PDA

View Full Version : Windmax HY-2000 2kW Wind Turbine

keyturbocars
October 9th, 2010, 0:32 PDT
I've had a HY-2000 2kW wind turbine up for about 1 month now, and I am happy with it so far. The power output has been better than expected and better than the charts posted by the company. The quality seems very good. Time will tell how it holds up. I read about others with Windmax wind turbines that were happy, so I decided to give it a try. So far I am happy with it.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=31445&id=100000264867099&l=6c791ef013

I was embarrassed to share pictures of my system and setup, because I'm a bit of a "redneck" and my system is not professional by far. If I have trouble with the HY-2000 wind turbine then I'll plan to let you know. I know that much of the stuff coming out of China is junk. I've been burned by that fact more than once. However, I will honestly say that this seems to be well made. I've got a mechanical engineering background and so I can usually get an impression of overall build quality. Of course, time will tell how it holds up.

So far, so good.

Edward

PS. I will say this... in my opinion, it's probably best for most do-it-yourselfers to stick with the HY-1000 1kW or smaller turbines. I like the larger HY-2000 and HY-3000 units, but they are bigger, heavier and harder to set up.

MisterB
October 9th, 2010, 6:57 PDT
So far, I'm happy with my 500 watt Windmax H5. The deciding factor when I bought it was the CE approval--wind is big in Europe right now and European code is stricter in some aspects than US code. They seem to be solid well designed units. A simple basic wind turbine with no electronics in the turbine itself, just a 3 phase alternernator and all control electronics on the ground in a seperate box. My Windmax turbine replaced one of Southwest Windpowers earliest products, a Windseeker 250 which was certainly well built and produced power for around 20 years and could easily be rebuilt even after 20 years of constant use but the built in controller in the turbine never worked and I had to buy another controller for it and install it on my power panel and Southwest Windpower continues with this design folly to this day. Nothing like putting the most delicate and fragil part of the system where it will be subject to weather, constant vibration, mechanical stress and lightning. And when the controller fails, you are forced to lower the tower and remove the turbine to service it.

The Windmax turbines have a much simpler and better design.

The one thing I don't like about the Windmax is the quality of the electrical connecters on the controller box which aren't designed for the types of cable available in the US and they will never get UL approval until they put better quality connectors on the controller box with strain reliefs positioned properly for them.

keyturbocars
October 24th, 2010, 20:02 PDT
After a couple weeks of generally calm winds, we had some windy weather today. Wind was blowing around 20-30mph for a while. I was seeing peaks of 3000 watts at different times. Quite a few times it was cranking out 2500 watts. And now the winds are averaging in the teens and I'm seeing 500-1000w.

The interesting thing is that the HY-2000 wind turbine is rated at 2000 watts at 26mph. Peak output on the HY-2000 power output chart shows around 2400-2500 watts. It is a case where the HY-2000 actually puts out what they rate it for (and more). Almost surprising to me that a Chinese company is probably more honest than many American companies in the rating of their wind turbine output.

BajaGringo
October 24th, 2010, 23:09 PDT
I have a 400 watt WindMax which I bought solely to augment our system. We have 2kw in solar panels running through a pair of Xantrex MPPT controllers charging our 1200 amp hour battery bank at 24 volts. The solar panels work great down here in our part of Baja, Mexico but I wanted to try the wind turbine to see how well it could provide additional charging at night. Our part of the peninsula is very windy facing the Pacific ocean and we have been very happy with the performance so far. In fact we have purchased another turbine and will be installing it in the next couple of weeks.

One suggestion - Throw out the stock controller and buy a good rectifier and diversion controller from Coleman Air to operate your WindMax...

keyturbocars
October 25th, 2010, 13:52 PDT
I agree the controllers are often not the greatest on Chinese wind turbines. The controller on my HY-2000 is not bad. My biggest complaint would be that it came with a 62AMP fuse on the DC output circuit going to the battery bank. This does not have enough of a safety buffer to accomodate power surges. I was seeing 60AMPS at times yesterday during strong gusts! That's way too close for comfort with a 62A fuse. The last thing you want to have is the fuse burn out and inadvertently disconnect the wind turbine from the battery bank in high wind gusts!

I bypassed the 62A fuse assembly because there was no larger amp rated fuse in that size available. I just used a more appropriately sized circuit breaker.

I do have a Coleman air diversion controller that diverts power to an auxillary hot water heater in my home. If the hot water heater thermostat shuts off, then the HY-2000 controller dump loads the 3 phase AC turbine output directly to a set of heating coils that heats air.

BajaGringo
October 25th, 2010, 14:13 PDT
You might want to look at picking up a good rectifier and just buy another diversion controller for your application. I bought this one from ColemanAir and it seems to work great - the specs should fit your turbine based on what you described:

ColemanAir 150 amp, 3 phase Rectifier (http://www.colemanair.us/vp_asp/scripts/shopexd.asp?bc=no&ccode=R150)

keyturbocars
October 25th, 2010, 19:02 PDT
BajaGringo, That would be another viable option. I actually prefer the the HY-2000 controller because it is programmed with safety features that I would not get with a separate rectifier and generic diversion/dump controller. The HY-2000 controller is programmed to automatically apply electromagnetic braking when turbine RPM exceeds certain limits. This continual monitoring of turbine speed is important to me. Sure, I could manually shut down the wind turbine during a really bad windstorm, but I would not be able to react fast enough under all conditions around here. We get some powerful wind storms around here that some times come up very quickly. One year, we had a nasty wind storm that snapped off around 100 big utility poles like they were flimsy toothpicks.

I've also inspected the controller and the rectifier assembly is mounted to a nice, big aluminum heat sink. The dump load from the HY-2000 controller is a separate unit that can be mounted away from the main control unit to prevent heat from the dumpload affecting the rectifier and other circuitry. Looks to be a decent design. I can't comment on the controllers from smaller Windmax wind turbines, and they might not be as good a design.

BajaGringo
October 25th, 2010, 20:14 PDT
Sounds like they did a better job on the larger unit controllers. The one that came with mine was not much to look at...

Wally
November 30th, 2010, 14:55 PST
This thread has been inactive for a few weeks, so Iíll revive it with some info from another Windmax Turbine user here --- an HY-1000 1KW unit.

Itís an off grid --- pheasant and deer hunting camp site, I have here in central South Dakota feeding an RV (5th wheel trailer).

Last month it made it through a pretty severe stress test. We had a major high wind system go thru this area with continuous 45 to 55 mph winds and gusts to over 60 mph --- lasted over 3 days.

I have it set up as a 24 volt system and had steady output readings on the TriMetric TM-2020 in the 50 to 55 amps and at times over 60 amps at 29 volts --- that is about 1.8 KW --- almost double the rated spec. When the output gets into the over 50 amp range you can hear the blades flutter and moan as the tips bend to flex / feather and control the over speed. Normally, it is an amazingly quiet unit.

This unit has 5 blades and is rated at 1Kw at about 825 rpm with about a 28 mph wind driving it. Interpolating from their output charts --- it looks like a 1.8 Kw output from a 50 to 55 mph wind is turning the blades at over 1400 rpm, no wonder they were fluttering and moaning.

I also did not use the controller that came with this unit, but went with a Xantrex C60 set up as a diversion controller and built my own load dump unit.
The load dump unit is made up of 12 -- ten ohm -- 100 watt resistors in parallel and also a couple of 24 volt box fans controlled by a 120 F thermal switch --- works well.

This site in Central South Dakota has 15 to 20 mph winds about 3 or 4 days out of each week and works well on a 24 volt system. In a relatively lower wind speed area --- it may be better to set it up as a 12 volt system though. A 10 to 12 mph wind will turn at what looks like pretty good rpmís but not high enough to get the voltage up to the 27 volts or so to charge a 24 volt system.

Itís all a trade off though and there would be pros and cons --- and in the real world, there is very little energy available in a 10 mph wind until you get into really long blades.

MisterB
November 30th, 2010, 18:16 PST
Interesting. It looks like the owners of the 5 blade Windmax turbines are getting much better performance than with the 3 blade models. I haven't gotten nearly the performance of some of the 5 blade HY-400s I've seen on Youtube. So far my 3 blade HY5 hasn't put out anything like it's rated wattage at higher wind speeds but it's low speed performance has been totally up to spec. I was getting about a 8-10 amp average with peaks at around 16-17amps the other night when we had some winds but nothing in the 20 plus amp range. This indicates I might have some voltage drop in the wiring but I haven't found anything significant so far. One thing I've noticed is that the turbine will shift back and forth a few degrees at higher wind speeds which immediately drops the current a few amps. I didn't have this problem with my old turbine. It might mean the tail should be a bit bigger and longer. My site is not perfect and I am likely to get turbulence from one direction but this seems to be happening in winds coming from all directions. In any case, until I put up some sort of anemometer, I won't have any real data on wattage vs wind speed.

