New to solar have question on distance from panels

hamr49
hamr49 Registered Users Posts: 5
Hello,
I have a 130 watt, 17.5V 7.43A, panel, 12volt system, with a 30 amp charge controller.
I would like to locate the panel, and storage batteries, 125 feet from my home,
in a storage shed
Is it possible to invert the current, at the shed, and send the inverted power
into my home? If so how do i calculate the wire size i will need?

Thanks!!

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: New to solar have question on distance from panels

Welcome to the forum.

The answers are "yes" and "Voltage drop calculator": www.solar-guppy.com/forum/download/voltage_drop_calculator.zip :D

Now the thing is you have only one panel (Kyocera from the looks of the specs). If you had more you could have a high Voltage array, send that to the house, then through the charge controller to the batteries. The reason being the higher Voltages don't lose as much power over distance. In this case, however, the highest Voltage available would be the 120 VAC.

Just be sure the inverter is out of the weather; they do not like to get wet.
    And to satisfy the nit-pickers: make sure all wiring is done to code. In other words, you're going to be running 120 VAC for 125 feet outside. Ordinary household wire isn't suitable for exposure, so it will either have to be inside conduit or else use a wire rated for exposure. In case you didn't already know that.

30 Amp controller, eh? Lots of room for expansion there from one panel. :p
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

What size inverter/load will you be using?

Inverters tend to waste power if running without load. Take a look at a MorningStar 300 watt TSW 12 volt inverter. It has both "search mode" (will turn on once a second or so, looking for >6 watts of AC loads--then turn on. It also has a 12 volt remote on/off input that you could hook up to a remote control so you can only turn on the inverter when you need the power).

-Bill

Forgot to add, here is a generic on-line voltage drop calculator. Assume 600 peak watts at 115 volts and 3% maximum drop:
    • 600 watts / 115 volts = 5.2 amps
    • 115v * 3% = 3.45 volt drop max
    • 150 foot of wire, 5.2 amps, 3.5 volt max drop => 12 awg @ 3.0 volt drop
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • hamr49
    hamr49 Registered Users Posts: 5

Thanks for the help!!