small breakout panel?

bmet
bmet Solar Expert Posts: 630 ✭✭
What would anyone suggest for a small-scale breakout panel? I'd like to be able to add connections for future upgrades(DC lighting, vent fan) and I don't look forward to adding ring after ring terminal to my battery posts. Thank You.

Comments

• icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: small breakout panel?

I'm not sure what you are describing as a break out panel. If you buy a Square D QO series panel, you can get them in a number of breaker spaces and amp ratings. QO breakers are DC rated to 48 vdc. Then you can use one fuse at the battery, one run to the lug in the panel, then branch circuits as needed.

Is that wht you have in mind?

Tony

PS They are available at most big box stores.

T
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

The other is Fuse arrays (from Marine stores if you want higher quality stuff) and bus bars (for return connections) is much more cost effective.

Blue Sea (expensive)
    Prime Products (not expensive)

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

You might also look at the "RigRunner" products here:
    http://www.westmountainradio.com/content.php?page=rigrunner

This system uses ATC/ATO fuses, and is primarily for 12 VDC, altho, the fuses may be rated for 24 VDC.

Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • bmet

Thank you for the reference. I went to Home Depot and Lowes, all of the SquareD breakers there are AC. Didn't see anything for DC. I want to have a panel which I can access without having to disconnect the battery to add another circuit. It would also make things easier for future upgrades.
    icarus wrote: »
    I'm not sure what you are describing as a break out panel. If you buy a Square D QO series panel, you can get them in a number of breaker spaces and amp ratings. QO breakers are DC rated to 48 vdc. Then you can use one fuse at the battery, one run to the lug in the panel, then branch circuits as needed.

Is that wht you have in mind?

Tony

PS They are available at most big box stores.

T
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

Look carefully at the Square D QO breakers. It is possible that home depot is now only carrying the home owners line of cheaper breakers. QO are DC rated to 48 vdc

http://ecatalog.squared.com/pubs/Circuit%20Protection/Miniature%20Circuit%20Breakers/QO-QOB%20Circuit%20Breakers/0730CT9801R108.pdf

The home line series of Square D have an aluminum buss rather than the better tin buss. QO s run ~ $8

Tony

PS. find a wholesale electrical house who stocks Square D. Most will sell over the road if you walk in and act like you know what you are doing,, "I need a SD 4 space load center and 3 Q0 breakers please"
  • 2manytoyz
    2manytoyz Solar Expert Posts: 373 ✭✭✭

As mentioned already, Blue Sea makes some very nice DC fuse blocks. Multiple circuits, various configurations. I'm using one of these also.

For a larger setup, Iota makes a nice DC distribution panel. Many more circuits, each with a separate blade fuse, and an LED that will illuminate when the fuse blows (great for troubleshooting).

Here's details about the panel:

http://www.solarseller.com/iota_automatic_transfer_switches__iota_power_distribution_panels__inverter_load_.htm#idp_12_d_c__distribution_panel

Front, with no fuses installed.

distribpanel2.jpg

Back, ready to connect 1/4" spade terminals.

distribpanel1.jpg
  • bmet

Thank you for the reference. Those look compact and simple. I'd love to have a about 4 or 5 open circuits for small stuff, but I wonder if the 40 Amp total capacity is sufficient?

Vic wrote: »
    You might also look at the "RigRunner" products here:
    http://www.westmountainradio.com/content.php?page=rigrunner

This system uses ATC/ATO fuses, and is primarily for 12 VDC, altho, the fuses may be rated for 24 VDC.

Vic
  • bmet

The fuse block is kind of the picture I originally had in mind, but Blue Sea really makes it clean and sleek. Thanks for a look at both ends.
    BB. wrote: »
    The other is Fuse arrays (from Marine stores if you want higher quality stuff) and bus bars (for return connections) is much more cost effective.

Blue Sea (expensive)
    Prime Products (not expensive)

-Bill