The controller works very well. At the amperages I'm getting, it is not stressed at all and I have been doing temperature readings when the turbine is really cranking and the rectifier heat sink is only a couple of degrees above ambient temperature and when the controller is dumping, the dump load is, at most, around 10 degrees above ambient temperature. The one thing I don't like is that it just starts dumping when the voltage reaches 14.1 volts and stops when it drops below this point. It would be better to have 2 adjustable trip points that would hold the contoller in dump mode until the battery voltage dropped to a settable low voltage. What happens when the batteries are charged is that the controller will dump for a few seconds and then the battery voltage will drop below 14.1v and it will charge again for a few seconds until the battery voltage reaches 14.1v and then the cycle will repeat. I have 2 solar arrays on 2 separete controllers that I have to integrate with the wind controller and this one doesn't give me much flexibility.

@Wally. You live in one of the better wind energy areas of the US. If you check out a wind energy map of the North America, anywhere in the great plains is good with some places really good. I live on a desert mesa in Northern New Mexico where wind energy is a good supplement to solar but you could never live on wind alone. I'm at around 7000' altitude with the Rocky Mountians to the east and some smaller mountains west of me. Once you get east of the Rockies, wind energy potential goes up dramatically.

keyturbocars
December 2nd, 2010, 18:20 PST
Wally,

That is some serious power out of that HY-1000! I've also seen 3.5kW surges out of my HY-2000. The HY Energy factory rates these wind turbines conservatively.

You are braver than I am... with those kind of high winds, I probably would have tried to shut down during a lull in the wind gusts. If the power output gets too high (too many amps), then the stator winding could burn out. I don't know how much factor of safety they design into these HY wind turbines. This time of year, with the colder temperatures, then turbine might be able to cool sufficiently during sustained high power output. At some point though, there will be too many amps flowing through the windings in the stator and it will get too hot and melt down (short out). Then you have a ruined turbine and a runaway turbine that is free to spin out of control with no electrical load to try to slow it. It could then throw a blade. Perhaps the blade deformation and stalling will not allow it to get that high in power output to melt down the stator. Not knowing the limits is what would make me nervous.

My perspecitve is based on having a different brand 2kW wind turbine that had the stator burn out and run out of control for about 1 hour. Talk about LOUD. Sounded like a helicopter was landing on my house. Thank God that it didn't throw a blade. Almost. There was cracking around the attaching holes on one of the fiberglass blades. That bad experience is permanently etched in my mind!

I'm now in the process of trying to figure out how to limit power output (RPM) on my wind turbine for long term safety and reliability. In my case, 2.8kW equates to around 650 RPM. That's about where I'd like to limit it.

Edward

RZ73
December 5th, 2010, 20:20 PST
Anyone know a source for parts for the Windmax turbines? I've contaced the the company in Plano, Texas for help and they are far from helpful. They told me these turbines weren't designed to be repaired, they were so cheap it's better to just replace them and when pushed them fo more info they hung up on me. The guy I talked to was just rude!

All I really need is a big rubber bushing that is used on the tail. I'm about to put this thing on a 38ft tower but need to replace the rubber bushing. I can't believe there are "no parts" available.

R.Z.

keyturbocars
December 6th, 2010, 13:16 PST
RZ, Based on what you wrote, it sounds like you've got a 1kW V10 or 2kW V20 wind turbine with tail furling.

I had the same type turbine as the V20, but I bought it somewhere else other than Windmax. In any case, it's the same turbine design.

The rubber bump stop for my tail also disintegrated, so I cut a piece of rubber out of a small scrap radial car tire I had laying around here. I used this as my new bump stop. I'll attach a picture here.

Unfortunately, the whole turbine failed a short time later (stator burned out). You will find that it is almost impossible to get parts or help after the sale. Even if you could get another rubber bump stop, it would fail in a short time anyway because of the inferior materials that they use.

Edward

MisterB
December 6th, 2010, 18:29 PST
Anyone know a source for parts for the Windmax turbines? I've contaced the the company in Plano, Texas for help and they are far from helpful. They told me these turbines weren't designed to be repaired, they were so cheap it's better to just replace them and when pushed them fo more info they hung up on me. The guy I talked to was just rude!

All I really need is a big rubber bushing that is used on the tail. I'm about to put this thing on a 38ft tower but need to replace the rubber bushing. I can't believe there are "no parts" available.

R.Z.

It looks like the HY turbines are generally good and well made but due to this lack of support, I find it hard to recommend buying one from magnets4less. I'm a bit dispointed in the real world power output of my turbine which is turning out to be a 300 watt turbine with it's stock 3 blade rotor. In checking out the possibility of of an upgrade to a 5 blade rotor, there are none available from magnets4less but I found this company makes 5 and 7 blade upgrades with a hub adaptor specifially for Windmax turbines:

http://cgi.ebay.com/7-Wind-Turbine-Generator-Blades-and-hub-/270666160827?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f04f5dabb

http://cgi.ebay.com/Windmax-wind-turbine-hub-adapter-fit-Raptor-blades-/270663162954?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f04c81c4a

I just found these ebay listings but I knew about the raptor blades for the HY turbine from the Youtube video they put up about it and checked out the company website. I'm thinking about buying a 5 blade rotor from them but I'm not going to do it until I've seen how the turbine performs under really high wind conditions which hasn't happened so far this year. Last year at this time, there was was a winter storm that had such severe winds that after the storm cleared out, all the east-west roads were snow free because the wind had pushed the snow into huge banks on the side of the road while the north-south roads had around 8 inches of snow. This year, the weather has been unusually mild and the snowfall so far has been around 1/4".

I also looked at Missouri Wind and Solar's turbines and they are actually cheaper than the Windmax turbines and it looks like you have a lot better chance of getting replacement parts. If anyone has tried one of their turbines out and dealt with them, I would be interested in hearing about it.

@keyturbocars

I've been reading your posts with interest and have been thinking about ways to brake a 3 phase turbine in high wind conditions. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any winds so far that have given me a good high wind test and some serious motivation and my problems with my HY turbine are in the opposite extreme. My thoughts so far are that a progressively increasing load between the the 3 phase lines until the the rpm slows down enough to put a dead short between the lines would be one approach. There are all kinds of ways to do this. If you could get big enough variable resistor and gang 3 of them together and put them across the 3 phase lines, you would have tapered load that could be controlled manually. The only variable resistors that I've ever seen like that were WW2 era airplane controls and I don't think you could find anything like that on the market today. A power mosfet circuit might be a modern alternative. This is really a controller design idea. A quick and dirty trick would be to put a high current spdt switch between the controller and the dump load which could bypase the controller and force the DC output into the dump load and then put another dump load in parallel with another switch which in theory would progressively load the turbine output and slow it down in stages. If 2 stages weren't enough, another switched dump load could be added easily. High current DC switches and dump loads are easy to come by and not very expensive in comparison to even the most basic 3 phase high current equipment.

keyturbocars
December 6th, 2010, 20:45 PST
Mister B,

Those are good ideas about braking. I've got some similar ideas on ways to load down the turbine and then after the rotor has slowed down sufficiently, flip the 3 pole switch to short out the 3 phases. Right now, I have the old controller from my previous 2kW wind turbine hooked up to my HY-2000 turbine.

Even though that other turbine that failed was inferior in quality, oddly enough the controller appears to be a much better design. It's a MOSFET controller that uses PWM to dump the load. I can flip a switch on the controller to manually trigger the MOSFETs to dump the turbine output to a 4kW resistive load. Then, once the turbine slows down under the heavy load, I can short out the 3 phases. The other reason I like this MOSFET controller is because it was also programmed to pulse the 4kW load under higher wind speeds to try to keep rotor RPM under control. The circuit must have monitored the freqency of the incoming 3 phase AC and applied PWM dump at a set frequency that was to ensure safe turbine RPM. What I don't know for sure yet is if this controller's RPM limit will be too low for the HY-2000 turbine. In other words, it might try to reduce RPM too early and chop off the top end of the power curve prematurely. I'll have to wait and see what it does when we have some high winds again. We are in a seasonal lull of winds now.

I'm doing all this while I wait to see how the Midnite Classic/Clipper ends up working.

