hot-water-heater-10.html#post23524

The Lowes price of $1,000 might not be so bad, if you local area had rebates from the power company or the state..
    We had a good deal here. NStar power would pick up $1,000 of the cost.. But there are strings.. (labor of approved installer).
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Wow, those are some interesting prices... In our region (California), we have to get low NOx natural gas water heaters (basically a catalytic combustion burner) which run in the $600-$700 range at the local big box hardware store (50 gallon, 12 year live).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • XRinger

People who have cheap natural gas, don't need to worry about making hotwater.. :p

I wanted to get off the oil burner ($2 per day for hot water).
    Right now, we are paying around 20 cents per day.. Better than I expected.
    BUT, I'll bet that gas water heating for two old folks is less than 5 cents a day..
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Guessing for family of 4, about $20 per month... One kid will empty a 50 gallon full water heater (set at shower temperature) every night. With a low flow shower head. Using natural gas.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset