My Off-Grid sytem- Will Batteries be ok?

Options
deacon
deacon Solar Expert Posts: 33
I will be moving off my test system in the next few weeks.
I have been running 10 80WT Sharp panels, XWMPPT60-150, and XW Xantrex 4024 with just 4 100AH Marine batteries.
It worked so well over the last 6 weeks that I took the plunge and ordered up a real system.
I will be moving my 800 watts of sharp panels, and the 200AH of Marine batteries to
An Outback FM60 and Magnum MS4024PAE that I started with. This will be my backup power to the house from the barn on a separate power line that I ran.
My new system:
24 Sun 190 watt panels.
(3) XW MPPT60-150 SCC
XW Xantrex 4024
(6) Rolls Surrette 12 CS 11P Batteries. 12V 375 AH each. (I installed them the other day).
The rest of the stuff is coming next week.
The 12 CS 11P are wired series parallel for 24V @ 1075 HRs.
Panels before derating are 4560 watt.
Do you think I am covered as far as the batteries to panel ratio?

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: My Off-Grid sytem- Will Batteries be ok?
    deacon wrote: »
    (6) Rolls Surrette 12 CS 11P Batteries. 12V 375 AH each. (I installed them the other day).
    The rest of the stuff is coming next week.
    The 12 CS 11P are wired series parallel for 24V @ 1075 HRs.
    Panels before derating are 4560 watt.
    Do you think I am covered as far as the batteries to panel ratio?

3648 w / 28v = 130A Should charge OK. Why not go to a 48V system, loose 1 charge controller, and run less amps in the wires?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• deacon
    deacon Solar Expert Posts: 33
    Options

Mike,
    I did the aim point and shoot thing. A lot more thought should have gone into the projects before the wallet came out. I am committed now. I realize that 48V is the way to go Off-grid. But now it's close to 5K too late from buying the wrong inverters.
    Also I ordered the Rolls batteries 8 weeks ago before I thought it out well. And there is no good way to get 48V from 6 Batteries.
    I agree with you and offer the same advise to beginers.
    Think, Plan, study, read, study,plan before you buy.
    I did get a great price on the panels and new SCC.
    Panels worked out to $311 apiece and XW SCC were $999 for both of them.
    Thanks
  • solorone
    solorone Solar Expert Posts: 257 ✭✭✭
    Options

I see the 48 V issue has been addressed, if possible, I would order 2 more batteries, just in case the opportunity comes along to move to 48V, this way you will have a bank of equally aged batteries. Of course you have be able to charge that size bank.

Those are great batteries, mine are 10 YO and have lead a very rough life, I may squeeze one more year out of them. I have had a cell failure, they warranted it, I did buy an extra (DRY) cell for backup, but the spare cell's connector, has to be modified with copper strapping, for various positions within the battery.