Edward

MisterB
December 13th, 2010, 18:32 PST
In looking for a definition of "yaw" this morning I found this article which has a section on dynamic braking which reinforces my idea about installing a bypass switch that would force the controller into dump mode. I like the photo of the dump resistor installation.

http://www.wordiq.com/definition/Wind_turbine

We had a windy afternoon a few days ago and I managed to get my AC/DC clamp ammeter around the dump line and measure actual dump currents which are about double the charging currents. Definitely something to think about when sizing any fuses in a wind turbine installation. I also saw the turbine slow down when the controller was dumping. Now I want to force it into dump mode and see how fast it rotates and compare it to how it rotates with the brake on at a given wind speed. This will have to wait because this is the low point in the annual solar cycle and I need everything my system puts out right now. There was no wind at all last night and my batteries hadn't reached float when I checked at 11:30am. When the wind blows at night, they reach float between 10 and 11 at low wind speeds and between 9 and 10 at moderately high wind speeds. If it is really windy, the batteries are charged when I wake up which is usually between 6 and 7. Even underperforming, this turbine is making a difference.

keyturbocars
December 13th, 2010, 21:50 PST
The controller I currently have hooked up to my HY-2000 wind turbine has exactly what you are describing MisterB. There is a small switch which manually triggers the gates on the MOSFETs to dump wind power. This is what is used to slow down the turbine manually.

The way I do it is to flip that switch to slow the turbine, wait for a moment for the turbine to actually slow down, and then flip the 3 pole switch that short circuits the 3 phases for final braking.

dagelt
December 16th, 2010, 11:27 PST
Hello keyturbocars and other HY users

I have 3, HY3000 wind turbines set up and I think the quality is very good on the HY series. I had 3 V20's set up and they are not the turbine to have for a long term investment with wind that gets over 25MPH.

I am very new at all of this but I had my 3, V20's up for about 3 months before they melted down. I had 25 to 30 MPH wind for about 48 hours and they just melted down. All the blades were still there just freewheeling and sounding like an airplane. Once the wind died down I just strapped them until I got my new HY's. I liked the controllers for the V20's and the units did not make any noise... but the quality is very poor on the turbine itself.... too many moving parts.

The HY's have been running for about 2 months and I like the overall quality of the turbine and the controllers but again I have not seen much. The 5 blades are a little noisy but it just sound like the wind is blowing all the time... some people think is sounds like a waterfall....????

You asked about the output and the max wind I have seen with them. The other day we had 32 MPH wind for around 14 hours with gust up to 42 and they seem to work very well. Again I only have a 6000 watt inverter so I was maxíing it out and the turbines were shutting down periodically because of over voltage. But overall I have been happy with the quality, functionality and the power output they are producing.

I would recommend the units on quality and the power production capability but like someone else said Tech support could use some help.

I am very interested in what you are working on with putting a load on the unit to slow it down so you then can put the manual controller brake on. Right now I just climb the tower and strap them down when I think the wind will be too strong. Please keep this part of your thread going I think it will help a lot of people.

keyturbocars
December 16th, 2010, 17:49 PST
dagelt, Sounds like your experience is almost exactly like mine. I had the same style turbine as the V20 and it melted down in 30mph winds. Mine was several months old, but it had multiple problems and it was not operational for some months. When mine went out of control, it sounded like a helicopter was landing on my house before the internals melted down to the point that it caused a lot of drag. Very poor quality! On the other hand, I have been very impressed with the quality and power production of the HY turbine. I've been running with mine for 3 months now.

Do you have any pictures of your wind turbines that you can share?

Here are some pictures of my HY-2000 setup:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=31445&id=100000264867099&l=6c791ef013

Sounds like you must have some acreage since you have 3 big turbines flying. I'd be interested in seeing your turbines and towers. If you're climbing your towers, then you must have a lattice type tower. We've got a small farm with 80 acres and I could literally build a wind farm here, but I don't plan to expand beyond my HY-2000 right now.

I'll plan to update what I come up with for controlling my HY-2000 turbine.

Edward

dagelt
December 16th, 2010, 20:01 PST
I will get some pic's this weekend posted with more information of my installation.

keyturbocars
December 16th, 2010, 21:36 PST
Sounds good. Look forward to seeing the pictures and information.

MisterB
December 21st, 2010, 18:21 PST
After almost 3 days of overcast weather with almost no sun and very little wind, the weather cleared yesterday and I had full on sun and 15-20mph winds at the same time. My batteries quickly recharged and I tricked the controller of my HY turbine into staying in dump mode by flipping the equalize switches on the solar controllers which kept the battery voltage well above 14.1 volts and the turbine braked beautifully and it took about 20-30 seconds for it to slow down enough to be able to short out the 3 phase lines. Now I need to try this in a 40-50 mph wind but it looks like forcing the controller into dump mode is the way to go to break the turbine in high wind speeds.

keyturbocars
December 21st, 2010, 22:56 PST
Sounds good MisterB.

Last time I shut down in high wind, I waited for a lull in the wind and also when the controller was dumping power (and turbine was slowing down). Then I flipped a 3 pole switch that I have wired to shut down all the way.

The HY-2000 controller dumps the 3 phase AC output, so I was planning on adding a 3 pole breaker/switch between the 3 phase input lines and the 3 phase dump lines. Then I can manually flip the 3 pole switch to bypass the controller all together and load down the turbine with the dump load to slow it. Then flip the other 3 pole switch which shorts out the turbine's 3 phase output.

Another idea I have is to wire in a 3 pole 65A contactor/relay that I picked up cheap on eBay. I'm thinking about setting up a circuit where the contactor will be wired between the 3 phase turbine lines and the 3 phase dump lines. Then I am thinking about using a DC current switch set to 60A to trip the contactor to act as a power limiter. I've seen 65A during strong surges and I'm concerned that during sustained high winds, the stator windings might oveheat and burn out. In any case, the contactor would act to brake the turbine by loading the turbine down with the dump load to slow it during high wind gusts. I'd also plan to wire in a manual switch which could energize the 48VDC contactor coil to apply the brakes before flipping the 3 pole switch that shorts out the 3 phase turbine lines.

Both ideas will effectively bypass the controller to directly dump the 3 phase turbine output to the 3 phase dump load. This way, if the HY-2000 controller ever fails, then I can still manually apply the dump load and brake the turbine before shutting down the turbine completely (shorting out 3 phases).

In my thinking, this should work. I haven't implemented it yet, so I don't know if there is some unforseen issue that might cause problems with this idea. Right now, I'm working on my battery bank (equalizing and desulfating) and doing other work on my system. We are in a calm wind period now, so I'm not in a big rush because there is not much wind to harvest this time of year. Come Spring, the winds roar and keep blowing day after day after day. I want to have everything worked out before then.

Edward

windwatts1
February 25th, 2011, 20:12 PST
Hello everyone,
I am a Windmax owner and very pleased with my turbines as well as my over all system due to my small site. I have had them in for over a year and they have not given me one problem so far. I am very impressed with the low wind production they provide compard to a car type PMA. Currently I am using the China GTI's to grid tie my turbines. I also have 1.4kw of solar GT with Enphase micro inverters
As far as me, I am an electrician from Pottstown PA.

Looking forward to sharing some info.:D

Here is a video and pictures of my site:
http://www.youtube.com/user/leamyelectricinc1?feature=mhee

NEOH
February 28th, 2011, 9:43 PST
WindWatts1,

Q1) What was the total KillowWatt-Hour production for your triple Wind Turbine design over the past 12 months ?

Q2) What was the total cost for the Wind Turbines, Mounting Poles and GT Inverters ?

RZ73
March 8th, 2011, 7:58 PST
I finally got this system up and after a week the wind generator has stopped turning. It acts like it's being electricly braked but the brake switch is in "run". I hooked it up to a OUtback GTFX3048 and up until Saturday it was doing just fine. Now I can't figure out what's wrong with it. I powered down everything and started hooking things up one by one. When the inverter comes on it also charges the batteries. When that happens the charge controller for the the Windmax comes on and sends power to brake the turbine, I'm guessing it's doing this because it sees the 58v the Outback is sending to the battery bank. Once the Outback stops charging the batteries the Windmax should start up again and with charged batteries that power should be selling back to the grid. That's how it worked till Saturday. I guess I'm gonna have to lay down my tower and check the generator itself to see if there's something mechanical going on up there. We have plenty of wind with this approaching cold front but the rotor spins very slowly. It sure would be nice if there was some tech support and parts for these things. Hy-Energy needs to find a better distributor!

btw. I just wrapped that rubber damper with black electical tape and stuck it back on and as soon as I get a Mate for the Outback I'm shutting off it's charger.

MisterB
March 8th, 2011, 8:25 PST
Sounds like a controller issue to me. The Windmax controller will put the turbine in dump mode at a fixed battery voltage. I can force my turbine into dump by flicking the equalize switch on my solar controllers--provided the batteries are charged and the sun is out.

I like the HY tubines but you're right, the US distributer is not very good. No real support or warranty.

RZ73
March 8th, 2011, 19:28 PST
Today I laid over the tower just to make sure the turbine wasn't dragging from some internal mechanical failure. It was completely disconnected from the controller. When we got it down, it was easy to spin by hand and I didn't feel any mechanical resistance. When we stood it back up.. it still won't spin. Dump load isn't the issue here cause there's no electrical connection to the controller and it's not spinning. If the thing had melted down and was free-wheeling I'd understand but for it not to spin with plenty of available wind, I'm just stumped. I've emailed that guy in Plano again but not surprisingly haven't gotten an answer.

MisterB
March 8th, 2011, 20:22 PST
If it is completely disconected from the controller, it should freewheel unless 2 of the the 3 phase lines were shorted to each other.

Do you have an ohmmeter/continuity checker? I would check the 3 phase lines for shorts. It's possible that either the turbine freewheeled and melted something or power from the inverter charger or grid somehow backfed into the tubine. I doubt this because it would have done damage elsewhere or at least popped a few circuit breakers. If it was disconnected from the controller, it must have freewheeled initially which could have easily created enough energy to cause a short somewhere, hopefully in the wire insulation and not inside the nacelle.

RZ73
March 9th, 2011, 8:25 PST
I put a meter on it again this morning and this is what I'm seeing. Between two of the phases I get momentary contunuity as it slowly turns, readings like: open, 19.38, open., 19.38. Between the other two I get constantly fluctuating continuity. Something is shorted inside the generator and with no technical support I guess this is just a total waste of money. I'd like to hear from anyone else who's had one of these things fail in short period of time. I have a point of contact in China and with enough information maybe we can get some resolution to all this. I can be contacted directly at KingAir99@hotmai.com

MisterB
March 9th, 2011, 9:08 PST
The momentary continuity as it turns is what I get on between all 3 phases. Just a breeze this morning so I put the contoller in stop and checked this as it started up again.

Sorry to hear about this. I really like the HY turbines but the support situation makes an otherwise sound turbine a quesionable purchase.

keyturbocars
March 21st, 2011, 18:37 PDT
RZ73,

Sorry to hear of your troubles. I can relate!

Just to clarify an important point...

The wind turbine you have (as shown in your picture) is NOT a HY Energy wind turbine.

That is not a HY-2000 wind turbine. It appears that you bought one of the cheaper WindMax V20 wind turbines. Those are not made by HY Energy. Those cheap V20 turbines are made by another factory (a bad one).

I had one of those junk 2kW turbines. The controller was defective from Day 1 and it hardly spun. It was like the brake was on all the time. After a LONG time, I finally got a replacement controller, and then it started to work. BUT, a short time later the turbine stator windings burned out and it spun out of control until it melted down inside and started to drag. JUNK!

Those WindMax V20 turbines are a nightmare. In comparison, the HY-2000 wind turbine has been a dream!

Edward

I finally got this system up and after a week the wind generator has stopped turning. It acts like it's being electricly braked but the brake switch is in "run". I hooked it up to a OUtback GTFX3048 and up until Saturday it was doing just fine. Now I can't figure out what's wrong with it. I powered down everything and started hooking things up one by one. When the inverter comes on it also charges the batteries. When that happens the charge controller for the the Windmax comes on and sends power to brake the turbine, I'm guessing it's doing this because it sees the 58v the Outback is sending to the battery bank. Once the Outback stops charging the batteries the Windmax should start up again and with charged batteries that power should be selling back to the grid. That's how it worked till Saturday. I guess I'm gonna have to lay down my tower and check the generator itself to see if there's something mechanical going on up there. We have plenty of wind with this approaching cold front but the rotor spins very slowly. It sure would be nice if there was some tech support and parts for these things. Hy-Energy needs to find a better distributor!

btw. I just wrapped that rubber damper with black electical tape and stuck it back on and as soon as I get a Mate for the Outback I'm shutting off it's charger.

jcgee88
March 21st, 2011, 21:15 PDT
I am a Windmax owner and very pleased with my turbines as well as my over all system due to my small site.

I noticed you have three wind turbines that appear attached
to your house over the roof.

Supposedly such attachments are not advisable...too much vibration
transmitted through to the house; and lots of turbulent airflow
coming off the roof which can make a turbine rotate out of the
air flow.

Have you observed any ill effects?

John

keyturbocars
March 23rd, 2011, 15:59 PDT
I thought I'd post a little more updated information on my experience with the HY-2000 wind turbine. I continue to be very happy with my HY-2000 turbine. I shared some of this information elsewhere, but to keep this thread more up to date for future archive searches, I decided to add some of the information here as well.

First of all, the HY-2000 wind turbine system was working well. However, the appeal of all the features of the new Midnite Classic controller made me decide to make the switch. So, I removed the original HY-2000 controller from my system entirely and I set up a new control system based on the Midnite Classic 150.

For reference sake, here's some info on the Classic:

http://www.midnitesolar.com/productPhoto.php?product_ID=256&productCatName=Charge%20Controllers&productCat_ID=21

Here's a picture of my new wind turbine control system.

http://www.key-ideas.com/Classic-Installed.jpg

Here's a close up of the big aluminum heat sink:

http://www.key-ideas.com/Heat-Sink-1.jpg

Mounted on the heat sink (from top to bottom, from R to L in pic):
1) 3 phase rectifier to convert 3 phase AC turbine output to DC.
2) 3 phase AC solid state relay to limit turbine speed & voltage by diverting turbine power to 3 phase resistor/heater box.
3) DC solid state relay to divert power to water heater when batteries are fully charged.

Right now, things are working well. Recently, we had some winds that were blowing in the 20's with gusts up to 32mph. During some of those gusts, I was seeing OVER 4400 WATTS @ 32mph! That's 1000 WATTS MORE than the most I've ever seen with the old HY-2000 controller even when winds were over 40mph.

The MPPT of the Classic 150 allows the voltage in the turbine stator to go much higher. The turbine voltage is not clamped to the battery bank voltage like on a normal system. With MPPT, as the volts increase, then the amps decrease. This results in less current flowing through the stator winds (less heating) and less chance of stator burn out. In addition, my new set up allows me to program the exact turbine voltage where I want to start applying braking. So, I can set the maximum turbine RPM. More power, more reliable, and more safety features!

Here's a screen shot of my Classic 150 when it was peaking over 3800 watts. As I mentioned, I've seen it over 4400 watts so far and I haven't even had big winds yet.

http://www.key-ideas.com/3800W.jpg

I'm real happy with the Midnite Classic controller. I'm also very happy with my HY-2000 wind turbine. HY Energy did a great job. The HY-2000 wind turbine has exceeded my expectations. For more details on my wind turbine install, you can see here: http://www.rc-trucks.org/home-wind-turbine.htm. After having this turbine up and running for so long, I can definitely recommend it to others. Just be sure that wind power is a good match for your area and your own abilities. If you don't have enough consistent wind at your location, then it doesn't matter how good the wind turbine is, because you won't get decent power without good wind. Also, if you don't want to have to tinker around with electrical or mechanical things, then you might not want to get a wind turbine.

Edward

MisterB
March 23rd, 2011, 18:08 PDT
@Keyturbocars

I'm impressed!! That's quite a heat sink, not to mention quite a setup. 68amps @ 55.8 volts going into your batteries, wow that's real power. You can run an electric heater off of this. There aren't many RE systems around that can claim this, not on the homeowner level anyway.

I'm happy with my HY turbine as well. I've seen the current peak at 40 amps before going into dump mode in one extreme wind. That comes to around 560 watts which isn't bad for a turbine rated at 400 watts. The alternators on the HY turbines really rock. A tail extension would sort out most of the stability problems I've had which only happen at a certain wind speed range. It actually holds steady in face of the wind in both low and high winds, it's just in the middle range that it waivers.

The controllers that come with the HY turbines are good in overspeed control but are just plain dumb when it comes to battery charging. A MPPT controller for wind makes a lot of sense.

windwatts1
March 23rd, 2011, 20:16 PDT
I got about $4,000.00 wrapped up in the whole wind system. My wind i would say around 60kW/ year. Not alot, no where near what solar can do but there is just something about the wind that i love. I can not go up any higher high due to where i live. I am very pleased with my system though. I have just added an HY 600 for a total of 3 WM turbines now. 1 HY 400w, 1 Hy 1000w, and 1 HY 600w all 24v.

windwatts1
March 23rd, 2011, 20:19 PDT
I have no issues with vibrations. 2 of the turbines are pole mounted on the side of my home and one is roof mounted. I am limited to height but all systems a go. My system has been in operation now for 1.5 yrs and not 1 single problem. I have alot of documentaion on my system on youtube.

BB.
March 23rd, 2011, 20:47 PDT
By the way, "60kW/ year" should read 60kWH/year... (kilo Watt * Hours).

-Bill "yea, I know..." B. :blush:

keyturbocars
March 24th, 2011, 1:08 PDT
I'm impressed!! That's quite a heat sink, not to mention quite a setup. 68amps @ 55.8 volts going into your batteries, wow that's real power. You can run an electric heater off of this. There aren't many RE systems around that can claim this, not on the homeowner level anyway.

The output of the HY-2000 wind turbine has really impressed me too. One night, when I was watching the power output peak at 4400W during different wind gusts, I was wondering how high it could go! At the time, I had my Classic programmed to start braking my wind turbine at around 110V and the winds were not as high as they can get during a good windstorm around here. I have already determined that I could run my turbine safely at 125V which should equate to around 750 RPM. So, there's a little more room for even more power to be extracted in high winds. I won't know how high until we get some strong winds over 30mph. Considering the size of the HY-2000 wind turbine, it amazes me how much power it can generate!

I haven't had my new control system running long, but so far the Classic has logged 25.9 kWh. If memory serves me right, that was mostly from 4 different days when we had some decent winds recently. We haven't even had any big wind days since I set up the new system. Biggest winds so far were in the 20's and peaking in low 30's on one occasion.

Edward

keyturbocars
March 24th, 2011, 1:13 PDT
Some more show and tell...

I'm adding some thermostatically controlled fans to my heat sink as an added factor of safety (to try to increase reliability) helping to make sure that things don't get too hot.

http://www.key-ideas.com/Dual-Fans.jpg

I mounted the snap disc thermostat on the side of the heat sink.

http://www.key-ideas.com/Heat-Sink-Thermo.jpg

I do not expect the fans to run much normally. I only expect them to run during extended high wind events, when the rectifier and solid state relays are putting out a lot of heat on an ongoing basis.

Edward

peterako
March 30th, 2011, 1:06 PDT
Hi there that is a nice setup. :D

Be careful the insulation from the generator is not by design good for higher voltage and can suddenly short/burn.
Also a higher RPM will give a higher centri. force on the blade hub fixings.

I have seen a blade braking in high wind on my setup and it was the biggest scare in my life :blush:

greetings from Greece

keyturbocars
March 31st, 2011, 0:19 PDT
Hi there that is a nice setup. :D

Be careful the insulation from the generator is not by design good for higher voltage and can suddenly short/burn.
Also a higher RPM will give a higher centri. force on the blade hub fixings.

I have seen a blade braking in high wind on my setup and it was the biggest scare in my life :blush:

greetings from Greece

I am hoping that the lower current flow in the stator windings will result in less heat and less chance for winding burn out. This higher voltage (and lower amperage) should allow the windings to run cooler. You bring up a good point though. If the peak voltage is too high, then it might be more likely to breach the winding insulation. Hopefully not! I am currently limiting my peak turbine voltage to 115V. I also use the Classic to control RPM with this peak voltage setting. I have my Classic programmed so when the voltage exceeds 115V, then the turbine is loaded down with a 3 phase resistor/heater box which slows it down. I also use this peak voltage setting to limit my max turbine RPM.

You are very right. A blade flying off would be very scary indeed! I would hate to see the damage or harm that could be caused by a turbine blade flying off at high speeds. In addition, if a blade broke in high winds (high rotor speed) then the terrible imbalance would probably shake the tower down, if things weren't shut down right away.

Thank you for your comments.

Edward

keyturbocars
March 31st, 2011, 23:33 PDT
We've had some nice winds today. Brisk and good for power, but not so strong as to worry about things being damaged.

During the past 13 hours or so, my HY-2000 with Classic 150 has logged 13.0 kwH.

The winds have been varying quite a bit throughout the day. They started off averaging around 15mph and then by late afternoon and early evening, they went up to around 25mph average. That was when the power was coming in nicely. Then the winds really dropped off tonight and right now it's around 10mph.

Yesterday was breezy, but much calmer and the turbine only put out around 6kwH.

Spring is a great time for wind power around here!

Edward

BB.
April 1st, 2011, 0:45 PDT
Cool! :cool:

I like a report that includes actual power production from a wind system--that is so few and far between.

I would be very interested reading about your monthly numbers for a year+ worth of data.

-Bill

keyturbocars
April 1st, 2011, 15:42 PDT
Hi Bill,

I'd like to keep track of my long term power production. This Spring, the power production should be good if the winds are as usual. Mid-summer will not be so great. That's where solar will come in. I'm hoping to add around 2kW solar this Summer. Fall around here can have some decent winds, and Winter is generally calm with an occasional wind storm.

I can see that the wind and solar should complement one another nicely.

Edward

MisterB
April 1st, 2011, 19:46 PDT
I can see that the wind and solar should complement one another nicely.

Edward

Indeed they do. When one goes, the other comes. I almost never have to turn on my backup generator. This winter I only had one night where power was totally down to zero. 2kw solar and 2kw wind is a good setup. My rule of thumb derived from experience is that wind watts and sun watts should be aproximately equal in a hybrid system at most latitudes. Then they fully complement each other and will be able to substite for each other as weather conditions change.

I finally got a weather station with an anemometer and got it up to test it this afternoon. Still has to be at least another 6-8 feet higher before I'm going to get decent data but I'm seeing how bad an idea it is to put a turbine too close to a rooftop today. I improvised a mount about 12' above the roof line and I can see the turbulence and the wind speed readings are going all over the place.

keyturbocars
April 1st, 2011, 21:54 PDT
I finally got a weather station with an anemometer and got it up to test it this afternoon. Still has to be at least another 6-8 feet higher before I'm going to get decent data but I'm seeing how bad an idea it is to put a turbine too close to a rooftop today. I improvised a mount about 12' above the roof line and I can see the turbulence and the wind speed readings are going all over the place.

Enjoy your weather station. I really like mine. What did you get? I had a LaCrosse weather station for about a year, but it finally died. I ended up getting a Davis Vantage Vue which was a bit more money than I wanted to spend, but I have been very happy with it.

http://www.vantagevue.com/

Excellent quality and great weather data. I like the fact that it updates the wind data around every 2 seconds, so I can catch the speed of many of the bigger gusts.

I must confess that I've become a bit of a weather junkie. :)

Edward

MisterB
April 2nd, 2011, 7:16 PDT
Enjoy your weather station. I really like mine. What did you get? I had a LaCrosse weather station for about a year, but it finally died. I ended up getting a Davis Vantage Vue which was a bit more money than I wanted to spend, but I have been very happy with it.

Excellent quality and great weather data. I like the fact that it updates the wind data around every 2 seconds, so I can catch the speed of many of the bigger gusts.

I must confess that I've become a bit of a weather junkie. :)

Edward

A LaCrosse with a PC interface. The expected life span is 1-2 years. The Davis ones are much better but one with a PC interface and software would cost me about as much as another HY400 or a new battery bank and I can't justify spending that much money on one right now. Ideally, I should put the anemometer on the tower a few feet below the turbine but the logistics of doing it are a bit daunting and it wouldn't be worth it unless I had a really good anemometer. I just expect a good idea of what wind speeds are, not 100% accurate measurment with the current setup. Here is a good run down of the issues of accurate wind speed measurment for turbines:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86evT9ETyyI

keyturbocars
April 2nd, 2011, 13:35 PDT
MisterB, That's great that it came with a PC interface. I would like one as well, but I can't justify spending the money on one. The Davis weather station is a bit spendy. I ended up investing in one, because I also rely on good weather data for farming decisions. I really like that I can see accurate on the spot wind data too. I'm looking at it right now. 22mph... 25mph... 18mph.... (averaging around 20mph overall). Another good wind power day.

Edward

MisterB
April 2nd, 2011, 16:43 PDT
It's a good wind day here as well. I've haven't been home most of the day and the turbine has been braked but the wind speed I'm reading now is around 15-20mph and the weather station records minimum and maximum values and todays maximum was 35mph. I would say that means at least 40 mph at the height of my turbine. I really like the weather station and I'm going to raise the anemometer another 6 - 8 feet soon.

I use the National weather service website--http://forecast.weather.gov/--for my main weather forcast. There is a pinpoint forecast that uses google maps on their web page and I get a weather forcast that is pin pointed at a few hundred feet from my home. Much better than what I get from the local media which comes from a town 20 miles away with a very different micro climate.

And back to the main subject of this thread, HY turbines. My turbine is doing much better than a few months ago at all wind speeds. I was expecting some mechanical "wear in" from a new turbine and with the spring winds, it is definitely getting a work out. I also got a new AC/DC clamp meter and it looks like my old meter was reading a little bit low. I am going to have to make a test circuit to verify which of the 2 meters is giving the more accurate reading but I'm pretty sure it's the new one which means that most of what I've posted about what my turbine was putting out has been a bit lower than what it was actually doing--not huge but 10-20% under. The error would be greater at low wind speeds.

keyturbocars
April 2nd, 2011, 23:03 PDT
That's good that your HY-400 is performing better now, MisterB.

Today was a great wind day over here. My Davis weather station showed that the wind started to pick up here around 3AM this morning and gradually built up speed later in the morning. It was averaging around 21-22mph throughout most of the day. Winds are starting to slow down now. It was a real, nice steady wind power day.

As of 10PM, according to my Classic 150 log, my HY-2000 has generated around 23.5 kwH over the past 19 hours.

In the past, these relatively constant Spring winds would start to annoy me. Now that I have a wind turbine, I have a different perspective when the wind blows around here. It takes something that used to be irritating, and makes it much more enjoyable. :D

Edward

mtjag
April 3rd, 2011, 16:50 PDT
Hi, I am looking at adding a wind unit to my off-grid solar system of 16 batts, 12-190 watt Evergreens and an Outback 3648 inverter. How do you like your HY-2000 and how high do you have it mounted?

keyturbocars
April 3rd, 2011, 23:08 PDT
Hi, I am looking at adding a wind unit to my off-grid solar system of 16 batts, 12-190 watt Evergreens and an Outback 3648 inverter. How do you like your HY-2000 and how high do you have it mounted?

Hello mtjag,

I like my HY-2000 wind turbine. Mine is mounted about 40 feet high which is not high enough for most locations, but works OK for me because of the prevailing wind direction and surrounding terrain.

I will say that I don't think wind is best for everyone. Solar is probably a much better choice for most people. For the small percentage of people that actually have a good location for wind and if that person is mechanically and electrically inclined and willing to tinker on their wind turbine system, then it might be something worth considering.

I think I noticed that you are in Colorado at higher elevations. Looks like it could be a mountain property. What is the surrounding terrain like on your property? Lots of trees? How much wind do you get?

If you are not 100% sure of your wind resources, then I'd recommend investing in a good weather station and keep track of the winds at your place. If you don't have winds that are at least 15-20mph (and up) somewhat regularly, then a wind turbine will not be very useful. I'd invest in the weather station first. If you end up getting a wind turbine, then you will want (if you are like me) to have a weather station with anenometer anyway to see what your wind turbine is producing in different winds. What you don't want to do is invest all the time and money on a wind turbine system only to realize that it was a bad match for you and your location!

Personally, I would buy a HY-2000 wind turbine again. HY Energy has done a very good job designing it, and I think that it is an excellent wind turbine. I was a little concerned about the controller reliability long term, but I have changed over to a Classic 150 based system on my HY-2000. Also, a few months ago I was e-mailing HY Energy with some questions, and they told me that they would be releasing new controllers for their wind turbines soon. Might be almost ready to release the new controllers right about now.

Edward

keyturbocars
April 10th, 2011, 0:43 PDT
It is breezy this evening, and I took this short video clip of my HY-2000 wind turbine. The sun was going down so the video is a bit dark, but you can at least hear the sound of the HY-2000. It makes a "swooshing" sound which is not too loud at all. When wind speeds hit around 38mph, then the blades are designed to aerodynamically twist/stall to slow the rotor, and then it gets loud.

This video clip is 1.4Mb so if you click on this link, it might take a little while for the video to load and start playing (depending on your internet connection speed). Winds were around 15-20mph during this clip.

http://www.key-ideas.com/HY-2000-Video.mpg

Edward

keyturbocars
May 6th, 2011, 23:00 PDT
Because of the change of seasons, and the fact that I live on a small farm, I've been distracted more with activities outside lately. As a result, I've not spent as much time on the forums as earlier in the winter.

I thought I'd give a brief update on my experience with my HY-2000 wind turbine. I've had it running for around 8 months now and so far so good. I am also very happy with my Midnite Classic 150 that now controls my HY-2000 wind turbine. The Classic has been doing a great job.

I have set up a 3 level of fail safe in case of a complete failure of my turbine control electronics. On the AC side of my rectifier, I can manually divert 3 phase AC power to a 3 phase heater box. On the DC side of my rectifier, I have a 4kW resistor bank load which I can maually activate. In addition, I have the typical 3 phase short circuit switch wired in place.

So, in the event of an emergency shut down, I would load down the turbine by diverting 3 phase power to the heater box. Then I would further load down the turbine with the large 4kW resistor box. Finally, after slowing down the turbine with the heavy loads, I would flip the 3 phase short circuit switch. That's the plan at least. Based on testing, it should work as long as the wiring going to the turbine head (and the stator windings themselves) are in tact. Hopefully I will NEVER need to do this. So far, the Classic has been working great. However, I still have vivid memories of runaway turbine in the past, so this time I have tried to make sure I have multiple options as a backup plan!

Speaking of planning ahead... I have never heard of a HY wind turbine blade failing, but since I have a mechanical engineering background, I am taking some precautions. The HY blades are reinforced nylon. Those that are familiar with materials know that nylon is a tough material. Glass reinforced nylon is very tough. However, UV rays can damage nylon over time. Nylon itself is not inherently the best material for resisting UV damage. I did my research and I am periodically applying a product known as 303 Aerospace Protectant. It has a very strong track record in actually preventing UV damage. My wind turbine is only on a 37 foot tower, so being a bit of an engineer/farmer/redneck, I bought a long 30' aluminum telescoping pole and added on a section of PVC pipe to get the right height. I then ran a plastic supply line up to a sprayer nozzle at the end. I modified a small pump up sprayer (such as used for spraying weed killer). Periodically, I take this monstrous sprayer out to the turbine and spray 303 Aerospace Protectant on the blades! It's quite a sight to behold. I'd take a picture and show you, but I've already got my hands full trying to balance a 30+ foot pole in the air. :D I plan to do this every couple months in the Summer as a precaution. During the winter, I plan to do a treatment in late Fall and then not worry about it until Spring, since the sun rays are not as strong during the winter months.

I like to be proactive, and I've learned that preventative maintenance is much better than making repairs later.

Better safe than sorry,

Edward

windwatts1
May 24th, 2011, 7:55 PDT
Thanks for the correction Bill

mikael
June 7th, 2011, 14:04 PDT
hello,
I'm French and new to this forum.
I bought a wind windmax HY 1000. I saw that you were happy with your wind turbine 2KW. After a few power measurements, I noticed that the production starts at 20 volts. What I do not understand is that for winds averaging 8 to 10 mph, it produces between 20 and 50 watts, which does not correspond at all with graphics manufacturer. I take these data as output battery charge controller. What do you think? Thank you for your answers.

keyturbocars
June 7th, 2011, 23:43 PDT
Hello Mikael,

Welcome to the forum.

At 8-10mph, there is very little energy in the wind for producing power. It sounds like your HY-1000 might be working normally. I think the 1000 watts rated power is at 28mph of wind.

On my HY-2000 wind turbine, 8-10mph is when it starts to produce power, but not much more than what you are getting out of your HY-1000. Then when the winds get into the teens, it starts to produce much more. When the winds hit 20mph and above, then the turbine is really producing some impressive power. That's just the nature of wind turbines. There is very little power in low wind conditions. 8-10mph is not enough wind for any wind turbine to produce much useful power.

I think that the wind turbine power curves are shown as:

POWER (watts) vs WIND SPEED (m/s)

Were you looking at the power graph and thinking that 8-10 was MPH when it is really rated in METERS/SECOND?

By the way, it has been windy around here today with winds averaging around 18-20mph. Since early morning, my HY-2000 has generated around 23 kwh and it's still going strong. Wind power is great if you're in an area which has good winds.

Edward

mikael
June 8th, 2011, 9:12 PDT
hello thank you for your reply Edward
looking at the chart at 8-10 mph in the wind turbine is planned to provide about 400W and I have about 30W
24H 8-10 mph of average production I have a 170W
I see my tour but not wind turbine production
have you done any comparisons of your wind turbine manufacturer with graphics
I thought a malfunction of the regulator load

keyturbocars
June 8th, 2011, 13:18 PDT
Mikael,

Are you referring to this graph on the Windmax site?

http://www.magnet4less.com/images/HY-1000-chart.jpg

If so, there must be an error in the "100RPM=2.24mph". There is NO way that a small wind turbine like this (not even the HY-3000) would be able to produce 400 watts of power in the 8-10mph range.

By the way, that graph is posted by Windmax which is not the manufacturer. They are the US based dealer/distributor for HY Energy. Unfortunately, it appears they have made a mistake (hopefully not purposely) in their graph. In the past, when I got information from the HY Energy factory directly, they were very professional and gave me lots of good information (which I found to be accurate).
In fact, based on the information that HY Energy factory sent me directly, my HY-2000 wind turbine actually produces MORE than the factory graphs show.

Again, I think the problem with that graph that Windmax posted on their site is the "100RPM = 2.24mph". This can not be true if it means that 8-10mph = 400 watts! Impossible for such a small wind turbine.

Edward

PS. I just realized that perhaps that "100RPM = 2.24mph" should really be "100RPM = 2.24 m/s". That would make a lot more sense. Then 8-10 m/s would be 18-22mph. 400W at those speeds for that HY-1000 wind turbine would make sense.

keyturbocars
June 8th, 2011, 14:03 PDT
Mikael,

I just went to the HY Energy website and found this graph posted by the factory for the HY-1000.

http://www.hyenergy.com.cn/upload/fckeditor/2011-04/251638051.jpg

If you want more information, the graph can be found on this page:

http://www.hyenergy.com.cn/index.aspx?menuid=12&type=productinfo&lanmuid=25&infoid=101&language=en

So, now I am convinced that the 400W is in the 8-10 m/s range. In fact, according to the graph posted on the manufacturer's website, 400W would be at around 9 m/s which is close to 20mph.

Edward

mikael
June 9th, 2011, 10:32 PDT
hello
yes I watched the graph windmax.
by the chart HY energy plant is better
thank you
I saw that the wind turbine has trouble staying in the wind, it turns right and left often and therefore lost production.
apparently I'm not alone. you have these problems or a solution?
I think the wind was turning but I am not. I hope that the winds are auton winters more stable.
HY I see that your 2000 has a good production: 23 kW in 12 hours or an average of 2KW / H
you know people who have a hyper 1000 and the results
I want to buy a hy 3000 the next year if the results are good
greetings

keyturbocars
June 9th, 2011, 15:35 PDT
Mikael,

I do not know anyone personally that has a HY-1000 wind turbine, but I have read about some people that have them and they seem to like them.

Here is someone that owns 2 of them and has some video on Youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/econewpower?feature=chclk#p/u/45/yX94m_LGGFg

Here's another video from someone else that owns a HY-1000 wind turbine: http://www.youtube.com/user/leamyvideo#p/u/0/Auyb9fzImWE

I think that last video is made by a member of this forum named windwatts1 (or something like that).

Regarding your wind turbine turning out of the wind, it sounds like you might be experiencing turbulence.

How high is your tower and what is the surrounding terrain like nearby (buildings, trees, other obstructions)?

Edward

mikael
June 11th, 2011, 14:24 PDT
hello
I need help for my wind turbine windmax HY1000, 24 V
when I cruise on a 24V battery charging wind generator does not load the front have about 20V 20W, and when I plug it on a 12V battery has low wind load well over 30W!
thank you for your reply

BB.
June 11th, 2011, 14:41 PDT
That it pretty normal... When you are charging a lower voltage battery, the generator does not have to create as much voltage as for the 24 volt bank.

You can see how another wind generator performs. Same generator on a 12 volt and 24 volt battery bank (http://www.tlgwindpower.com/videos/tlg500_main.htm).

12 Volt Battery Environment (http://www.tlgwindpower.com/tlg50012voltchart.htm)
24 Volt Battery Environment (http://www.tlgwindpower.com/tlg50024voltchart.htm)

-Bill

mikael
June 19th, 2011, 11:25 PDT
I do not understand, my wind turbine runs well: 3 mph
bulb 24V, 55W lights, but my battery does not charge: it should normally produce a few watts in the battery
it begins to load when there is: 8mph
is it normal that my wind turbine rotates at up to 8 mph empty?
is what my controller can be the cause of the problem?

BB.
June 19th, 2011, 11:46 PDT
Pretty much... I would not expect "significant" power below 8 mph for the "average" wind turbine.

Running at 12 volts will help a bit--It takes significant RPM to get a turbine to operating voltage. Doubling that operating voltage makes things "worse" for low wind operations.

Windmax power graph does not list voltage--Just power. Without knowing voltage (24/48 vdc rated)--It is not easy to figure out (from that chart) what the useful power is at XX volts and YY wind speed.

-Bill

keyturbocars
June 19th, 2011, 12:35 PDT
Mikael,

Yes, it is normal for little-no battery charging to occur below 8mph. There is very little energy to be havested in the wind at low speeds. On my larger HY-2000 wind turbine, it might begin to trickle charge the batteries around 8 or 9mph. Even so, at those low wind speeds, it is very LITTLE power. Below 8mph, it will spin and even seem to be spinning fast at times, but it is not enough to produce any useful power. That's why the only people that should even consider a wind turbine are those that live in truly good wind areas. Most people probably do not live in such places.

It sounds like your wind turbine is working normally.

Edward

mikael
June 19th, 2011, 12:46 PDT
agree
I understand that the wind turbine produces slightly below 8 mph.
but is it normal that the wind does not produce 1w below 8mph? Can it be damaged by turning the turbine without prodution?
A 350 RMP quickly turns the wind turbine, 0 watts!
thank you

BB.
June 19th, 2011, 13:07 PDT
You get bearing wear (seals, brushes, slip rings, leading edge abrasion, etc.) from rotating without generating useful power... However, you do not get any electrically related problems because of no power production (at low speed).

Where you can get problems is "no power" in high wind conditions (>8 MPH). For horizontal axis wind turbines, the RPM will quickly climb to 2-3+x faster than normal operating speed without loads.

So, you need the electrical load to prevent over speed. Typically, the turbine is "hard connected" to the battery bank and use a "diversion controller" to dump excess power to a resistor bank to prevent batteries from overcharging.

A turbine should have several methods to prevent over-speed. Blades that "stall", furling out of wind, blades that feather, mechanical brakes, etc. are all good backup for the case where you have an electrical fault (failed slip rings, failed breaker, failed windings, etc.) that can shutdown the turbine in an emergency.

-Bill

mikael
June 19th, 2011, 13:52 PDT
thank you for your help Bill
I have a very big battery 24 V 1500AH
the controller has a resistance to the excess
I was told that my battery was too high and would prevent the load with light winds

BB.
June 19th, 2011, 14:09 PDT
Your large battery bank has very little effect on the operation of the turbine...

Ideally, you are looking for 5-13% (up to 25% is OK) of battery AH rate of charge. 10% is a "good sized charger" to battery ratio:.

1,500 AH * 0.10 rate of charge * 29 volts = 4,350 Watts

For a 1,000 watt turbine, roughly a "nominally" sized battery bank would be:

1,000 watts * 1/29 volts charging * 1/0.10 rate of charge = 345 AH @ 24 volt bank

There should be no real difference between the turbine operation between a 350 AH and a 1,500 AH 24 volt battery bank...

A "small" battery bank would be:

1,000 watts * 1/29 volts charging * 1/0.25 rate of charge = 138 AH @ 24 volt bank

That small of battery bank (138 AH @ 24 volt) would be right on the edge of letting the turbine run-a-way (not enough load/capacity) to absorb surges from a 1,000 watt turbine.

However, you should review how much charging current your bank receives (solar, AC Grid, AC Generator, etc.)... A battery bank should have a minimum rate of "reliable" charging to prevent it from setting below ~75% state of charge for days/weeks/months. That will "sulfate" the battery bank and cause it it loose capacity in months or a year or two... Needing early replacement.

A 1,000 watt wind turbine, by itself, is probably insufficient to keep your battery bank "happy".

You should be looking at other charging sources capable of >2,000 watts (69 amps @ 29 volts) minimum (solar, other power sources) to ensure your bank is quickly and properly recharged.

Have you monitored the specific gravity for your bank?

-Bill

keyturbocars
June 23rd, 2011, 10:55 PDT
Thought I'd give another update on my HY-2000 wind turbine and also my Classic 150 controller. I posted this on the Midnite forum, but then I thought I'd post it here as well to add to this thread...

Having some great winds today, and my Classic 150 is working like a champ. Last night it was breezy, but nothing particularly good. Some time after midnight, the winds picked up nicely. This morning when I woke up, the wind was averaging in the low 20's, but gusting into the mid 30's. When I went down to check my Classic, I saw power peak at 4000+W for a moment in the short time I was watching. The turbo fan was running on my Classic, so I know the winds were blowing strong (FETs' were getting warm). I've only ever heard the turbo fan run one other time. My 80 gallon water heater was already at around 120F this morning. Classic showed 12.6 kwh produced over the past several hours. Supposed to be windy the rest of the day and into tonight. Should be lots of great wind power today.

I love the fact that I can go to bed and sleep well not worrying about my wind turbine now that I switched over the the Classic. In the past, with the old controller, I used to wake up at night when the wind was roaring concerned about the wind turbine. Not any more. I know that my turbine is in good hands! :)

Edward

EDIT: Winds are calming down now to the teens, and power production is tapering off. I've seen a little over 30kwh produced over the past 22 hours or so. A great wind power day here. Here's a snap shot from my Classic 150 earlier in the day during some gusty conditions. I saw over 4000W at one point when I was watching, but I captured this 3.5kW gust here.

http://www.key-ideas.com/Classic-3500W.jpg

keyturbocars
February 23rd, 2012, 17:56 PST
I thought I'd give an update on how my HY-2000 wind turbine continues to work. It's been doing great. It's been windy the past couple days, and my Classic has been working well with my HY-2000 turbine to convert the wind into electricity. A couple months ago, we had some strong winds approaching 50 mph, and I actually saw OVER 5,000 WATTS flash on my Classic 150 at different times. Actually, I was getting so close to the limit of the Classic that I decided to tune it down a bit and set my turbine braking to occur earlier (at a lower peak turbine voltage). I like more power, but I like reliability and safety better, so yesterday when the winds were blowing in the 40's, I noticed 4700W once. I think that's about as high as a power output that I will get with my current turbine braking settings.

Here are some pictures of some of the power output of my HY-2000 turbine. I never did catch it with the camera when it peaked over 5000 watts. I didn't want to stand there all day waiting for a big enough wind gust.

Here's one picture with 4299 watts.

Here's one picture of 4672 watts.

It's a little difficult to see since the LCD readout was changing quickly during gusts, but as best as I could tell, that was 4672 watts, 115.6 volts, and 84.8 amps. I wish I could have gotten a snapshot when it was over 5000 watts. Now that I've set my turbine braking to occur sooner, then I won't be seeing it get up that high again. 4700 watts is high enough out of this turbine. I can't complain. After all, this HY-2000 wind turbine is rated as a 2kW wind turbine from the factory! Getting 5kW out of a 2kW wind turbine is impressive! All that to say, I'm real happy with my HY-2000 wind turbine and my Classic 150. Great products.

lindsley
May 31st, 2012, 13:33 PDT
Hi Edward,
What power are you see around 16 mph.

I got some data for my area and its averages around 16 MPH.
I am very interested in the HY2000 but would like some real world data.

The data is at a height of 3 Meters

Thanks

niel
May 31st, 2012, 14:04 PDT
welcome to the forum.

i won't answer for him, but you should know that even if the area averages 16mph it does not mean that's what you will see as this will vary greatly even in the same area. btw they usually measure that at a much higher height of around 10 meters so 3 meters will not see as much wind. note of course that he uses a classic mppt controller on it as you most likely won't see anything near what it would get with the classic.

lindsley
May 31st, 2012, 15:16 PDT
Thank you Neil for the reply.
I will be at around 40 feet and i am at an altitude of about another 70 feet above sea level.
How does that factor into the equation.

niel
May 31st, 2012, 15:57 PDT
it helps the output, but doesn't nail down the speed the wind actually is at your location to know if you will be getting that same average wind speed. an anemometer at the location it will go will give you a better idea.

keyturbocars
May 31st, 2012, 18:15 PDT
Lindsley,

Neil is right that my Midnite Classic controller will help my HY-2000 extract more power from the wind, but my experience so far is that the Classic doesn't really dramatically boost power output until the high end of the wind range. In other words, for the wind speed range that you are describing (16 mph average), then the Classic is probably not making as big of a difference. Fortunately, we have some breezy conditions right now with the winds blowing in the teens, so I took my Davis weather station console and held it up next to my Classic to monitor power output at different wind speeds. My HY-2000 is putting out around 600 watts at 16 mph. Power output dramatically increases when winds get a little higher than that. After 20 mph, things really get going.

With that being said, tomorrow my power output might be a little different at 16 mph. Wind is a bit of a mysterious force. There are times when my weather station tells me that the wind is a certain speed, but the power output just doesn't seem to match what I'd expect. Sometimes it's lower than expected, and sometimes it's higher than expected. I've learned that it's not just the "quantity" (mph) of the wind, but it's also the "quality" of the wind. If the wind is gusty and constantly changing directions (even just small shifts in direction), then power production will suffer. A nice, constant, steady wind is what makes the best power, but I've found that in real life it seems that wind is usually more erratic than it is constant and steady. Just keep in mind that my 600 watts @ 16 mph is an approximation made during varying wind conditions. If a turbine was set up in a wind tunnel environment, then you could get a much more accurate and repeatable power output at any given wind speed.

If you have average wind conditions of 16 mph, then that sounds quite good. When you say "average", do you mean that if you measured wind conditions for 3 months, that the average daily wind speed is 16 mph if you factor in each and every day during that 3 month period? If so, then that sound like a decent wind site.

By the way, my HY-2000 is an older model and I've heard that HY Energy made some changes (improvements) to the HY-2000 wind turbine. Apparently, the factory now makes the HY-2000 with 5 blades. The generating head is also a little different than my older model. Also, they now have a newer controller that is supposed to be much better than the original controller. In my case, I don't use the factory supplied controller anyway, since I use the Classic (which I really like). I have heard that Windmax in the US does not carry the latest, improved HY-2000. Some people have purchased directly from the HY Energy factory in which case you would get the newer version of the HY-2000. Windmax might have old stock of the older version. I have the older version and I am happy with it. The newer version with 5 blades should theoretically put out more power at lower wind speeds, but I don't know from personal experience how they actually compare.

Edward

lindsley
June 2nd, 2012, 21:18 PDT
Thank for the reply, certainly helps.
The average wind speed was calculated over a period of time. more than 3 months.
Here is the data on this website.
http://www.windfinder.com/windstats/windstatistic_vieux_fort_st_lucia.htm

I live three miles from the site observed.

I have an ARI 450W and it is said to be the same as the HY. with my wind speed I have seen a max of 6 amps at 24 volts. I was hoping to purchase the Hy2000 at 48 volts to charge my 24v bank of 620AH forklift batteries.
As it stands my turbine is not contributing much to my system. most of the charge comes from 3 270 watt PV units. I need more but was hoping to complement the Solar with wind so at least at night the load would be shared with the turbine.

Thanks again for the information.

Lindsley

niel
June 2nd, 2012, 21:52 PDT
the wind turbine aside i believe you should add more pv to it to at least get one reliable power source to charge the batteries. as it is you are most likely under a 5% charge rate and could be hurting the batteries by undercharging them. once the solar has some reliability then play with the wind. you won't usually reap much power from the wind anyway and it's most likely to go down for maintenance being it is mechanical and moves.

keyturbocars
June 5th, 2012, 18:56 PDT
I agree with Neil is probably a more reliable source of consistent power if you live in a sunny area. In addition, solar is probably a better bang for your buck in terms of $/kwh. Of course, all that assumes an area with an abundance of sunshine.

Also, on the HY-2000, the controller would not work with a 24V battery bank. All the controls and voltage setpoints would be wrong. If you'd like to expand your wind power, something like the HY-1000 in the 24V version is selling for $899 right now at Windmax, last I saw. Much more economical than $2600 for the HY-2000 and then needing to come up with a whole new control system for your 24V battery bank. You could do what I did and go with a Classic 150, but running at 24V would reduce your peak power capacity in the Classic and you would need 2 of them. You can see what I mean here:

http://www.midnitesolar.com/images/classicFrontPage/graphs.php

Two Classics would add another $1600 or so to your system cost, and you'd still need to build the rest of the control system. By the time you add it all up, you will be at OVER $5000 and have a fair amount of work to do. All that to say, I'd say that a HY-2000 might not be cost effective for your 24V battery bank. That's why I say that $899 for a HY-1000 24V version might be much more reasonable.

http://www.magnet4less.com/product_info.php?cPath=8_116&products_id=719

By the way, my understanding was that the ARI turbines were just "copies" of the HY Energy turbines, but from what I've seen they are not up to the same level of quality and power output of the HY turbines. They just look the same. Typically Chinese copycat approach.

Good luck on whatever you pursue.